Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Requirement for Aircraft Warning Lights on Tall Structures

Options
  • 25-10-2017 8:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

What are the requirements for aircraft warning lights on tall structures?

I noticed that one of three telecommunications masts on the top of a hill has none but the other two do. All are of roughly equal height and between 200 - 300 m from each other.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ned14

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand the tallest structure within a maximum radius must be lighted. So for example, not every wind turbine in a wind farm will have a light on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

if the structure is outside an airport territory or approach path and shorter than 500ft AGL, from the aviation standpoint there is no requirement for it to be lit. Mast operators can light them at their own will to prevent any accidents. If it is indeed higher than 500ft or within approach path, all masts should be lit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Thanks.
    This is on Howth Hill, which I assume is near but outside Dublin Airport's approach paths?
    The mast is shorter than 500 ft AGL (Above Ground Level?) but certainly more than 500 ft above sea level, with sea within 1 - 2 km to north, south and east.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Thanks.
    This is on Howth Hill, which I assume is near but outside Dublin Airport's approach paths?
    The mast is shorter than 500 ft AGL (Above Ground Level?) but certainly more than 500 ft above sea level, with sea within 1 - 2 km to north, south and east.

Howth would definitely be of interest for aviation not just because of Dublin Airport, but also because of Lambay transit route which is designed for small aircraft to get past the airport traffic in a very low altitude in North - South direction. The lights are probably out of service for whatever reason, but if they don't come back in next few days I would raise concerns with IAA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Thanks for the info. I'll drop them a line.

• Advertisement
Advertisement