Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-Pollution masks for a toddler - any suggestions?

Options
  • 25-10-2017 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I travel to the centre of Dublin everyday with my 3 year old on the bike. There's lots of congestion, especially from Conygham Road to College Green.

I'm considering getting an anti-pollution mask for both of us as we both had quite a few spells of nasty coughs last winter. Plenty for adults but not a great selection for kids.

Anybody used one on a child or have any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've never seen (mind you, never looked for) what you're seeking - but i wouldn't sweat it too much; your kid would probably be exposed to a higher level of pollutants sitting in a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

i've never seen (mind you, never looked for) what you're seeking - but i wouldn't sweat it too much; your kid would probably be exposed to a higher level of pollutants sitting in a car.

I know, but I'd still like to reduce his exposure as much as possible.

His mouth is generally in the catching flies position! ðŸ˜

Neck warmer maybe? some are designed to be pulled up and worn over the mouth too but no Idea how effective they'd be vs a proper pollution mask :confused:

Be easier to source one of them for a child perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

How about a medical mask from the Pharmacy.My Wife uses one in her Job(she's a Chef) and she gets lots of sinus issues due to the aircon above her head and things like flour and just other ingredients that she uses.
    Having also travelled a lot around Asia, i seen that this is what they use to combat pollution.
    Easily available as well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Neck warmer maybe? some are designed to be pulled up and worn over the mouth too but no Idea how effective they'd be vs a proper pollution mask :confused:

Something like this: http://www.buffwear.com/buff-kids-collection ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I use face masks occasionally at work, but I think I might be hesitant to put something on my 3y/o that has straps around the head. Maybe I'm being over-cautious. Maybe a snood/neck warmer type thing might do the job?

Thanks for all the suggestions! As he is only (just turned) 3, the best way to get him to keep it on is novelty value. While some of the neck warmers etc are useful and appealing, they would only keep the flies out and not smaller particles.

The best I have found seem to be these >> https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072FR373Z/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=wwwcambridgem-21&camp=1634&creative=6738&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B072PVHSYQ&linkId=aed38607e6d4ebe843e89308a1a335d3&th=1 good reviews but they don't have a replaceable filter.

If I do get one, I'll post my thoughts on it!
    noby wrote: »
    I use face masks occasionally at work, but I think I might be hesitant to put something on my 3y/o that has straps around the head. Maybe I'm being over-cautious. Maybe a snood/neck warmer type thing might do the job?

I know what you mean but I'm sure it will be fine. He usually has a thick knitted neck warmer on anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

You say you want to reduce your childs risk however you take them on a busy cycle route everyday through dublin city centre? And they are 3 yrs old?

I'd say that they have a greater risk of being injured in an accident (god forbid) then any particles they might pick up.

davo2001 wrote: »
    You say you want to reduce your childs risk however you take them on a busy cycle route everyday through dublin city centre? And they are 3 yrs old?

I'd say that they have a greater risk of being injured in an accident (god forbid) then any particles they might pick up.

I'm not sure why you feel it is appropriate to question how I treat my son. However, you have, and I will tell you this - he is at no more risk than as if we were walking on the pavement while I hold his hand. We have made this journey for quite some time and never even had a close call. This is not by luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Putting aside who this is for (to avoid triggering)...

The pollution risk is lower on a bicycle than in a car or walking, for a passenger (for the rider it might be higher because you're breathing in more air).

So it's irrational to use a mask on a bicycle if you don't also wear one in the car and when walking.

Lumen wrote: »

The pollution risk is lower on a bicycle than in a car or walking, for a passenger (for the rider it might be higher because you're breathing in more air).

So it's irrational to use a mask on a bicycle if you don't also wear one in the car and when walking.

I have heard this argument before and perhaps it is true.

In my case, I have a 3 year old who tends to travel on the bike with his mouth open. In some instances, we are closer to exhaust fumes than being in a vehicle or walking. Maybe that's irrational, like so many of our decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Can you use a quieter route? Apparently pollution levels are much lower in the quieter side streets of a city than the main commuting routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

I wonder are there any kids cycle helmets with filtered and vented masks?
    Might make them feel like a super hero? 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Face him backwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You breathe the same amount whether your mouth is open or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

If you are so concerned for your child's welfare, why bring them on a daily commute?

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Can you use a quieter route? Apparently pollution levels are much lower in the quieter side streets of a city than the main commuting routes.

Yes, I believe proximity makes a huge difference. We do take the scenic route by the Phoenix Park for this very reason but much of the quays are unavoidable, unless I follow the Luas track to Hueston.
    minikin wrote: »
    I wonder are there any kids cycle helmets with filtered and vented masks?
    Might make them feel like a super hero? 😀

Super hero style would definitely work for him!
    Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Face him backwards!

Then I'd have nobody to enthusiastically slap my back as I try to get up the hill in Chapelizod! :D
    TheChizler wrote: »
    You breathe the same amount whether your mouth is open or not?

My concern is that he is breathing through his mouth, not the amount.

Sam Hain wrote: »
    If you are so concerned for your child's welfare, why bring them on a daily commute?

Are you suggesting I'm not concerned for my child's welfare? If so - why?

Moomat wrote: »
    My concern is that he is breathing through his mouth, not the amount.
    But typical vehicle pollutants are too small to be filtered out by nasal cilia so unless your route is very dusty it's not going to make much of a difference surely?

Unless you're worried about him literally catching flies :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

TheChizler wrote: »
    But typical vehicle pollutants are too small to be filtered out by nasal cilia so unless your route is very dusty it's not going to make much of a difference surely?

Unless you're worried about him literally catching flies :D

Yes, literally flies! :D but that won't be an issue to spring I suppose. It's all the general nastiness that is in the air that I would be concerned about, including dust.

Grassey wrote: »

Deadly! I hope they come in both sizes! :D

Yes, literally flies! :D but that won't be an issue to spring I suppose. It's all the general nastiness that is in the air that I would be concerned about, including dust.
    Right :D

I suppose my point is besides the point, any mask you get is going to cover the mouth and nose anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Are you suggesting I'm not concerned for my child's welfare? If so - why?

You bring the child on a daily commute that you believe could be detrimental to their health and have done so for quite a while. And rather than make alternative plans regarding the mode of transport or not bring the child at all, you are searching for a mask. I'm sure you are concerned about your child but why not look at other alternatives, surely a city bike commute is dangerous regardless of air pollutants.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Lumen wrote: »

Nonsense. Cyclists in cities are definitely the ones breathing in the most particles.

Air in a vehicle cabin is already filtered by a far superior filter than a cheap face mask, that stops almost nothing, and you are breathing normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

BloodBath wrote: »
    Nonsense. Cyclists in cities are definitely the ones breathing in the most particles.
    Correct. However, this is not the case for bicycle passengers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Sam Hain wrote: »
    You bring the child on a daily commute that you believe could be detrimental to their health and have done so for quite a while. And rather than make alternative plans regarding the mode of transport or not bring the child at all, you are searching for a mask. I'm sure you are concerned about your child but why not look at other alternatives, surely a city bike commute is dangerous regardless of air pollutants.

MOD VOICE: Lets just nip this in the bud right here and now before it drags the thread way off point. There is nothing dangerous or illegal in the OPs actions, certainly not in comparison to other forms of transport. We can go into a long line of why this is the case but I am telling you here and now, it won't be in this thread. If you wish to discuss, please PM me. If you really think it is an issue, start a separate thread. Do not respond in thread

Advertisement