Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch tripped and won't switch back.

Options
  • 24-10-2017 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭

Evening all. I've an issue with a switch on our fuse board which tripped this evening and won't switch back. It's our first house so I've never had to deal with this sort of issue before. Is it just a case of getting a new switch/fuse per the pics attached or is this something that requires an electrician?

Apologies for the question if it's about daft but the most I've ever had to do with changing anything electrical, is fuse in aplug and a lightbulb holder.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

What's not working in the house? If it's sockets plug out everything and try resetting it. If it resets plug back in everything one by one until it trips again.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Evening all. I've an issue with a switch on our fuse board which tripped this evening and won't switch back. It's our first house so I've never had to deal with this sort of issue before. Is it just a case of getting a new switch/fuse per the pics attached or is this something that requires an electrician?

Apologies for the question if it's about daft but the most I've ever had to do with changing anything electrical, is fuse in aplug and a lightbulb holder.

You need to unplug the items on that circuit. Then see will switch reset. You probably have a faulty device plugged in. Have you a fridge or washing machines plugged in ? Are they on that circuit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Cheers, it's some sockets that aren't working. Will go through each one and see. Thanks.

Thanks guys. It was the radio that tripped it. Will try a new fuse in its plug tomorrow.

Love these sections of boards which give practical and useful advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

A fuse shouldn't be causing overcurrent in the MCB, could the radio have got wet? Could be packed in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Thanks guys. It was the radio that tripped it. Will try a new fuse in its plug tomorrow.

If the mcb wouldn't reset with the radio plugged in it's not a fuse issue. Normally the radio develops fault, trips mcb and possibly blows its own fuse in plug.
    Check drier flex for damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 clemop

If the radio is tripping the fuse then it's very unlikely the fuse in the plug has anything to do with it. It's either too much load on the circuit or a short in the radio. If the fuse in the plug was blown the radio simply wouldn't work. I'd check the wiring in the plug, check the radio isn't wet and there's no obviously wiring shorts in the radio (burn marks on circuit board etc). After that I'd get a new radio.

clemop wrote: »
    If the radio is tripping the fuse then it's very unlikely the fuse in the plug has anything to do with it. It's either too much load on the circuit or a short in the radio. If the fuse in the plug was blown the radio simply wouldn't work. I'd check the wiring in the plug, check the radio isn't wet and there's no obviously wiring shorts in the radio (burn marks on circuit board etc). After that I'd get a new radio.

Cheers. Radio is old. I checked all the devices plugged in to the sockets on that switch and the radio is the one which causes the issue. It's a good excuse to get a new one. There's no burn marks I can see and no water near the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

The plug top fuse should really have blown too, (but not always depends on the "curve" of the fuse compared to the MCB).

It may be worth opening the plug top to see if there is any burning etc. Replace it if there is.

As others have stated simply changing the fuse will not stop the MCB tripping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Id get that isolator and 63amp fuse swapped for a proper switch fuse module. The link from the isolator to the fuse tends to fail.

• Advertisement

Thanks all. Electrician out this morning. Looks like it's an outdoor light where the light fitting had rusted through so maybe letting in rain. Getting it replaced so hopefully no further issues.

Advertisement