Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir F2000 Modem

Options
  • 25-10-2017 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

I got a new F2000 modem on the 25th of September due to the previous modem I had being faulty and now the new one after only a month in operation is showing the same symptoms of the previous faulty one. 
    Are these modems that bad and why are Eir still distributing them? 
    I am getting very fed up of this nonsense.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I got a new F2000 modem on the 25th of September due to the previous modem I had being faulty and now the new one after only a month in operation is showing the same symptoms of the previous faulty one. 
    A bloke I work with said he had 4 over 2 months that died on him.  Said Eir rep talked about a 'bad batch' going around and they don't in-house test before they are shipped so they don't know until you tell em.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

I've had close to 10 at this stage. Useless pieces of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

Thanks for the replies, I can't say I'm glad to see it's not only me having the problem.
    I look forward to a reply from the Eir reps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭eir: Kyle

Thanks for the replies, I can't say I'm glad to see it's not only me having the problem.
    I look forward to a reply from the Eir reps.
    Hi there contrary_devil

Thank you for getting in touch.

If you think you might have a faulty device, I would suggest calling eir'sTechnical Support on 1890 260 260 and a replacement modem will be arranged for you. Unfortunately from here, we won't be able to assist with any faulty device queries so the best is to contact them directly, explain what your issues are and they will assist accordingly.

-Kyle

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MarsCur

I hope that you will have better luck dealing with Eir than I have had.
    I've got the even older model modem..Eyxel F1000.
    For months now it has been constantly dropping connection. 
    I'm out of contract and Eir have told me that they will NOT provide me with a free replacement modem.
    They insist that I pay for any replacement modem from them or sign up to a new contract and receive a free replacement modem.
    Can anyone advise me of my rights here please...surely Eir are bound to supply properly working hardware to deliver the service that i should be given.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

MarsCur wrote: »
    I hope that you will have better luck dealing with Eir than I have had.
    I've got the even older model modem..Eyxel F1000.
    For months now it has been constantly dropping connection. 
    I'm out of contract and Eir have told me that they will NOT provide me with a free replacement modem.
    They insist that I pay for any replacement modem from them or sign up to a new contract and receive a free replacement modem.
    Can anyone advise me of my rights here please...surely Eir are bound to supply properly working hardware to deliver the service that i should be given.
    Thanks.
    Hi there,

I'm afraid, if you are out of contract with us, you would be required to pay for a replacement modem with us if you do not wish to enter a new contract.

- Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Can the F2000 modem be used for non fiber connections with Eircom? I've relatives leaving Eircom because the modem they have is junk. They'll move to another provider for a new modem :pac:

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    Can the F2000 modem be used for non fiber connections with Eircom? I've relatives leaving Eircom because the modem they have is junk. They'll move to another provider for a new modem :pac:
    Hi Ah-watch,

You can use an F2000 modem with any fixed line broadband connection that is ADSL/VDSL of a speed of 4mb or more.

- Adam

So about two weeks ago I got a call from an Eir technician after logging a fault two weeks previous to that. The technician told me there was nothing wrong with the line and I explained to him I had suspicions about the modem so he left another new one for me to try. It worked fine up until last weekend but since has been dropping connection. The technician was supposed to call me back to see if the problem was sorted but hasn't.
    To add insult to injury Eir have sent a letter saying they are increasing the monthly bill.
    I think it's high time to look into other options. To be quite honest I don't know how Eir keep customers.

So about two weeks ago I got a call from an Eir technician after logging a fault two weeks previous to that. The technician told me there was nothing wrong with the line and I explained to him I had suspicions about the modem so he left another new one for me to try. It worked fine up until last weekend but since has been dropping connection. The technician was supposed to call me back to see if the problem was sorted but hasn't.
    To add insult to injury Eir have sent a letter saying they are increasing the monthly bill.
    I think it's high time to look into other options. To be quite honest I don't know how Eir keep customers.
    Hi there,

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your service. If you PM me your account number and full name I'll look into this for you.

- Adam

• Advertisement

I suppose it would only be good and proper to give credit when I have been helped. I PM'd Adam as asked and I got a call from a very nice bloke in Eir Tech Support. I will update when I see how things go from this.

I suppose it would only be good and proper to give credit when I have been helped. I PM'd Adam as asked and I got a call from a very nice bloke in Eir Tech Support. I will update when I see how things go from this.
    Glad to hear you received this call :)

Let me know if you need anything else.

- Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭madyoke2009

Nice to see someone called you back. I’m still waiting on my modem replacment over 2 weeks. Eir don’t want to know about it. Says the shipped one not their issue. Contact the courier company. Got the tracking reference from Eir contacted courier company they no longer jambs the modem. Advised Eir. They said they shipped any other modem. But no reference. And again I need to follow up with the courier company

Customer service is a complete and utter joke.

Well it seems that the "nice bloke" was just fobbing me off as I made inquires about his theory of spikes in the power supply to the modem. He did arrange for a new modem to be delivered which arrived last Monday. I set it up and I couldn't get a wifi connection with my pc, phone connected ok.
    I phoned Eir tech support and was told by the bloke that answered that he couldn't access my account and he put me on hold to speak to his manager. 11 (eleven) minutes on hold and I hang up and ring again. Lo and behold I get the same bloke and he says he's would I hold for a minute. Again another 11 minutes and no sign of getting back so again I hang up and re-dial.
    Different bloke this time, he agreed there was faults showing up. He reckoned the line had a max of 7 megs (??) and he changed it to 6 megs(??) to see if that would sort my faults. On the issue of the last modem he suggested that my computer was at fault, this I don't understand as it connects with the other modems but not this one.
    I'm now using number 3 of the 4 modems and I am not having as many connection drops it still does drop on both phone and computer.

I am not ringing Eir anymore, I've had enough of their idiotic automated answering and being fobbed off by people when I do get through to them.
    If they put people on hold should they not get back to them every couple of minutes to say what is happening?
    Going by what was said about line capacity is it a possibility that it needs to be replaced?

I'm going to pay the last bill I received even though I have had less than full service but it will be the last time I am paying any more money to Eir until such time as the problem is fixed to my satisfaction, the ball is in Eir's court now. If they want my custom they will sort the matter.

Adam has my contact details so I await his response.

Everyone in Eir seems to be keeping stum. Must not be interested????

Well it seems that the "nice bloke" was just fobbing me off as I made inquires about his theory of spikes in the power supply to the modem. He did arrange for a new modem to be delivered which arrived last Monday. I set it up and I couldn't get a wifi connection with my pc, phone connected ok.
    I phoned Eir tech support and was told by the bloke that answered that he couldn't access my account and he put me on hold to speak to his manager. 11 (eleven) minutes on hold and I hang up and ring again. Lo and behold I get the same bloke and he says he's would I hold for a minute. Again another 11 minutes and no sign of getting back so again I hang up and re-dial.
    Different bloke this time, he agreed there was faults showing up. He reckoned the line had a max of 7 megs (??) and he changed it to 6 megs(??) to see if that would sort my faults. On the issue of the last modem he suggested that my computer was at fault, this I don't understand as it connects with the other modems but not this one.
    I'm now using number 3 of the 4 modems and I am not having as many connection drops it still does drop on both phone and computer.

I am not ringing Eir anymore, I've had enough of their idiotic automated answering and being fobbed off by people when I do get through to them.
    If they put people on hold should they not get back to them every couple of minutes to say what is happening?
    Going by what was said about line capacity is it a possibility that it needs to be replaced?

I'm going to pay the last bill I received even though I have had less than full service but it will be the last time I am paying any more money to Eir until such time as the problem is fixed to my satisfaction, the ball is in Eir's court now. If they want my custom they will sort the matter.

Adam has my contact details so I await his response.
    Hi,

Apologies for the delay here. I'm waiting on an update on this from our technical support department.

- Adam

Thanks Adam.
    I haven't heard from anyone in Eir at this point so obviously it will be the new year before anything is done. To be quite honest I'm extremely disappointed with the back up from Eir, we have been customers for about 30 years and this is the first issue that hasn't been sorted out promptly.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭jcmg73

I joined eir recently and have to say that the modem provided for e-fibre is the worst modem that I have ever used. It's nearly as bad as old one u use to get with Vodafone. I don't use it for WiFi anymore as it constantly dropping signal. I will have full strength WiFi but it will then drop to which I then have to turn off the modem to connect up again. After spending several hrs on hold with eir and doing what they told me to do it's no better. I ended up connecting an old tp link to the modem for WiFi as couldn't use the supplied one. When will eir pull there heads out of the sand and admit there is a problem with these modems. It's all over the eir forum and other providers forums that use these models too. 

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BLUEYK

I recently had EIR phone and BB installed for a family member. The guy who did the installation (KN networks I think on behalf of EIR) said they sent out the wrong modem and to give EIR a ring to have them send out a newer modem that works better with fibre BB. He did not understand why they were still sending older modems. I rang EIR and they told me I have the correct modem.

The modem we were sent is a Zyxel D2000. Anyone know if this is the latest version that EIR send out?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Diagonalley

I switched to Eir last month just to get FTTH and it started our great but is now just unusable and we have to hotspot our phones to use laptops etc. today can’t even connect to Sky to get box sets. Have the F2000, what a joke. Technical support have changed my bandwidth which, if you’re lucky enough to connect, slowed it down to less than 15. In fact the only time it worked properly was the day the K&N guy installed it. Most times can’t ‘see’ the WiFi and if you can it won’t connect and says wrong password or some error message. Am paying twice what I payed on Sky and am really regretting it as you can’t really say I have WiFi now as it’s so bad. I don’t have the time to ring Eir when they are there as I am also at work at these times, and I rang them several weeks ago and got passed from pillar to post and it took over an hour with nothing resolved. Reading posts here, sounds like my modem is a crock of s#@t. How do Eir get away with this, how much time have I already wasted on this, and many more before me ? Has anyone contacted ComReg ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭swoofer

FTTH are you sure??  What did you sign up for?  ie 150, 300, or 1gb?   What speed did you get when it was first set up?   I have FTTH and its flawless.  Your problem sounds like loose connections.

Yes it's FTTH. I signed up to 150 and got speeds of about 140 the day the engineer installed it. Over the next few days it went down to about 70 but that was still fast enough for us so no problem. Over the next few weeks it dropped occasionally and was sometimes difficult to pick up the 5.0 signal. Over the next few weeks it just kept dropping all the time and connection to 2.4 intermittent, but now can't log onto the 2.4. Technical guy at eir changed my bandwidth the other day. I can now pick
    Up 5.0 for a few more meters, some times, but speed is between 7 and 14 and then drops. And I'm paying a fortune for it compared to my old reliable sky broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭swoofer

If you have set up and online account you can log a fault and now its in writing so they have to act.  With FTTH an engineer has to call to check the fibre connections.  Make sure you stress that you got 140.  A spec of dust can cause a mishap.  When they call out they have to check the fibre connections at the ont  in the house and then they have to go to the DP point in the road.  Go with them and say you like watching.  New installations can easily fail.  Its glass they are using.

Its pointless trying things yourself.  When you ring the guys know very little about FTTH and reducing the speed is a no no.  Have you any idea how long the fibre run was for the dp on road? And has anyone else got it?  

I do regular speed checks so keep track.  I get 945mb down and 98mb up but once it dropped to 485 for a few days so I raised a fault online and they came out checked cables and found the join in the manhole dp in road was poor and had  failed it was a miracle it still worked. Once renewed back to 945mb.  I always use VF server in dublin to check so its consistent.

My fibre run is about 150 metres, up a cavity, across roof and down a cavity to office,  bends are kept to a minimum and no right angles. That 5.ghz is rubbish so why use it? And its bad on lots of routers.

Thank you, I have logged a fault, as suggested, and will wait and see

You just don't realise how impacting on every day life the wifi is. Just spent an hour trying to get printer to talk to f2000 and it's not happening. I've even moved the printer into the same room. No idea where the cable is to connect to my PC and print that way but doesn't matter anyway as PC can't pick up wifi and phones / iPad / MacBook all need wifi for AirPrint. Surely, if my router was OK and it was the actual fibre where the problem was then I could print through it ? Or have I got that wrong ?

So I logged a fault, it said it could take 24 hrs to appear on my account but nothing, so I logged a fault again, 24 hrs hrs later still says no faults on my account, so I logged a fault again, still nothing showing and the last one was over 48 hrs ago. I went onto chat and they are sending me a new router. Don’t know what else to do. Next doors new FTTH is even worse than mine, if that’s possible. What a disaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I'm having a crap time with Eir as well. Checked their online tester and "congratulations" we can get download speeds up to 1000mb as we are in efibre serviced area. I get 3.5mb. 8 phone calls to tech support, 8 times unplugging and plugging in phone and router, 8 times told there is a fault, 8 times it has been "fixed", never once has speed gone above 4.5. Now it turns out that while efibre lines run on pole outside my house, the line into my house (about 30feet) is copper wire, so I cannot have efibre unless this is replaced.

They are confidence tricksters, Eir do an online test, sell you a product based on their test results and then do not deliver. Comreg complaint registered today. And that router is a piece of junk, with a range of a few feet, all in all, a disaster of a service.

Unfortunately everyone has a similar story. I swore blind I would never go back to them but a couple of sales reps called to my house and offered me the world ! My old sky B.B. was great and customer service amazing. It’s funny you mention ComReg as the last time I had dealings with Eircom they had to release me from my contract without penalty after a couple of months because the service was so diabolical I had to complain to ComReg. When will I ever learn ! Good luck !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Unfortunately everyone has a similar story. I swore blind I would never go back to them but a couple of sales reps called to my house and offered me the world ! My old sky B.B. was great and customer service amazing. It’s funny you mention ComReg as the last time I had dealings with Eircom they had to release me from my contract without penalty after a couple of months because the service was so diabolical I had to complain to ComReg. When will I ever learn ! Good luck !

That's the bit that gets me, we moved house and had bb with sky in a non-efibre area, we were getting 15mb speed, now in an efibre area we get a quarter of that with Eir. Grrrrrrrrrh.

• Advertisement

At twice the price !

Advertisement