Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone work in a dry cleaners? How likely is this?

Options
  • 25-10-2017 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Left two dresses into a dry cleaners at 1.30pm today, Wednesday. Was asked if I wanted them back Friday or Tuesday (after bank holiday). I said Tuesday. Less than 3 hours after leaving them in, I rang to ask could I cancel the cleaning and take the dresses back. The guy who answered said no, they have started cleaning them.
    How likely is that to be?
    I have a feeling they just want to clean them and me pay them the (very expensive) bill!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭dobman88

grazer wrote: »
    Left two dresses into a dry cleaners at 1.30pm today, Wednesday. Was asked if I wanted them back Friday or Tuesday (after bank holiday). I said Tuesday. Less than 3 hours after leaving them in, I rang to ask could I cancel the cleaning and take the dresses back. The guy who answered said no, they have started cleaning them.
    How likely is that to be?
    I have a feeling they just want to clean them and me pay them the (very expensive) bill!

Would say they had been started by that time. When we take stuff in, first thing we do is treat them to let it soak in before popping in the machine so if you rang 3 hours later we wouldn't be able to give them back to you as they would have chemicals active on them. When you pop them in the machine they're cleaned with perchloroethylene, not water, so they need to be finished in the cleaners.

Tbh after 3 hours I would fully expect them to already be in the machine being put through the system. So I don't think they're trying to catch you out on anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭grazer

dobman88 wrote: »
    Would say they had been started by that time. When we take stuff in, first thing we do is treat them to let it soak in before popping in the machine so if you rang 3 hours later we wouldn't be able to give them back to you as they would have chemicals active on them. When you pop them in the machine they're cleaned with perchloroethylene, not water, so they need to be finished in the cleaners.

Tbh after 3 hours I would fully expect them to already be in the machine being put through the system. So I don't think they're trying to catch you out on anything.

Thanks. I must just be naturally very suspicious!

Genuine question: how long does the cleaning process take (in general)? I thought, seeing as Tuesday is written on the collection docket because I said I was in no rush, it would be a day or so before they started the cleaning.

Thanks. I must just be naturally very suspicious!

Genuine question: how long does the cleaning process take (in general)? I thought, seeing as Tuesday is written on the collection docket because I said I was in no rush, it would be a day or so before they started the cleaning.

The whole process from the time you drop it in to the time it's ready for collection would be 3-4 hours.

Drop it in, treat it, put a load on (usually 15kg or about 12 suits to give you an idea) load takes 90mins approx, press it, hang it, touch it up, bag it.

That's it from front to back. If there's a stain on it and it needs to be done a second time it may not be ready until tomorrow. When we get dresses or suits in we always give ourselves a full day with it in case there are any stains on. Some people want same day service and that's fine but we warn them stains may not come out with one clean.

If we do have to clean something 2/3 times you're only charged once. If I got something in today and put Tuesday on the docket I would still clean it asap in case it needs another run

And you're dead right to be suspicious. It's not cheap to get dry cleaning done.

And you're dead right to be suspicious. It's not cheap to get dry cleaning done.

In this particular place it's eye-wateringly expensive. Hence my change of heart and efforts to cancel!

• Advertisement

In this particular place it's eye-wateringly expensive. Hence my change of heart and efforts to cancel!

Only thing I can say is at least you know for next time now and shop around. We're the cheapest in our town and have had people walk out with stuff to shop around only to come back later.

To give you an idea.

Normal dress, €14.
    Silk dress, €18.
    Debs/ball gown €25.
    Bridesmaid dresses €25-€40 depending on style and work involved.
    Wedding dresses €120+

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

A pressing issue.

Only thing I can say is at least you know for next time now and shop around. We're the cheapest in our town and have had people walk out with stuff to shop around only to come back later.

To give you an idea.

Normal dress, €14.
    Silk dress, €18.
    Debs/ball gown €25.
    Bridesmaid dresses €25-€40 depending on style and work involved.
    Wedding dresses €120+

Wish I was in that town.
    My docket says
    €48.90 - full length sleeveless evening dress (polyester-y material, lined with trim on neckline)
    €26.90 - normal dress
    :eek:

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    A pressing issue.
    Dirty money.

Wish I was in that town.
    My docket says
    €48.90 - full length sleeveless evening dress (polyester-y material, lined with trim on neckline)
    €26.90 - normal dress
    :eek:

Jaysus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Seems like you are being taken to the cleaners!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Caveat tegendis corporibus.

Wearer Beware.

Advertisement