Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automated Gates

Options
  • 25-10-2017 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Was wondering those that have automated their Gates of their property, have they used any smart technologies? For Example is it possible to jump into the car in the morning start it up and have the gates open automatically based off RFID or similar.
    Aslo when driving up to them in evening can they pick up the RFID tag on car or from an app.

Most I've seen work from A GSM unit.
    Could have an NFC tag in car that dialls the GSM unit when wave phone over it which would open I supose.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭paulbok

I've future and for such a gate. Will have it on on inline z-wave (or similar) which can be controlled from the house by Alexa. Would use geo-fencing on the mobile phones to trigger it opening. Could use something like an Amazon dash button in the car, connected to WiFi as an open button.
    It'll probably be a few years before I get to that, so the tech used will probably differ then. I'd expect security cameras to be able to recognize reg plates soon, they can do that with faces already, so that'd be another open trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

now I'm no security expert but if you had you gates that would open from a reg Id be worried.If I were a robber(Which I ain't either) Id go down to the local number plate shop and get the reg made up of the car belonging to the house I want to break into and away I go happy days..lol That sytem would be about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭paulbok

If the burglar wants to get across the boundary, I think he'd just jump across the 4ft wall either side of the gate. So you are right, you are no security expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

paulbok wrote: »
    If the burglar wants to get across the boundary, I think he'd just jump across the 4ft wall either side of the gate. So you are right, you are no security expert.

lol.. i knew I was right

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

gerryirl wrote: »
    now I'm no security expert but if you had you gates that would open from a reg Id be worried.If I were a robber(Which I ain't either) Id go down to the local number plate shop and get the reg made up of the car belonging to the house I want to break into and away I go happy days..lol That sytem would be about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike

Gates are another form of security and I would think that one of the most commonly stolen items from a property is a car. For that reason using anything associated with the car (reg etc)
    to open the gate may not be a good idea. So I think your point is valid. I would not leave anything in the car (fob) or have anything assocated with the car that could trigger the opening of a gate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Neighbors have to leave theirs open when the power was off for 4 days after Ophelia.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

john_doe. wrote:
    Was wondering those that have automated their Gates of their property, have they used any smart technologies? For Example is it possible to jump into the car in the morning start it up and have the gates open automatically based off RFID or similar. Aslo when driving up to them in evening can they pick up the RFID tag on car or from an app.

I've a lightwaverf relay fitted to mine.
    You could in theory have it open under all sorts of conditions using IFTTT.

So it opens on Alexa, Google Home, my phone and Google Assistant on my phone

So "ok Google Open Gate" works on my phone, and Alexa Google Home etc.

You'd get to open with Android phone triggers too GPS, if you send it a text etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Dazzy wrote:
    Gates are another form of security and I would think that one of the most commonly stolen items from a property is a car. For that reason using anything associated with the car (reg etc) to open the gate may not be a good idea. So I think your point is valid. I would not leave anything in the car (fob) or have anything assocated with the car that could trigger the opening of a gate.

That's a fair point. My car was broken into before they used a jammer an stole the RF remote from the car.

I changed them afterwards.

Advertisement