Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where did you spend the recession?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Again with the simplistic thought process, "if I didn't leave, I couldn't have done anything else".

"beyond idiotic".......gimme a break. If you cant understand anything beyond choice A or B, and don't have the wherewithal to imagine a better outcome then that's on you, not me.

To understand your logic one must think along the same lines as you. That involves very limited scope for movement as your posts are simply stupid.
    You say we should all have stuck together, can you explain of what benefit all those unemployed would have brought to those still employed? Would you have risked your job to go on a protest? Did you do anything at all to help the situation?
    You seem to think this was a water charge situation where we all decided let's stick it to the government.
    We had to be bailed out, our gdp fell drastically, new taxes imposed, companies stopped hiring and began downsizing.
    Do you realise what the rest of the country was like? Never mind Dublin.
    You can say all you like that I'm simplistic but I'll say over and over that your thinking is beyond flawed and downright egoistic and I repeat stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

In some ways I don't get what is so difficult to grasp here.

You are perpetuating the problem of why you had to leave in the first place, ensuring that it will keep going and going into the future. That's my problem.

I didn’t leave in the recession. I came back. I left during the boom ( once again people on this site assume political ideologies represent personal choice). It’s typical of weak stupid minds to personalise arguments.
    "What was I supposed to do, sit on the dole?"

as evidenced by this fake quote. I never said I left.

No, it isn't a binary choice. Binary choices are what creates these problems. You don't have to go, no more than you don't have to sit on your arse twiddling your thumbs.

Third example of a weak personalisation of an argument.

Forget it. When it rolls around again look forward to the exact same talking points, the exact same problems, the exact same desperation, the exact same everything. Then scratch your head and wonder, "but why?!"

For the people who left it was a binary choice. Stay or go. Stay on the dole. Or go. There was no revolution on offer. All that was on offer was the dole here, or no dole somewhere else. So they left. Which in fact helped the economy despite the simplistic theories of the op.

It doesn't help in the immediate term. But doing nothing also ensures that the cycle keeps going.

And I'm fairly confident in assuming that the reason most people left is because they didn't see a choice. And it was not creating choices that keeps everything status quo. Just look at Ireland now versus, say, 2007. Has ANYTHING changed at all?

That's why it would have taken collective effort to change anything, not an easy thing to do, but then nothing worthwhile is easy to do.

You're saying this country is the same now going into 2018 to what it was in 2007?
    Funny that.
    So you admit yourself that your own idea is flawed.
    I believe we did do something, we got down to it.
    Those that left had to start from the bottom, I did thats for sure but if I hadn't have left I would have been a burden to the state and my parents
    Are you honestly saying this would have been better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Well if Austria would send me a letter that they want Taxes from me even though I'm living in Ireland for a while I'll do an application for an Irish one the very next day.

It's funny because my son for example, who was born there but was little when we left, would have to go back to Austria to do his military service. It goes up to a point where they could arrest him at the airport when he crosses the border for visiting. Why should he do military service for a country that he didn't live in for the majority of his life?

Anyway I think around the time of the recession we were just getting ready to move in the house my parents bought, was a teenager back then. Recession didn't hit us too bad really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Kyle More

The problem is you have the same people in the same jobs doing the same thing or similar in another company. Making the same mistakes and expecting a different outcome.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Fliucharbith

You really can't answer the question. Funny.

:D

Yup. Great answer. I'm guessing 21 based on that response?

Well now. That gives you the perfect reason to take the high moral ground on this discussion.

Nope. I'm taking you as an idiot with no real understanding of economics, and ranting about selfish behavior when you have contributed extremely little yourself.

Major cop-out. You criticise others for what you're incapable of doing yourself.

Lol. Just... lol. You are hilarious. Oh! the simplicity. Why didn't any of us think of that? You're brilliant! :rolleyes:

Now. All joking aside. Perhaps contribute something constructive before harping on about other people failing the country.

I cant answer WHAT question? How in the name of god could I have simplified anything any further for you?

And me saying that I probably haven't contributed much is plain honesty, you might see that as a "cop out", I see it as recognising my own shortcomings.

"oh the simplicity!" you say, and yet you seem to have a very hard time even acknowledging it. And so on and so forth........

My mistake was coming across too negatively, and thereby people taking it as a personal attack. My mistake! All I would like is a better country for the lot of us.

But seeing as this is the internet, seeing as its totally grand to directly insult people and talk down to people personally the way you just did, I may as well get my dig in too. I don't know who you are, and you certainly don't know who I am. But I do know averages, very well. On that basis I can comfortably say that I am probably way above you in practically every regard, the amount of languages I speak, the size of my bank accounts, the assets I own, the jobs I perform, what I know, who I know and the personal impact I have on how "things are done" everywhere, and shock horror, I can still think of the greater good rather than my own skin......so no, I sincerely doubt I am an idiot in comparison to you, but I have been temporarily stupid enough to engage people on the internet.

You keep on fighting to keep things just as they are, you are very useful to certain people. Have a great evening.

I cant answer WHAT question? How in the name of god could I have simplified anything any further for you?

And me saying that I probably haven't contributed much is plain honesty, you might see that as a "cop out", I see it as recognising my own shortcomings.

"oh the simplicity!" you say, and yet you seem to have a very hard time even acknowledging it. And so on and so forth........

My mistake was coming across too negatively, and thereby people taking it as a personal attack. My mistake! All I would like is a better country for the lot of us.

But seeing as this is the internet, seeing as its totally grand to directly insult people and talk down to people personally the way you just did, I may as well get my dig in too. I don't know who you are, and you certainly don't know who I am. But I do know averages, very well. On that basis I can comfortably say that I am probably way above you in practically every regard, the amount of languages I speak, the size of my bank accounts, the assets I own, the jobs I perform, what I know, who I know and the personal impact I have on how "things are done" everywhere, and shock horror, I can still think of the greater good rather than my own skin......so no, I sincerely doubt I am an idiot in comparison to you, but I have been temporarily stupid enough to engage people on the internet.

You keep on fighting to keep things just as they are, you are very useful to certain people. Have a great evening.

I think you have shown to everyone how pathetic you come across.
    But you go ahead with your simplistic views on us all your majesty.

No need to simplify anything. Answer the question that you quoted. Just read back a wee bit.

err... you're completely missing the irony though.

Your mistake was that 1) you insulted those who left during the recession, and 2) you haven't really thought about what a recession actually is...
    But seeing as this is the internet, seeing as its totally grand to directly insult people and talk down to people personally the way you just did, I may as well get my dig in too.

You started it. All i'm doing is finishing it. Come back when you're ready to discuss the subject matter in a logical and intelligent manner. Perhaps do some reading on the economics of countries, and the problems facing those who lose jobs in the face of high unemployment.
    I don't know who you are, and you certainly don't know who I am. But I do know averages, very well. On that basis I can comfortably say that I am probably way above you in practically every regard, the amount of languages I speak, the size of my bank accounts, the assets I own, the jobs I perform, what I know, who I know and the personal impact I have on how "things are done" everywhere, and shock horror, I can still think of the greater good rather than my own skin......so no, I sincerely doubt I am an idiot in comparison to you, but I have been temporarily stupid enough to engage people on the internet.

The fact that you need to write all that suggests otherwise.

And the greater good? Oh lord.

I will continue focusing on providing for myself and my family. I'm taxed quite heavily for doing so (compared to other countries), and in return the country receives taxes, which go towards improving the overal status of the country.

If you have a problem with the way the country is consider entering politics. Posting to after hours with badly thought out ideas will get you slammed. Hell, it's after hours, you'll get slammed anyway.

His list of "achievements" made me laugh I have to admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

Well, well, well, it traspires, we've been here before.

This reminded of another money-grabbing attempt at handouts and entitlement demands from people who'd acted wisely and worked hard by someone who'd whinged and begrudged and wanted to blame everyone else, so I did a little research, and guess who that was.....?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p

What a weasel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Your link didn't work, but was a big enough tip off - some comedy gold here! :pac:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99884016

Advertisement