Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning Permission-Internal Alteration

• 25-10-2017 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

I currently operate my business out of a building which is a mixture of office space/canteen/reception/toilets (2500sq feet) and storage space (1500 sq feet).

If I was to convert the remaining 1500 sq feet to office space by putting up some stud partition walls, would I need planning permisison.

There would be no change to the exterior of the building, it would all be internal.

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Planning permission - maybe ...

Fire Safety Certificate - Definitely
    Disability Access Certificate - Definitely.

When you look into it you will see that the planning permission is the cheapest part!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It can depend on how big the space you are creating.
    There are some exemptions, but considering there’s a canteen, they may not apply to you.

I think all 3 of the above that MT mentioned will apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,374 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Had this very scenario play out recently.

The building was originally granted permission in the 90's as for 'light industrial' use which included an office section over two levels to part of the building. Our client wanted to convert the remaining double height space into office use, we advised that planning, FSC & DAC would be required, their facilities manager disagreed & challenged this so we consulted the planning department for guidance (I wont name the LA) & they advised that as the buildings granted use was light industrial a full conversion to office use was a material alteration & would require planning permission to gauge any additonal demands/impact with respect to traffic movements, parking & waste disposal etc.

We ultimately applied for planning permission, which was granted (with conditions) & also applied for a FSC (still awaiting decision) & DAC (granted with no conditions)
    There are exemptions for FSC's for industrial buildings but given the floor area & design involved we couldnt avail of these & were required to obtain new ones for the building.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Advertisement