Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RV Rental in the USA

Options
  • 25-10-2017 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,189 ✭✭✭✭

I have always wanted to drive across a couple of states in a RV. I'm presently thinking about going in December and spending 7-10 days driving along some of the west coast. Has anyone done this and are you willing to share the pros and cons?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

I know we looked in to doing it last year. We compared prices of doing it RV style or driving a car and staying in hotels. The car and hotels worked out far cheaper from our research. Cons for the RV was, the cost per day is small but once you start adding on all the extras it quickly mounts up. Fuel is a big expense, ok it’s cheap at average 2.10 a gallon but most RVs have massive engines so compare a 6 litre petrol engine to a 1.4 litre car and you quickly see the difference. A lot of extras tagged on to the RV rental price, ie: bedding pillows blankets sheets etc, cutlery and dishes etc, on board generator chargeable per 1/4 hour run time etc etc. A big turn off for us was the fact you can only park the RV in dedicated campsites so your charged per night and if you want to plug in to the campsite electricity that’s extra too. Most of the campsites we looked at where miles outside the nearest town or city so if you want to get away from the campsite your paying for buses or taxis. We worked it out that for the price the holiday was costing us to do in an RV we could rent a decent SUV and spend an average of 120 bucks a night on a hotel. That’s just a quick example of what we found hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

I hired an RV from 'Go Vacations' in San Francisco and dropped it off in LA about 2 weeks later. During January. One of the best holidays of my entire life. We went to Utah, Nevada, California, Colorado and Arizona. Sure it's not cheap but the freedom is exhilarating.

We camped wild most of the time but used RV parks sometimes for showers. No problem stopping anywhere for the night. Never got moved on.

January was mostly dry and sunny and spring-like but take warm clothes if you want to go to mountain areas like Yosemite.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,189 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Thanks for the replies, did you have any problems getting the RV with a standard Irish car licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

I used my UK licence, no problem at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

We were thinking of doing it last year as my sister lives in San Franciso and has a house in Tahoe.

If you want to chance your arm you can deliver R.Vs for the hire companies for as little as $1 per day on short notice.

e.g. Salt Lake city to San Francisco 7 days to deliver, $1 per day plus $200 towards fuel.
    https://www.imoova.com/imoova/relocations
    https://www.transfercarus.com/search?sort_col=extras&view_by=list&page=1

You can also book to deliver new motorhomes or return motorhome on one way trips for small money e.g. Chicago to Sacramento pretty far in advance for $25-$30 per night:
    https://www.cruiseamerica.com/rent/hot_deals/#

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,189 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

This is probably overkill for two of us, but we will spend 10 days touring around California, Arizona and Nevada starting next week.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Ah no, this would be overkill, ladies and gents when I win the lotto, the Winnebago Grand Tourer

Grandolerv.jpg

Advertisement