Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you play golf for?

Options
  • 25-10-2017 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

What gives you the buzz to get out? Has it become different with age or circumstances?

Getting the handicap down is nice but would you rather win a big club day like the captains over three to four normal wins?

What do you play golf for? 53 votes

Pure Enjoyment
    0% 0 votes
    Lower Handicap
    66% 35 votes
    Winning (Winning Silverware)
    33% 18 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

1 and 2. 3 is a bonus.

I say a lot of the older guys i play with is "4. to get out of the house."

myself and a few others chat golf, shots, clubs, yardage during our round and we've been told some of the older lads don't like it and don't want to hear golf chat. :-s

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

1 and 2. 3 is a bonus.

I say a lot of the older guys i play with is "4. to get out of the house."

myself and a few others chat golf, shots, clubs, yardage during our round and we've been told some of the older lads don't like it and don't want to hear golf chat. :-s

what he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

none of above .

pure escapism.

but after that , all of above.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,609 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Like Fix. Mostly for the sheer fun of spending hours playing a really good game and thinking about nothing else for that time.

After that all three boxes but winning probably less important than the other two.

I get great buzz out of matchplay comps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Pure enjoyment first and foremost, if my handicap started going upwards, I would still play as often as I can. Winning is just a little bonus, it's not really relevant, bar the handicap decreases that come with wins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

To become the best golfer I can be. Love summer evening golf pottering around the course on my own unwinding.

Love competing and playing in competitions. Love the build up to interclub comps and the initial nerves before the first hole. Love everything about golf TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I voted winning silverware even though I've never won anything but I think it's more about being competitive. Having played sport all my life and then giving up playing gaa and soccer it gives me that outlet. Part of it is about getting better and reducing hcap but to do that you need to compete.

I think that is the reason why golf is more appeal as a hobby to me than something like cycling for example

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

The enjoyment of hitting great shots consistently, be they drives, irons, chips or putts.

Getting better and doing more of the above per round - by doing this you see the tangible results of a reducing handicap.

Thinking out a shot and then executing it well.

Competition.

I think there’s also a primeval “ hunter gatherer” aspect that is satisfied in traversing the countryside and hitting something hard but with skill.

And then there is also just being out in nature, in a beautiful environment, observing all the flora and fauna and taking it all in.

All of these and more just make the most interesting, exciting and humanly satisfying game there is!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Chasing the feeling of playing well , eg hitting good shots. Its a nice endorphin rush to hit good shots.

Being able to get away from work/everyday stress for four hours. I don't think about anything generally but the golf when on the course.

Seeing good,scenic courses. I love playing good looking courses.

Put all that together, play well stress free on a good course, and you have the reason I play golf.

Handicap and winning is at the bottom of the list for me.

Great question by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Up until 2 years ago it was entirely about the handicap. Getting and staying low was all that mattered.

2 kids later and the rare times I get out are purely for the enjoyment of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭3putt

Just love getting out and playing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

For the frustration of it. Nothing like hitting a beautiful three wood off the deck and see it heading in exactly the direction you intended and the distance you'd hoped for. Only for you to hit it fat on the next hole and see it trundle fifty yards up the fairway. Priceless. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

for me, its the perfect mix of skill and mindset ..... every shot is differentand every word and gesture has an affect on your game. I love nothing more than playing for a euro or playing match play golf, its the challenge that gets the juices flowing. Out on the golf course, nothing else matters but the next shot... get it there, I just love it :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

the challenge
    the environment
    the exercise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

I like to compete. I would never play 18 holes unless i was in some form of competition. Singles, doubles, team matchplay, stableford or stroke comp, classics, scrambes etc. I love the competition of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,616 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

1 and 3

I love it but hate losing in any sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

To me its everything... Its like a drug I can't really explain it.. I have played most sports as a kid (but never golf) hated pitch & putt started playing golf around 26 and just got addicted.. "The Bug" as we all know.. I could talk about golf all day and never get bored!!

The sheer excitement of knowing you're playing in the morning..

The excitement of playing a new course or a top course..

The great shorts you pull off as the saying goes "that will get you out tomorrow" I still remember shots I pulled off from years ago..

The buzz you get after a great round..

The unspoilt land and contours and been out in the fresh air..

The forever chasing your handicap..

The strangers you meet and some become great mates with..

The weirdos you meet off the internet :D

The buzz of new equipment..

The winning of competitions..

The Club atmosphere..

The unexplained fact you can shoot the lights out on your home course and go out the very next day and have your worst score ever...

Your always chasing it and it cant be explained what it is we are chasing! some might say its a little white ball but others know its just different... Its special..

Advertisement