Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storage heater question

Options
  • 25-10-2017 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

I hope this is the correct place for my question; here we go:

I just moved into a new apartment that has Heatstore HSXC18N placed in the living room. It is wired to wall with 2 fuse with lights on it (not connected via plug). One of the fuse lights turn on only between 00:00 - 09:00 (night rate) and other blinks whenever I turn on the fuse. So one of them is instant heater (when I turn on the switch at right side it throws out hot air) and I also have room thermostat (if I switch temperature on thermostat too low then fuse light turns off and it stops blowing instant hot air)

My question is, I wanted to give a try to night storage heater option, so I turned on the fuse on wall and it blinked red after 00:00 (wheels were set to 4 for input and 1 for output) and I left it like that during all night.

Today I came home and I believe it didn't blow any hot air to room during day time, I changed it to evening boost but nothing. Honestly I am not sure if it even save some heat during night time (didn't check electric meter)

Is there some setting I need to turn on to start the process? Am I missing something? Why it doesn't store or blow hot air to room when I want to use it night storage?

I am really new with this thing so I might be missing some points.

edit: I have user manual but it didn't ring any bell. Instant hot air blowing works fine when I turn on the fuse on the wall and the red button on the right side.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Leave the instant heat witched off and the night storage switched on. The thermal bricks inside the heater will be heated up overnight. To release the stored heat during the day turn the output dial up, this opens a damper and allows air circulation through the hot bricks and out into the room. As there is no fan the hot air will not be blown out, rather there will be a gentle release of hot air into the room by natural convection.

If the heater has overheated in the past (often happens when people attempt to dry clothes on them) the overheat switch may be tripped which can prevent them heating up at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭miketheDIYman

Excellent response Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭bonjurkes

Pete67 wrote: »
    Leave the instant heat witched off and the night storage switched on. The thermal bricks inside the heater will be heated up overnight. To release the stored heat during the day turn the output dial up, this opens a damper and allows air circulation through the hot bricks and out into the room. As there is no fan the hot air will not be blown out, rather there will be a gentle release of hot air into the room by natural convection.

If the heater has overheated in the past (often happens when people attempt to dry clothes on them) the overheat switch may be tripped which can prevent them heating up at night.

I just tried turning on another heat storage only heater at my home and whenever I turn it on the meter's red light start blinking rapidly. But when I check the same with the one in my living room, nothing changes. So I think it actually turns on (because of clock) but doesn't store any heat over night. It can be overheat switch (or similar problem). Is it something that I can easily fix or I need to take the heater apart?

Edit: I think I found a video about how to do it by removing front cover then pressing reset button. I will give that a try tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

If you can find the overheat switch it should have a reset button - it it clicks when you press it then it has tripped from a previous overheat situation. The reset switch usually is red or brown and usually is located at or neat the input control knob, although it may be elsewhere. If you can't find it easily, or resetting it does not fix the problem then you will need to call in an electrician to find out what the problem is.

If you are renting, get the landlord to sort it out.

Advertisement