Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New House - Laminate Floor

Options
  • 25-10-2017 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi there,

I'm trying to save some money on our new house and I've decided to put laminated floor myself.

It is a new build so I was told that I should look into getting rid of moisture that possibly is there.

My question is, what I supposed to do? I've been told that we will need to remove skirting boards and then apply 'something' that would help with moisture. After Googling for a day I gave up, can't find any thing online.

Could anyone share their knowledge on how to get rid of moisture?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

You normally fit a polythene sheet directly onto a concrete floor to prevent moisture getting to the laminate. The underlay goes over this.
    I think you may be able to get underlay with damp protection built in, so you would not need a separate polythene sheet.
    Go down to any supplier and they will show you the options

For a new house you may need to run a dehumidifier in the room for a couple of days to get rid of moisture in the ceiling, walls and floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭massey265

If there is skirting on the house must be dried out, how long is it since it's been finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 eloleon

Thank You Cerco! That helps a lot as I wasn't sure if we need polythene.

massey265 wrote: »
    If there is skirting on the house must be dried out, how long is it since it's been finished?

@massey265: Yep, there is skirting board which I'm planning to remove before laying floor. Has has been finished about 10 weeks ago and we've snagging about 4 weeks ago.

Any suggestions are more than welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭massey265

When house had timber work second fixing done house must off been fairly well dried out, is heating on regular?

• Advertisement

massey265 wrote: »
    When house had timber work second fixing done house must off been fairly well dried out, is heating on regular?

Well, I can't image that builders are turning on heat everyday, that would be too good. Heating was on during snagging but that could be it.

Would dehumidifier help in some way? For how long should I keep heating on? And yes, it is timber frame.

Thanks for answering, appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭tenbob1

Speak with the people you buy the flooring from, they should be able to do a moisture test for you. Underlays are NOT designed to keep out the moisture, a polythene sheet would not be recommended either. Stopgap F77 or similar product is what we would recommend in a case like this, unless the floor is very wet.

tenbob1 wrote: »
    Speak with the people you buy the flooring from, they should be able to do a moisture test for you. Underlays are NOT designed to keep out the moisture, a polythene sheet would not be recommended either. Stopgap F77 or similar product is what we would recommend in a case like this, unless the floor is very wet.

Thank you for advice, I will talk with them and see what they will recommend.

Advertisement