Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To the two lads cycling out the Dublin Rd, in the am, 7.30ish

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

appledrop wrote: »
    On Friday the fog around where I work was the worst I have ever seen. I mean you couldn't see 3ft in front of you. Can the cyclists out there please explain to me why a group of cyclists decided this would be a great day to go out for a cycle. Not need to be out but just for the fun of it. Absolutelyy mornic+ of course the motorist would be blamed if they hit them even though they had no lights or reflectors on.

Lunatics

Researchers in New Zealand, compared the amount of time cyclists spent off work as a result of crashes involving a motor vehicle. They found that riders who never wore fluorescent cycling kit spent eight times as much time away from work as riders who always wore such clothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Muppets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭dubrov

phog wrote:
    Researchers in New Zealand, compared the amount of time cyclists spent off work as a result of crashes involving a motor vehicle. They found that riders who never wore fluorescent cycling kit spent eight times as much time away from work as riders who always wore such clothing.

Link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

phog wrote: »

Interesting another study from Canada showed increased collisions with fluorescent clothing.

http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/18/Suppl_1/A36.4

• Advertisement

appledrop wrote: »
    On Friday the fog around where I work was the worst I have ever seen. I mean you couldn't see 3ft in front of you. Can the cyclists out there please explain to me why a group of cyclists decided this would be a great day to go out for a cycle. Not need to be out but just for the fun of it. Absolutelyy mornic+ of course the motorist would be blamed if they hit them even though they had no lights or reflectors on.

If you were driving so fast for the conditions so that you could not stop in time, yes.

dubrov wrote: »
    Link?

Here
    The mean number of days absent from work attributable to bicycle crashes was 0.39 per cyclist/year. After adjustment for potential confounders and exposure (kilometers cycled per year), the rate of days off work from bicycle crash injury was substantially lower among riders who reported always wearing fluorescent colors (multivariate incidence rate ratio 0.23, 95% CI 0.09 to 0.59).

The problem with this study is that it does not tell us that fluorescence protects against being hit by another vehicle .

It maybe that the people who wear fluorescence cycle slower, and when they fall off they are less injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Your kind of thinking is one of the main reasons why we have so few female cyclists, particularly teenage girls. We have more secondary school girls driving themselves to school than cycling, because we have positioned cycling as a hazardous activity, despite all the data to the contrary.
    This dangerisation puts many people off cycling, particularly females, particularly younger females. This reduced number of cyclists actually makes cycling more dangerous for the remainder by eliminating the 'safety in numbers' effect.

You seem to know a lot about women but I presume, like most cycling advocates, you're not one yourself. I say that there are a multitude of reasons why young women choose not to cycle and most of them have to do with harassment on the bike, male domination of cycling clubs/events and appearance. There is a reason why Women on Wheels, a female cycling groups run by Limerick Sports Partnership, is oversubscribed and massively popular in Limerick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,219 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Another problem with this study is that it selects cyclists who are willing/able to take part in a 40km-160km charity event, which will exclude the majority of commuting cyclists.
    panda100 wrote: »
    You seem to know a lot about women but I presume, like most cycling advocates, you're not one yourself. I say that there are a multitude of reasons why young women choose not to cycle and most of them have to do with harassment on the bike, male domination of cycling clubs/events and appearance. There is a reason why Women on Wheels, a female cycling groups run by Limerick Sports Partnership, is oversubscribed and massively popular in Limerick!

No, I'm not a woman myself, and I'm not sure that I claim to 'know a lot about women' at all. The data on low numbers of female cyclists is absolutely clear, especially at secondary school level. You're right to say that there are a multitude of reasons, and 'appearance issues' features up top of that multitude.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/campaigns-guide/women-cycling

And actually, I'd disagree about the lack of female cycling advocates. The two cycling advocacy groups that I know well would have strong female numbers (maybe 40% female, or maybe 30% on a bad day) and strong female voices.

• Advertisement
Advertisement