Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newborn feeling habits

Options
  • 25-10-2017 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

First post, hello everyone!

First time Dad, baby is over 2 weeks old. Have to say the whole experience so far has been an eye opener!

Just wondering how other parents have found their feeding of their newborns. Every midwife and even the public health nurse have different guidelines on what we should be doing!

At the 2 week GP checkup this week our family doctor said he was happy with baby's weight and feeding habits. The next day the public health nurse said that baby was overweight and we were feeding too much!

Anyway we are bottle feeding and baby varies from between 2 to 3 hours per feed. Its manageable. How do you guys handle the night feeds as parents?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Congratulations!

Obviously, it depends on your baby but for my two, when they were that size, we gave them three ounce bottles every 3.5 to four hours. I tried to get them into a routine fairly quickly of a bottle at 7am, 11am, 3pm and then 7pm. Obviously, if they didn't last the 4 hours, I gave them the bottle. At night time, I noted what time they fed at & then if they woke a bit later the next night, I'd hold them off till that time the following night to slowly start getting the night bottles down. It seemed to work for us...our little girl slept through the night by 10 weeks & our little boy at 12 weeks. The night feeds are tough going imo!

Ultimately, you'll get every Tom, Dick & Harry's opinion so go with your gut, it's your baby :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Dadzilla

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Congratulations!

Obviously, it depends on your baby but for my two, when they were that size, we gave them three ounce bottles every 3.5 to four hours. I tried to get them into a routine fairly quickly of a bottle at 7am, 11am, 3pm and then 7pm. Obviously, if they didn't last the 4 hours, I gave them the bottle. At night time, I noted what time they fed at & then if they woke a bit later the next night, I'd hold them off till that time the following night to slowly start getting the night bottles down. It seemed to work for us...our little girl slept through the night by 10 weeks & our little boy at 12 weeks. The night feeds are tough going imo!

Ultimately, you'll get every Tom, Dick & Harry's opinion so go with your gut, it's your baby :)

Thanks for posting. Yes it does seem to differ from baby to baby. Ultimately they are the boss! :)

We really don't give enough paternity leave in Ireland. I feel sorry for couples where a C-Section was necessary and the partner has to go back to work

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Congratulations!!

We were on a 3.5-4 hour schedule during the day at that stage. At night, if she slept a bit longer I left her, our PHN said that was fine as she'd make up for it during the day.
    If she had a bottle at 9, I'd stay up til 1 to give her the late bottle. She'd have another then around 4 and then again around 7 or 8. In my head it meant there was only 1 night feed and it worked well for me. Once her bottle changed to closer to 10 I put her to bed on that and at 10 weeks she was going from 10 until 6.
    Do whatever works for ye, my mother thought I was off my head staying up til 1am but 4am was the only up during the night feed for me cos my husband gave her the early bottle before he went to work.

Advertisement