Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for Irish Citizen Returning from UK

• 25-10-2017 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I’m an Irish citizen and I was working in the UK for 8 years until the end of last year. In the meantime I did some traveling and after approximately two months looking for a job I have hopefully secured employment. All my saving and assets are still in UK accounts for various reasons, the main one being the weakness of Sterling. I have the following:

• 1 x Cash Individual Savings Account (ISA)
    • 1 x Stocks and Shares ISA
    • 1 x Savings Account
    • 2 x Current Account
    • 1 x Private pension

Can anyone please explain going forward what do I need to do to ensure compliance with Ireland’s tax and revenue regulations? Is to possible for me to leave the ISAs in place and manage them from aboard?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I’m an Irish citizen and I was working in the UK for 8 years until the end of last year. In the meantime I did some traveling and after approximately two months looking for a job I have hopefully secured employment. All my saving and assets are still in UK accounts for various reasons, the main one being the weakness of Sterling. I have the following:

• 1 x Cash Individual Savings Account (ISA)
    • 1 x Stocks and Shares ISA
    • 1 x Savings Account
    • 2 x Current Account
    • 1 x Private pension

Can anyone please explain going forward what do I need to do to ensure compliance with Ireland’s tax and revenue regulations? Is to possible for me to leave the ISAs in place and manage them from aboard?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Consult a reputable financial and/or tax advisor. Many/Most types of foreign pension and investments have to be declared to Revenue here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,584 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

No need for any accountant.

Yes, you may need to declare offshore assets in your Irish tax return, but this should be easy, as your assets aren't complex.

Advertisement