Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pheasant hunting tips

Options
  • 24-10-2017 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I've finally gotten around to getting my gun license sorted and purchasing my first shotgun. With Pheasant season soon coming up I’m eager to get started.

Any advice for someone who is new to the hunting scene?

My girlfriends farmlands are a run with plenty of cock pheasants so finding a good spot to start with is not a problem.The father hunted for many years and we have two springers but i think theyre getting a bit old for the hunting at this stage, so would probably just be myself without a dog , for now anyway. Im currently a serving member in the Defence forces so gun handling etc is not a problem , im looking more for tips on the actual hunting of the bird.
    Thanks for any advice :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If your springers are still fit and healthy and have hunted before take them out. They don't forget how to hunt, it's in their nature. If they're getting on in age a wee bit they'll still hunt well for a few hours but will need a good feed and rest after but so does every dog.

You'll be wasting your time without a dog. A pheasant's main defense is to run, not fly, at the first sign of trouble so most will do that well before you spot them. If they get caught out in cover, and they tend to be the birds you'll get a shot at, they will not budge unless flushed. Unless you have a springer to flush or a pointer to indicate you will literally have to beat every inch of cover yourself. In a ditch full of autumn leaves, briars and branches a pheasant is better camouflaged than an ARW sniper.

Other tips; don't go too early. You want the sun to be well up for the pheasants to be foraging on the ground. They don't jump of their roosting branch at the first light of dawn. Also let them fly a couple of seconds before you fire. A decent cartridge out of a decent gun will knock a pheasant at a good distance. A bag of feathery mince full of shot isn't a nice meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,101 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Try to get someone to go out with.
    It's hard to pick it up on the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭GolfVI

If your springers are still fit and healthy and have hunted before take them out. They don't forget how to hunt, it's in their nature. If they're getting on in age a wee bit they'll still hunt well for a few hours but will need a good feed and rest after but so does every dog.

Ah ones 15 years old and half blind so i think she’ll be out of the question😂

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭GolfVI

elperello wrote: »
    Try to get someone to go out with.
    It's hard to pick it up on the web.

Yeah i know a few lads in work who have been at it a small while so hopefully ill get time to tag along with them

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

I'm afraid it doesn't happen without a dog, chances aof a wild pheasant getting up at your feet are slim .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ace86

GolfVI wrote: »
    Ah ones 15 years old and half blind so i think she’ll be out of the question😂
    You will definitely need a dog regardless or it will be along day walking meeting nothing and u get fed up with it and give it up and throw away the gun altogether. Bring old dog to vet to see how it is and wat the vet says and if she’s good to go for a few hrs if u hit the right spot u will have a good few hrs on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I'm afraid it doesn't happen without a dog, chances aof a wild pheasant getting up at your feet are slim .

Unless you don't have the gun with you, then the feckers get up every few yards :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Spend all you money on a good dog and buy a shotgun with whats left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Yes and not to forget that with a dog you have a good chance finding a wounded bird. A real good dog, and you won't loose any. So it's about having respect for your quarry as much as anything. I know this is something you probably can't do right now, but I'd certainly be making a plan for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Spend all you money on a good dog and buy a shotgun with whats left.

Exactly. I judge a game shot by his dog, not his gun. I shot with two lads and they'd always have Beretta or Bennelli. Same lads would buy expensive dogs and do nothing with them, hadn't patience and dogs ended up pets. Needless to say the two boys will be ringing around this week looking for someone to take them out for a shot. Hope they don't read this ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

I'd also add that electronic ear muffs, especially if going out with others, make an under rated safety and comfort addition!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Staloejunior

Can you contact your local gun club and see if you could tag along to see what way different breeds of dogs hunt and you can make your own decision if you are to invest in a dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

i used to be like you first season i had no dog i still went out you would have better luck beating your lad off a torn bush because your just wrecked from following birds around fields that wont get up all they do is run and run and sometimes you might get lucky and they'll get up. second season was approaching right to hell with this went away and bought a dog i got a Llewellyn setter that retrieves which was a bonus to be fair, she points woodcock,pheasants, snipe, foxes. my advice to you start looking for a dog sometimes you get lucky on donedeal or facebook get an absolute cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

What part of the world are ya in, is there any gun clubs in you’re area,?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

No question about it.You hunt birds, a bird dog is a must.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement