Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you love football a little less?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

But Jose has won things where he went in many leagues in many different cultures.
    Defending is also an important part of football as well as attacking.
    Remember his win inter got against Barcelona in 2010?
    Who won the Champions league that year?
    They beat a much fancied Bayern side after that.

You cannot play eleven 'Wes Hoolahan's' :D

The objective of playing football is to score more goals than the other team. The away goal rule and penalty shootouts are relatively new to the game. It’s pathetic to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The objective of playing football is to score more goals than the other team. The away goal rule and penalty shootouts are relatively new to the game. It’s pathetic to watch

Yeah but long before penalty shootouts and the away goal rule a 1-0 win would still be a one nil win.
    A 1-0 win is only one goal more then a teams opponents but still fits your criteria of scoring more goals then the other team.
    But the other objective of football is not not to concede a goal
    The Italians view 1-0 as the perfect scoreline.
    The Irish team would never have qualified for any tournaments without the 1-0 win.

The way football rules are structured it is always plausible to play for a 1-0 win.
    It is the hierachy who have to change the rules if enough of people don't like it.

Personally I enjoy a match where there is a contrast of styles a tippy tappy team v a direct and defensively organised team.
    More often then not the direct and defensive team are more limited technically. But it is fun to see which style wins it is never one particular style that wins.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Unearthly wrote: »
    I love football a lot more today

I think there never has been more variation in tactics between teams
    Also coaches around the world are more knowledgeable.
    It makes international football more fun especially I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    I'm not hung up, I just find it funny to see Irish people calling each other mancs and scousers and getting worked up about English football teams and at the same time many would look down their nose at LOI and GAA - Which is bizarre in regards to the later especially given that it's uniquely Irish and encompasses what sport is about .... I can certainly understand the attraction of England as it's the nearest pro league where all out pros go --- But lad's having a minutes silence for the Munich disaster and getting tattoos of JFT96 when half of them were not even born for either is just mind blowing stuff and I don't think you'd see it in too many other countries ...

It's only one reason really - As I said, sport for me is about getting out and watching and supporting local where you can -

The prima-donna nature of the modern player, lack of physicality and general greed is a bigger reason why I watch, or get emotionally involved, less.

I don't think many look down at GAA in fact I think it's the opposite most football fans love a bit of gaa I know I do. I find it's the opposite gaa fans won't shut the **** about football and the money in it or how soft they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Yeah but long before penalty shootouts and the away goal rule a 1-0 win would still be a one nil win.
    A 1-0 win is only one goal more then a teams opponents but still fits your criteria of scoring more goals then the other team.
    But the other objective of football is not not to concede a goal
    The Italians view 1-0 as the perfect scoreline.
    The Irish team would never have qualified for any tournaments without the 1-0 win.

The way football rules are structured it is always plausible to play for a 1-0 win.
    It is the hierachy who have to change the rules if enough of people don't like it.

Personally I enjoy a match where there is a contrast of styles a tippy tappy team v a direct and defensively organised team.
    More often then not the direct and defensive team are more limited technically. But it is fun to see which style wins it is never one particular style that wins.

I disagree that not conceding is an objective of the game. If you win 7-6 you don’t lose anything for conceding 6 goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

The away goal rule is actually meant to encourage teams to attack when playing away from home.

I disagree that not conceding is an objective of the game. If you win 7-6 you don’t lose anything for conceding 6 goals.

Yeah but if you concede 6 goals the likelihood is it is much harder to score 7!

It is like any sport in boxing you have you hit and try not get hit.

The main objective is to win and trying not to concede a goal is a step towards this objective.

The good teams find a balance between defence and attack and can vary thier play depending on the circumstances.

To expect teams to go all-out attack is impractical, idealistic and Utopian.
    How many games would a team win playing like that unless thier players are fundamentally far superior then their opponents it won't work 9 times out of 10.

The rules of soccer are devised in such a way that is much easier to try for a 1-0 or - 0-0 then a 7-6 !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Unless you only score 5 goals. How many teams concede 6 and still win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

This whole new fashionable utopian tactic of high possession with high scoring and no defending is certainly an amusing trend. Keep ball constantly on the ground and dont coach defending or tackling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Interesting thread, as my love has definitely faded over the past few years. I used to think it was Fergie leaving Utd that caused it but I'm not so sure.

It rankles with me when pundits are debating a penalty shout and they claim that any contact at all justifies falling to the floor and a penalty awarded. I'm watching it thinking 'do these boys take me for a fool'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement