Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Routing services in Dublin/Wicklow

• 25-10-2017 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

For a project I'm working on I need to route a 3/32" T slot into the side of some 12mm MDF. I got a loan of a router, and ordered a bit, but it's the wrong size. The router takes a 1/2" bit and what I got is 1/4"...

I wouldn't use a router enough to justify buying one, and the bit took long enough to get here (plus routers terrify me!)

Is there anywhere in Dublin/Wicklow I could go and pay them to route the slot for me? It's only a small job, shouldn't take more than a few minutes, but I want it done properly!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

cutting it is easy.
    the problem is that that is one of the trickier cuts to do. the cutter is trapped until it comes out the other end.
    I would suggest that you get a smaller collet or a collet reducer but you are terrified. you are only asking for injury or ruining the piece.

as for who to help you I'm not sure

where did you get the cutter. I'm sure a good tool shop would be able to recommend a local carpenter to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭nimrod86

cutting it is easy.
    the problem is that that is one of the trickier cuts to do. the cutter is trapped until it comes out the other end.
    I would suggest that you get a smaller collet or a collet reducer but you are terrified. you are only asking for injury or ruining the piece.

as for who to help you I'm not sure

where did you get the cutter. I'm sure a good tool shop would be able to recommend a local carpenter to do it

Thanks for the reply. I got the cutter on eBay from China. I checked a few tool shop websites but they didn't list the size I needed!

I'm trying to put T-molding on the edge of a bar top arcade machine, is the cutter trapped until the end? I had assumed it could just be pressed against the edge and quickly ran around it? (I've never actually done routing before in case it wasn't obvious!)

Here's a quick photo of what I have, I want to put ½" T-molding around the edges of the side panels.

I think our wires have crossed.
    have you a link or pic of the cutter.

if your cutting on the edge with a bearing then it wont be trapped and is a very easy job that you should be able to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭phily2002

You should ask in the arcade and retro forum, I'd say you should find someone there to help you.

• Advertisement

I think our wires have crossed.
    have you a link or pic of the cutter.

if your cutting on the edge with a bearing then it wont be trapped and is a very easy job that you should be able to do

This is a similar cutter attached. Mine is a 1/4" shank. Problem is getting my hands on a 1/4" router.

nimrod86 wrote: »
    This is a similar cutter attached. Mine is a 1/4" shank. Problem is getting my hands on a 1/4" router.

Forgot to attach the picture...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Most 1/2 inch routers come with a collet adapter to take 1/4 inch bits, ask the person you got a loan of the router from has he got one , if not most power tool shops sell them. For future jobs it's easier to rout gooves before you cut the material into small pieces and assemble

Most 1/2 inch routers come with a collet adapter to take 1/4 inch bits, ask the person you got a loan of the router from has he got one , if not most power tool shops sell them. For future jobs it's easier to rout gooves before you cut the material into small pieces and assemble

I asked him and its long lost. Didn't know they could be not in shops, will look into that!

What brand router us it.
    Mcquillens in blanc hers town will have them . Any half decent tool shop will have one
    Google dewalt, makita, trend etc and your area and you will find a dealer for them

• Advertisement

What brand router us it.
    Mcquillens in blanc hers town will have them . Any half decent tool shop will have one
    Google dewalt, makita, trend etc and your area and you will find a dealer for them

Its a power fix lidl router, I'm going to give Scotts for tools in Bray ring first as they're handier to get to! If not I'll try Mcquillens.

I don't know anything about them. but the facebook page is a bit hit and miss for that kind of thing.
    you probably wont get a collet to suite a lidl router but worth asking. I don't know if the proper brand collets suite the lidl router.
    I would be aiming to get a reducing sleeve. probably cheaper than a collet even if you could find the appropriate type.

I called into Scotts in Bray today and they couldn't help me. I was then visiting my Grandparents and telling then about the hassle I'm having finding one.

They told me to phone my uncle, and turns out he has a ¼" router :) Collecting it tomorrow!

Thanks for the advice and tips guys :)

That's great.
    Report back on the cutter. How you find it ect

Advertisement