Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time Buyer query - Unmarried , Partner had apartment

Options
  • 25-10-2017 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Sorry if a similar query was asked before but I cannot find it.
    In a nutshell , My partner is Hungarian and bought an apartment years ago and lost a fortune on it. Finally getting rid of it this week.

I hope to buy a home next year and am wondering if I can apply as a FTB ? as in a 10% deposit
    She is not currently working (State Maternity leave) as is at home minding our first child who was born 3 months ago.
    Can I apply as a First time buyer without the need for her to be involved seeing as I will be providing all the deposit ?
    Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

In short: No, you can't because you are co-habitating and have a child. They would only let you apply as a single applicant when you cut all ties, would live alone and have regular maintenance payments on your account.
    If she bought that property in Ireland, you have to apply for a joint mortgage and you won't be treated as a FTB.

In your situation with her on leave and a child I can highly recommend to talk to a broker since your application might not be as straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

LirW wrote: »
    In short: No, you can't because you are co-habitating and have a child. They would only let you apply as a single applicant when you cut all ties, would live alone and have regular maintenance payments on your account.
    If she bought that property in Ireland, you have to apply for a joint mortgage and you won't be treated as a FTB.

In your situation with her on leave and a child I can highly recommend to talk to a broker since your application might not be as straightforward.

This is incorrect. As you are not married you can absolutely apply for a mortgage as a single applicant and get the FTB grant. I have been around to all the banks in the last few weeks and it's not been an issue with any of them that I am cohabitation and applying as a single applicant.
    Obviously if you are applying as a single applicant they can only take your income into consideration (x3.5 times your salary)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

It's not that they're cohabitating, they have a child and cohabitate and at least we were treated from the banks the same way as married couple in the beginning of the year. He has dependants that live with him and in this case he can't apply on his own. At least that was our experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,962 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Did you buy the house jointly OP?

If not I believe you would qualify on your own for FTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

She bought the apartment in Hungary not in Ireland. I'm more interested in the 10% Deposit than the HTB grant as there are few new builds around.
    I suppose the best thing for me to do is to speak to my Bank or Broker.
    Thanks for your help..please feel free to add more comments if you know more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Did you buy the house jointly OP?

If not I believe you would qualify on your own for FTB.
    No she bought the apartment about 10 years ago ...long before I was around.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

If she bought it outside of Ireland still counts as first time buyer, or used to. A family member had property abroad and the solicitor said it didnt count at the time and were treated as ftb

Advertisement