Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ballymaloe Relish?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I had a quick search before and found the locked thread from 2012 that actually mentions yer man and what he did but I expected that things would have died down since then rather than going the other way. The actual incident happened way back in 2003. Nearly a full 15 years ago.

And they did move him out of the family home to a small cottage on the grounds.
    So that's all right.

As Darina said in a subsequent interview "A bit of a hoo-haa" over very little. (children).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭dinorebel

This thread has the mods in a real pickle.

they're relishing it really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Google Tim Allen

That didn't help at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I wouldn't even watch their cookery programmes on TV. The guy who does the "How to cook well" show is related as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

sligojoek wrote: »
    I wouldn't even watch their cookery programmes on TV. The guy who does the "How to cook well" show is related as well.

Rory O'Connell, Darina's brother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Tasteless.

The thread not the relish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I had a phase of liking it a few years ago but have no real reason to it now.
    Just in my observation tough ever since the families incident it has become more and more popular!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

nullzero wrote: »
    It's quite nice to be fair, but the paedo relish tag seems to be reasonably ubiquitous in relation to it. People don't forget these things even if sites like this have to lock threads in fear of legal action. The family seem a peculiar bunch, a little removed from the reality of Irish life (in my opinion anyway).

Hopefully I've gotten my point to across without warranting a ban.

The threads only get locked when the other theory about the incident gets brought up.

Like I suspect it may do soon, now that I've mentioned it.

• Advertisement

The amount of bans and cards. I didn't realise Ballymaloe relish was such a touchy subject

The amount of bans and cards. I didn't realise Ballymaloe relish was such a touchy subject

FFS don't mention "Touchy"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Conspectus wrote: »
    Mod-Locked while I dole out the cards and bans.

7 cards and a ban in 13 posts. Wouldn't even get this in a terrorist attack thread.
    Now cop the fück on and less of the backhanded references to pedophilia.

Reopened for now
    davycc wrote: »
    No it's made by peados!
    Boycott that crap.
    Mod note: Just a reminder folks, no pedophilia references,

Thanks in advance,

Buford T. Justice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Mod note: Just a reminder folks, no pedophilia references,

Thanks in advance,

Buford T. Justice.

Apologies didn't see the warning until the last post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Like it but it's too expensive when they're much cheaper alternatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Yes. But I don't buy it due to reasons alluded to previously in the thread. Surprised at the ban on references to a publicly named convicted person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Gussied up ketchup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

What's the different flavours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

What's the different flavours.

Virgin olives and baby tomatoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

The so-called spicy version also isn't that spicy, as in I have to concentrate really hard to notice the spicyness in it.

What do you make of the stuff?

When the spicy one first came out it was a lot spicier and had a bit of a kick ,but for some reason they toned it down since. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

When the spicy one first came out it was a lot spicier and had a bit of a kick ,but for some reason they toned it down since. :(

The newer spicy one isn't spicy at all, its so mild its almost kid friendly.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

From page 1 to 5, what a wild ride :pac:

Why can't you make comment about convicted pedophiles now? Genuinely curious about all the cards and bans on the first page. Martyrs for the relish cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Many years ago my sister had an extreme allergic reaction to it. Which we later found out to have been an anaphylactic reaction. They were trying to find the exact cause so my mum rang the company to ask about their ingredients. They refused to tell her because it was a secret. I think they just listed spices but wouldn't say which spices. My sister could have died so my mum was not impressed with their attitude. It's been banned in our house ever since!

Therefore I vote no.

But it is kinda nice (please don't tell my mammy).

The hidden ingredient is tears, children's tears. Y'know, cos the whole paedo thing and jokes and whatnot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I hate it when companies fiddle with things like that, even if they are only minor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

sabat wrote: »

I hate it when companies fiddle with things like that, even if they are only minor.

Oh this one is good, bravo sir.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

.red. wrote: »
    The newer spicy one isn't spicy at all, its so mild its almost kid friendly.....

I find with some particular versions of relish there may be a lot of hidden additives which may make them unsuitable for children.

Virgin olives and baby tomatoes.

Any new flavours for Christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

Google Tim Allen

Ah yes, Tim 'The Toolman'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Allen

But what has this got to do with a relish I ask...

Ah yes, Tim 'The Toolman'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Allen

But what has this got to do with a relish I ask...
    He was putting his tool where it didn't belong.

alledgedly

and not that Tim Allen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

Astonishing that "terrorist attack threads" are now so frequent, they act as a kind of reference point for cards (which this thread has laughably managed to exceed).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Jesus that went downhill fast :eek:

On topic (assuming the op actually intended to start a serious thread).... try the aldi knock-off versions. Probably made by the same crowd but far nicer IMHO.

No, not made by the Allen family, they are made by follain teoranta in ballyvourney, and yes they are far superior.
    eviltwin wrote: »
    Nope, wouldn't knowingly give money to someone who has been convicted of possession of child abuse images or those who support them.

977 iirc, one of the most irritating things is Darina “standing by her man” :mad: I’ve never and will never touch anything from them again.

Bugs me how the RTE love-in with Ballymalloe continues, like nothing happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

What do you make of the stuff?

National headlines!

It goes lovely with Turkey, anything else Ballmaloe relish goes well with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

It goes lovely with Turkey, anything else Ballmaloe relish goes well with?

Cheese.

It's not made by Darina and Tim, it's made by some cousins of theirs. Like people totally unassociated with the charges. It's called Ballymaloe after the hotel, not the cookery school.

But sure don't let that get on the way of all the hilarious jokes in this thread.

Cheese.

It's not made by Darina and Tim, it's made by some cousins of theirs. Like people totally unassociated with the charges. It's called Ballymaloe after the hotel, not the cookery school.

But sure don't let that get on the way of all the hilarious jokes in this thread.

http://ballymaloefoods.ie/about-us/

Pretty clear from the link that it's just another branch of the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Neyite wrote: »
    http://ballymaloefoods.ie/about-us/

It's mass produced industrial muck marketed as being a lovely home made type product

Even fcking McDonald's were using the stuff in their burgers as far as I remember

I have tasted it and Imo it's pure gloop

It so much easier to make a really good home made chutney for very little that tastes a million times better ...

On the other issue - I think this thread should be nominated as one of the classic threads on Boards- there is a list somewhere of those threads that made history for one reason or another...brilliant :pac:

I make my own too. I'm making Chilli Jam this weekend too for Christmas.

Neyite wrote:

A branch that has nothing whatsoever to do with Tim Allen. I just don't think it's fair to be labelling all the people that work in that factory as paedos. The relish business is run by a different part of the family. No one is going around calling all of Tom Humphries relatives kiddy fiddlers. It's ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

A branch that has nothing whatsoever to do with Tim Allen. I just don't think it's fair to be labelling all the people that work in that factory as paedos. The relish business is run by a different part of the family. No one is going around calling all of Tom Humphries relatives kiddy fiddlers. It's ridiculous.

So why move him out of the house, to try and distance him from the company?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

I know ppl living and working in that area and well put it this way, sometimes a parent will do anything for their child, if u catch my meaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I doubt Tim himself is stirring a cast iron big pot of relish with a ladle. Though even if he was it still wouldn't put me off. So what he had some pictures stored on a PC back 15 years ago he really doesn't deserve to keep getting vilified for that forever more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I doubt Tim himself is stirring a cast iron big pot of relish with a ladle. Though even if he was it still wouldn't put me off. So what he had some pictures stored on a PC back 15 years ago he really doesn't deserve to keep getting vilified for that forever more

Yes he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

judeboy101 wrote: »
    I know ppl living and working in that area and well put it this way, sometimes a parent will do anything for their child, if u catch my meaning.

This thread is really getting out of hand.
    Whatever about tasteless remarks being made about someone who was convicted of a crime, the above is baseless innuendo.

'Some pictures'

Children getting their little lives destroyed, ending up as damaged adults due to the abuse and rapes inflicted on them. All so some pervert can tug the lad off himself while looking at them. I don't care if it's 15 or 50 years ago, people don't grow out of sexual appetite like that. The only peado I'd trust around my kid is a dead one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

:eek:
    Tell that to the children that were abused or killed for those perverts to get their kicks. Vile bastard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I watched the Myrtle Allen docu and it seems to me that Ballymaloe deserves to be thought of indepentent of Tim Allen.

They have a rich history which a lot of people, past and present, have played their parts in and I feel it would a shame if that was all tarnished because of the actions of one man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

What a thread, classic AH. I love this on a cheese sandwich though it is a bit sweet. No idea about the past convictions learn something new every day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Never seen so many yellow and red cards in a single thread.

Red means death, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

eviltwin wrote: »
    Nope, wouldn't knowingly give money to someone who has been convicted of possession of child abuse images or those who support them.

Likewise, have been boycotting it for years, in fact it is the only product I boycott.
    Yes. But I don't buy it due to reasons alluded to previously in the thread. Surprised at the ban on references to a publicly named convicted person.

Was thinking the same. He has been convicted and as the truth is an accepted defence to defamation then anyone is allowed to call him for what he got convicted for, i.e paedophilia. He never abused kids but had pictures of them being abused which shows he has a sexual attraction to children. That is the definition of a paedophile so I am not sure why mods are trying to ban us talking about his public conviction before the Irish courts. It is a vital part of justice and a functioning democracy that these things are allowed to be discussed. So long as no-one is making further unproven allegations against the man then the mods have nothing to fear here.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    So why move him out of the house, to try and distance him from the company?

That was to distance him from the cookery school, where the Allens live, not the relish company, which is made off near Cork city somewhere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement