Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To the two lads cycling out the Dublin Rd, in the am, 7.30ish

• 25-10-2017 1:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭

Just in case you are on here, would you ever go & buy yourselves some reflective gear & lights for both the front & rear of your bikes,

I pass you five days a week somewhere between Frank Hogans & the Groody roundabout, heading towards UL, one of you was actually wearing camoflage pants this morning ffs, your going to get yourselves killed because drivers can't see you until they are right up on top of you

One of you got a good blast of a car horn within the last week from another motorist, if you recognise yourselves, buy what you need to be seen in the dark please.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Surely they are using the safer smarter super savings travel cycle infrastructure from parkway to groody ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I'm beginning to think that they are are some kind of covert op

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

If i had too suffer roadworks for a year for the safer smarter super savings travel cycle infrastructure and there is someone not using the safer smarter super savings travel cycle infrastructure ill be very annoyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I'm beginning to think that they are are some kind of covert op

No,no just a pair of idiots with no respect for themselves or other road users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Paddico

dashoonage wrote: »
    Surely they are using the safer smarter super savings travel cycle infrastructure from parkway to groody ?
    Still should have proper lights etc. No excuses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Report them to the guards, I report drivers who drive too close all the time.

Far more effective than beeping or posting on boards

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Chiparus wrote: »

Do the Guards actually do anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

I spot these fellas too.. disaster waiting to happen. No one obeys the speed limit along that road!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

I came across two guys cycling wrong way down O'Connell Street the other night. both as black as anything, not a light, reflector or even a light coloured clothes between them. I got a fair fright - I don't think it bothered the two guys in the slightest.

Do the Guards actually do anything?

yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Chiparus wrote:
    yes

So you gave a statement and they prosecuted?

I am still waiting to hear from them 3 weeks after witnessing a bad accident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

yes

lol no they don’t. They do fcuk all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Why not tell them?

Ring up traffic watch, you would be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Snitches get stitches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,134 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Just in case you are on here, would you ever go & buy yourselves some reflective gear & lights for both the front & rear of your bikes,

This happening all too often. No one likes things imposed on them but I can see compulsory hi viz vests if some cyclists don't cop on to themselves.

Passed a cyclist in Dublin city on a rainy day last week. His back light was brilliant. Nearly blinded me. If the weather wasn't so bad I'd have complemented him on it.

Cyclists I give you lots of space on the road and if you let me know what you want to do next I'll stop and give way but please give me a chance to see you in the dark.

EPAndlee wrote: »
    Snitches get stitches

Unlit cyclists get stitches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,067 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Snitches get stitches
    Unlit cyclists can get killed FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Snitches get stitches

unlit cyclists get wreaths

Passed them again this morning. One lad actually does wear a sleeveless Hi-Viz but its covered over by a giant black backpack so the reflective strip cannot be seen. The other lad, well he wears a helmet alright but wears very dark clothing.

I felt like stopping him this morning at the Parkway and giving him one of my work Hi-Viz then I saw the other lad with his covered and thought F*uck it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Tefral wrote: »
    No one obeys the speed limit along that road!

And the problem is a couple of cyclists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭ratracer

Tefral wrote: »
    I spot these fellas too.. disaster waiting to happen. No one obeys the speed limit along that road!

This!! But it's all the cyclists fault??

RustyNut wrote: »
    And the problem is a couple of cyclists?

If they get hit by a car travelling the speed limit along there they will also die.

Yes its up to the cyclist to mitigate their risk on the road, they are vulnerable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

No excuse for cyclists not having lights.

No excuse for cyclists motorists exceeding the speed limit.

Both should cop on.

Both are independent of each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

amcalester wrote: »
    No excuse for cyclists exceeding the speed limit.

I'd hope they'd have an excuse if a speed gun gets em, damn cyclists always breaking speed limits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

I don't see any good reason why hi-viz vests are not made compulsory to be honest. I hate wearing one, but I would feel like less of an outcast cycling into college if everyone else was wearing them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭carbonceiling

You can order Hi-Vis vests, rucksack covers, armbands, sam browne belts etc for free on the RSA website. There really is no excuse for cycling around in the dark without these.

http://rsa.ie/en/RSA/Road-Safety/Orders-online/Orders-online/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I don't see any good reason why hi-viz vests are not made compulsory to be honest. I hate wearing one,

Beats wearing a shroud any day, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

A few years ago, I regularly came across a cyclist on winter's mornings at 7.30am on the M20. Still pitch dark.

It was the stretch of motorway between Raheen (Exit 3) and Dooradoyle (Exit 2).

While the cyclist had a high-viz jacket,

1) It is highly dangerous and illegal to cycle on a dark motorway. Lunacy in fact.

2) The traffic was moving at 120 kmph. The cars would encounter him in the dark in a split second. Even if he's in the hard shoulder, it's startling.

3) At the exits, he would be a 'sitting duck' if travelling straight ahead.

Anyway, I contacted the RSA to mention the dangers. Imagine the guilt of a motorist if they killed a cyclist on the motorway!! Even if it wasn't the driver's fault.

The following week, there was no sign of him. I assume the Garda Traffic Corps educated him about the rules of the road.

You might say 'snitches get stitches', but it's better than a wreath or a headstone on the M20.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

Comhra wrote:
    Beats wearing a shroud any day, though.

Couldn't agree more, they're not exactly fashionable but that's why I wear one.

Advertisement