Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this "housing crisis " only affecting pockets of the country?

Options
  • 25-10-2017 8:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

Hi , the reason I'm asking is I was told yesterday by someone who would be regarded as being high up in the housing dept of a county council .. I must say I was taken aback when he told me that he's very proud of the fact not one of his clients are in emergency accommodation, i.e. , hotel rooms ! Now the county council would be in a fairly affluent part of dublin ..
    so is this housing crisis only affecting certain areas or was I being lied to yesterday ..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I was gonna say, pockets like the east coast, Cork city and environs , and parts of Galway, so not much really..
    . . But there may be something in what you were told..But would have thought it the otherway around there are pockets (well heeled burbs) of cities that don't have a homeless crisis..
    The city centres will always have more of a problem than the outlying areas,

. . . and if housing is very expensive in an area that you live you'll move down the "chain" to a less expensive area, meaning less housing available there..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

As far as I know, Dublin City Council administer homeless services for all of the Dublin Local Authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

alias no.9 wrote: »
    As far as I know, Dublin City Council administer homeless services for all of the Dublin Local Authorities.

Not sure you're right on this one because his exact words were " I'm extremely proud here in xxxxxxx county council that not one of our clients are in emergency housing , we don't do hotel rooms , unlike other county councils in the county "

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 RichardEGrant

Housing crisis affects everywhere - long waiting lists for social housing in all counties.
    Homeless people everywhere, except Leitrim
    search engine: Department of Housing, Planning & Local Government Homelessness Report August 2017

As stated, there is only one Council responsible for homeless services in Co. Dublin, therefore it is entirely possible that "xxxxxxx county council" have no homeless clients on their books.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

hawkelady wrote: »
    Not sure you're right on this one because his exact words were " I'm extremely proud here in xxxxxxx county council that not one of our clients are in emergency housing , we don't do hotel rooms , unlike other county councils in the county "

Where are they then? Sleeping on the streets, in a hostel, sleeping on sofas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown?

January wrote: »
    Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Markcheese

There's a big difference between on a social housing list and being homeless ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    There's a big difference between on a social housing list and being homeless ...

I'm aware of that .....but media/ housing groups / ministers going on about how wrong it is that people/kids are living in hotel rooms (it is wrong btw) and it's at breaking point etc whereas on the other hand a DL/R cc is saying privately that there is not one person on their books that's in that situation .... so everyone on the housing list in dl/r has a house/apt and no one is living in emergency accommodation .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

hawkelady wrote:
    Hi , the reason I'm asking is I was told yesterday by someone who would be regarded as being high up in the housing dept of a county council .. I must say I was taken aback when he told me that he's very proud of the fact not one of his clients are in emergency accommodation, i.e. , hotel rooms ! Now the county council would be in a fairly affluent part of dublin .. so is this housing crisis only affecting certain areas or was I being lied to yesterday ..

The housing crisis is a lot bigger than people in shelters. This guy that's high up is talking through his backside or else he was lying. All the councils in Dublin have people in shelters, B&Bs or guesthouses. All of them.

The housing crisis is basically a shortage of houses in most parts of the country & definitely all of Dublin. There are not enough homes to rent. Rents are sky high. People are stuck in their parents house as they can't rent anywhere. There are not enough homes for sale.

Granted there are over 7000 people officially homeless but that's only a part of the housing crisis. The homeless crisis is affecting 10s of thousands of people renting or trying to rent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

January wrote:
    Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown?

There's corporation areas here too. Big drug problem in parts of Dun Laoghaire. Also plenty sleeping rough there too

Advertisement