Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ok you're an Atheist

• 25-10-2017 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

You don't believe in God,woo,magic or a spiritual realm.

You don't accept any evidence put forward by anyone who are not putting up scientific evidence.

Then when someone puts forward their own theory, they're ran ragged trying to explain what they mean.

Agnostics seem to have more of an interest and willing to be more open minded.

What's the point in having an Atheism and Agnosticism forum ?

All I read now is something to do with half baked politics, abortion, Iona institutions....and other boring debates.

Is this forum getting to snow flakey ?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, this will last long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

well, this will last long.

Well that's what I'm expecting magicbastader
    I don't think the post will get far.

I appreciate your honesty though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Then when someone puts forward their own theory, they're ran ragged trying to explain what they mean.
    Well, that can be useful when the theory was ragged and generally unfit for purpose to start with - as pretty much all religious output is.

A+A, on the other hand, is a public discussion forum, so feel free to contribute to a public discussion if you'd like.

Alternatively, if you continue in the wayward and fistwavey tone above, you'll likely be feeling the warm comforting toe of a moderator's boot before too long.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

You don't believe in God,woo,magic or a spiritual realm.

I don't believe in God, Kali, unicorns, the flying spaghetti monster, or any other god or gods. Put another way, I believe in one less god than most Christians.
    You don't accept any evidence put forward by anyone who are not putting up scientific evidence.

You might want to explain the difference between evidence and religious dogma there. Perhaps give us your definition of evidence.

All I read now is something to do with half baked politics, abortion, Iona institutions....and other boring debates.

You have a point there in that many of the discussions relate more to secularism than atheism or agnosticism and this should possibly be reflected in the title.

No more than it ever has been, largely due to an ongoing precipitation of self-righteous and ill-informed zealots treating this place as a pulpit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Good point smacl - I'd be in favour of changing the name to Atheism, Agnosticism and Secularism, if only to keep building on the word count in my 'mod description'. The abbreviation would also distinguish us from Aviation and Aircraft :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Hoagy

I probably learn more about religion in this forum than any other.

Sky god was a first for me,then from being on other forum's I learned about the crusades, mother Theresa,the way people were badly treated by the church etc
    About Galelio and the pope.

Orphanages, so called God wills it in battle.

Without reading about all that stuff,I'd be still oblivious to it all.

This forum has its uses, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

It's called peer review. If you fail it, it's usually because your theory doesn't mean anything.

Pretty sure that every atheist on this forum is also agnostic.
    Besides, accepting something without evidence or argument doesn't make you open minded, quite the opposite.

Does complaining about about being asked to actually justify their claims make someone a snowflake? Maybe, but that's not the forums fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,349 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Who is it you are actually talking to, because you do not appear to be talking to me for example.

Why? Because I for one never say "scientific" evidence.

What I say is "Have you any arguments, evidence, data or reasoning to offer that lends credence to the claim our universe was created by a non-human intelligent intentional agent".

Where in that is science mentioned?

Yup, welcome to the real world :) When you are putting forward a theory, then taking pains and effort to explain yourself is sorta what is expected of you. Are you suggesting in any way that this is not a good thing?

Read my statement above (the one that does not mention science). I would be agog to hear what is not open minded about it.

I will defer to Micheal Nugent on this one who, if your attention span stretches to 10 minutes, explained this one quite well. The same answer he gave there, I would give here.

Why do you think atheists have any interest in having these discussions?

I'm an atheist, not a bloody target for conversion. Like, fcuk off away from me tbh.

robindch wrote: »
    Well, that can be useful when the theory was ragged and generally unfit for purpose to start with - as pretty much all religious output is.

A+A, on the other hand, is a public discussion forum, so feel free to contribute to a public discussion if you'd like.

Alternatively, if you continue in the wayward and fistwavey tone above, you'll likely be feeling the warm comforting toe of a moderator's boot before too long.

Lol fistwavey, seriously dude or dudess.... Im not here to start a fight.

You've a history of running people away from these discussions, banning people who don't adhere to your makeyuppy principles....

• Advertisement

Who is it you are actually talking to, because you do not appear to be talking to me for example.

Why? Because I for one never say "scientific" evidence.

What I say is "Have you any arguments, evidence, data or reasoning to offer that lends credence to the claim our universe was created by a non-human intelligent intentional agent".

Where in that is science mentioned?

Yup, welcome to the real world :) When you are putting forward a theory, then taking pains and effort to explain yourself is sorta what is expected of you. Are you suggesting in any way that this is not a good thing?

Read my statement above (the one that does not mention science). I would be agog to hear what is not open minded about it.

I will defer to Micheal Nugent on this one who, if your attention span stretches to 10 minutes, explained this one quite well. The same answer he gave there, I would give here.

Michael Nugent lol why bring that guy into the discussion,sure he's enough on his plate no doubt... helping people out and heading his own organisation...

You've a history of running people away from these discussions, banning people who don't adhere to your makeyuppy principles....

I watched that clip,it's only a bit of light hearted humour.

Would you like to give an example of 'running people away' and tell us what our 'makeyuppy principles' are?

You have not yet dealt with a single response yet, apart from agreeing that the thread will not last long. This is indeed true; if there is no argument forthcoming beyond vague generalities everyone will get bored with your 'discussion'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,349 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Michael Nugent lol why bring that guy into the discussion

You will find I included the reason I mentioned him while mentioning him. Go read it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

A lot of posters, believers or not, are not really interested in debating the existence or otherwise of God, it's been done before and unless there are new developments it's just rehashing the same old stuff.

The other stuff you mention, abortion, politics etc are relevant because we have a say and the impact will be felt by all. There is nothing wrong with debating the current abortion laws or religion in school etc etc and they make for interesting and informative threads.

Well, then don't roll up waving your electronic fists about the place trying to slag off the forum and the posters who make it what it is :rolleyes:
    Unfortunately, some posters stop by A+A, post a few unhelpful messages and head away again. Very few are banned except the most persistent and obvious trolls and rule-breakers - you're a long way from them at the moment and that's good - please try to keep it that way.

As above, you are entirely free to hang around and contribute to the discussion, engage in civil debate and so on, but if the best you can do is contribute at the low tone you're currently using, then as above, it's likely that neither you nor this thread will survive very long into the future.

Thanking youze.

robindch wrote: »
    Well, then don't roll up waving your electronic fists about the place trying to slag off the forum and the posters who make it what it is :rolleyes:Unfortunately, some posters stop by A+A, post a few unhelpful messages and head away again. Very few are banned except the most persistent and obvious trolls and rule-breakers - you're a long way from them at the moment and that's good - please try to keep it that way.

As above, you are entirely free to hang around and contribute to the discussion, engage in civil debate and so on, but if the best you can do is contribute at the low tone you're currently using, then as above, it's likely that neither you nor this thread will survive very long into the future.

Thanking youze.

Thanks Robin

From reading the replies from my op I have my answers.
    I suppose sometimes I ask the questions some people don't ask, but have thought about doing so.

Nothing wrong with deviations now and again and asking questions.

I'm a pagan myself and have my own beliefs and practices.

Anyhow thanks for the heads up ;)

eviltwin wrote: »
    A lot of posters, believers or not, are not really interested in debating the existence or otherwise of God, it's been done before and unless there are new developments it's just rehashing the same old stuff.

The other stuff you mention, abortion, politics etc are relevant because we have a say and the impact will be felt by all. There is nothing wrong with debating the current abortion laws or religion in school etc etc and they make for interesting and informative threads.

Point taken.
    There's a lot of different personalities and people of different diversity,and yes indeed it makes debating interesting.

If we were all the same we'd learn nothing and life would be quite boring....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

A couple of people have already raised this point, but could you please clarify what exactly you mean here in terms of evidence.

I don't think that many, if any, people on here would be dismissive of actual evidence of something, unless we have very different understandings of what evidence actually is?

A couple of people have already raised this point, but could you please clarify what exactly you mean here in terms of evidence.

I don't think that many, if any, people on here would be dismissive of actual evidence of something, unless we have very different understandings of what evidence actually is?

There's different understanding s of evidence.

The majority of non believer's in woo,god, spirit's and different frequencies do not cross the Rubicon of what the curious or on the fence people perceive as evidence.

Yet put a non believer in a creepy castle or old house for a night on their own,more than likely they would be unnerved.

I wouldn't be bothered or find anything scary about inanimate objects or creaking furniture.
    Or the wind whispering the cure just like heaven through the keyhole.....

Would you chop down a fairy tree, plough through a leyline.....

• Advertisement

There's different understanding s of evidence.

The majority of non believer's in woo,god, spirit's and different frequencies do not cross the Rubicon of what the curious or on the fence people perceive as evidence.

Yet put a non believer in a creepy castle or old house for a night on their own,more than likely they would be unnerved.

I wouldn't be bothered or find anything scary about inanimate objects or creaking furniture.
    Or the wind whispering the cure just like heaven through the keyhole.....

Is there some evidence in that answer?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't chop down trees, generally, unless they deserve it. show me a ley line, show me a plough, happy to do it.

i don't chop down trees, generally, unless they deserve it. show me a ley line, show me a plough, happy to do it.

Ok pm me your number
    I know a leyline....

looksee wrote: »
    there is evidence of something, but not what the poster intended, i think.

If there was logic to your reaction rather than a response id engage.

there is evidence of something, but not what the poster intended, i think.

Funny enough, evidence is one of those words that has quite different definitions in the various dictionaries, dictionary.com comes up with

'the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.'

whereas Merriam-Webster has the altogether woolier

'an outward sign'

and Collins has

'Evidence is anything that you see, experience, read, or are told that causes you to believe that something is true or has really happened.'

My take on that from the second two definitions is that evidence can be subjective and is a very long way from objective proof. I think the distinction between evidence and scientific evidence in the OP is entirely reasonable, i.e. religious belief systems might have the former while lacking the latter.

As for pagan beliefs, fairy trees etc... they certainly seem no less reasonable to me than any other religious beliefs floating about and probably resonate far better at a cultural level. e.g. we had the Straw boys make an unexpected but very welcome visit at a family wedding in Clare some years back. While I don't personally believe in any of the magical or mythical elements I really do enjoy the rich traditions, of which there are many.

If there was logic to your reaction rather than a response id engage.

Yes, that was my problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

smacl wrote: »
    I don't believe in God, Kali, unicorns, the flying spaghetti monster, or any other god or gods. Put another way, I believe in one less god than most Christians.

Which is not to say you don't believe in a god. Just not the ones mentioned.

Which is very like Christians. They only believe in the god they believe in, no others (well, in principle at least)

You might want to explain the difference between evidence and religious dogma there. Perhaps give us your definition of evidence.

I can give you an example of what a Religious Dogma is.

A religious dogma would suppose that "evidence is necessarily and only that which is empirically demonstrable and subject to scientific inquiry"

There is no evidence (as defined above) that that this religious dogma is correct. Rendering it a matter of personal belief. AKA a god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Why do you think atheists have any interest in having these discussions?

I'm an atheist, not a bloody target for conversion. Like, fcuk off away from me tbh.

Why do atheists have such a problem with theist beliefs that they spend so much time discussing and deriding those beliefs.
    You don't believe in God, that's your choice.
    Christians do, that's our choice. We're not asking you to believe ( well we are but you get the point I assume!)
    You guys need to get over the fact that some people believe in God and find something else to talk about.
    A&A talks more about God those those in the Christianity forum!

• Advertisement

Why do atheists have such a problem with theist beliefs that they spend so much time discussing and deriding those beliefs.
    Christians do, that's our choice. We're not asking you to believe ( well we are but you get the point I assume!)
    You guys need to get over the fact that some people believe in God and find something else to talk about.

Would you prefer if we came over to Christianity to 'discuss and deride'? :D

Which is not to say you don't believe in a god. Just not the ones mentioned.

Nope
    I don't believe in God, Kali, unicorns, the flying spaghetti monster, or any other god or gods.

You seem to have missed the point that the OP is actually a pagan and the thread isn't actually about your God

You seem to have missed the point that the OP is actually a pagan and the thread isn't actually about your God

The threads about God's,woo,and magic.....

I'm intrigued with different people's interpretation of evidence ?

There's different types of dance,so let's dance...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭smokingman

I have evidence you keep emus in your attic and force them to bake fairy cakes.
    I said that out loud and that is my evidence.

....that's how it works yeah?

smokingman wrote: »
    I have evidence you keep emus in your attic and force them to bake fairy cakes.

....that's how it works yeah?

Am seriously,are you for real.

Quit creative with your assumptions....

Next time you're shouting about imaginary bird's,enlighten me in higher case....

Amateurs.....

• Advertisement

Maybe give us a couple of examples of things that led you to believe what you believe so. Most gods, woo and magic that I've come across are largely tools used control the masses for either power or largely selfish gain. Not much difference between snake oil, homeopathy and holy water from where I'm sitting.

Am seriously,are you for real.

Quit creative with your assumptions....

Next time you're shouting about imaginary bird's,enlighten me in higher case....

Amateurs.....

That's not very open minded of you...

Would you prefer if we came over to Christianity to 'discuss and deride'? :D

You really just can't help yourselves :D
    For people who've no interest in God you sure spend a lot of time talking about him.

Are you sure you're not secret believers but just havent gotten up the courage to come "out"?

You really just can't help yourselves :D
    For people who've no interest in God you sure spend a lot of time talking about him.

Are you sure you're not secret believers but just havent gotten up the courage to come "out"?

Lol
    They're obsessed with God.....

Reminds of the homophobe who's obsessively giving out about gay's,and he inside in a gay sauna 3 nights a week lol

Atheists know more about the Bible and Jesus than Christian's....

Because I learned more about Christianity in the A+A forum than anywhere else....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

Ugh...seriously. The smug is oozing out of that one.

Yeah. That's it. Nothing to do with the fascination that grown ups can throw their whole weight behind a story on par with the toothfairy or santa...it's definately cos the forum is crushing on being closet thiests...

• Advertisement

Lol
    They're obsessed with God.....

Reminds of the homophobe who's obsessively giving out about gay's,and he inside in a gay sauna 3 nights a week lol

Atheists know more about the Bible and Jesus than Christian's....

Because I learned more about Christianity in the A+A forum than anywhere else....

So as a pagan, what exactly has you hanging around the A&A and Christianity forums, sauna closed?

That's not very open minded of you...

Well considering you think I'm breeding emu's in a dark attic....

That's an open mind,but obviously open to all types of conclusions...

Are you into bushcraft ?

Well considering you think I'm breeding emu's in a dark attic....

That's an open mind,but obviously open to all types of conclusions...

Are you into bushcraft ?
    I have crafted several bushes.

So as a pagan, what exactly has you hanging around the A&A and Christianity forums, sauna closed?

Because I'm intrigued with people's perceptions of evidence.....

I'm asking the Atheist not the thiest ?

I'm not making any claim that there's a such thing as God,woo,or magic...

I love the land and appreciate nature...

Atheism comes from the Abrahamic religion's....

I have crafted several bushes.

Well you must be smoking the clippings, I hear cratageus burn's well this time of year.

I wouldn't smoke taxus, they're poisonous.

The berries are nice though.

Atheism comes from the Abrahamic religion's....

I'm pretty sure there were atheists before then.
    ...unless you have evidence otherwise?

Second outing for this video in a week!

it's definately cos the forum is crushing on being closet thiests...
    Second only to "you're an atheist because it's fashionable just now" - which I've always felt says much more about the person claiming it than the target...

I wouldn't think so, I've no evidence but I'm sure they may have thought about whether there's a God or not.

Don't call me Otherwise....

You're the one making the claim .... where's the proof?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement