Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange request from tenant or is it reasonable?

Options
  • 25-10-2017 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Have been renting out a property. My asking price was 600. HAP was paying 575 and tenant was paying balance. With the recent increase in HAP payments, HAP are now paying 690, tenant has asked for the 90 euro to be given to him? Just wondering what my moral and legal obligations are here.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

How did hap give 690 if the rent was lower?

I’d sort it out with HAP in limerick as technically you are on the books as receiving 690,so you have tax liabilities at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

He's asking to be paid to live there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Thats some cheek from your tenant, HAP will pay UP to that amount, so you would then have to declare you're charging that much rent, and if youre giving your tenant "cash back" you're committing fraud, so is your tenant obviously.
    What about your tax returns, what rent will you declare on them too?
    Its crazy to even consider this:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Dishonest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

LOL not a chance! Take the €600 from the council ... or even increase the rent, but it's you should benefit from any increase, not the tenant. Bloody cheek of them to even suggest it ... christ!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Something doesn't add up here. In my experience, HAP doesn't automatically increase rent paid to landlord, the landlord needs to issue rent increase notice to tenant who then passes it on to local HAP office who then pass it to Limerick. Unless the rent in the lease is 690 I can't see how/why HAP would pay more than what's in the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Have been renting out a property. My asking price was 600. HAP was paying 575 and tenant was paying balance. With the recent increase in HAP payments, HAP are now paying 690, tenant has asked for the 90 euro to be given to him? Just wondering what my moral and legal obligations are here.

Don't you dare give it to him. Cheeky so and so. We pay his rent for him. All but 25 Euro (and I don't mind this). You can't let him not only live rent free but actually to make a profit! I'm one of the most liberal people here on boards and this would sicken me.

Either tell hap the real rent or put up the rent if you are allowed. Please, please, please don't give to to him

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭FightingIrish

The cheek of him ha ha

I have a tenant on the RAS scheme, RAS pay 80% of the market value in the area regardless of what you charge, maybe HAP is the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

The cheek of him ha ha

I have a tenant on the RAS scheme, RAS pay 80% of the market value in the area regardless of what you charge, maybe HAP is the same?

HAP limits are here

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/housing_assistance_payment.html#l4292e

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Hi All,

Thanks guys.

Your legal obligation is to pay tax on the rent you receive. Paying the tenant is not tax deductible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

This sickens me that the government just hands over 690 a month willy nilly. That tenant should be sent somewhere to make some use out of themselves, not getting away acting like the gimmie gimmie scrounge they are

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The increase was to a max limit. You would have to legally increase the rent, taking in to account limits in place, to get to that level in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

If hap find out they'll cut him off and won't pay you a penny. He will tell you it's up to hap to pay you. You'll get nothing for years while you try to evict him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

__..__ wrote: »
    If hap find out they'll cut him off and won't pay you a penny. He will tell you it's up to hap to pay you. You'll get nothing for years while you try to evict him.

Lol I think it may be time for teh OP to renovate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

You should report him. He's attempting to defraud the state and the tax payer, but more pertinently with current housing lists,he's attempting to steal from the resources intended for those in genuine need of housing.

It's criminal what he's attempting and he should be reported

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

What a fantastic country, long may it last!
    25 quid a week for your own gaff, no property tax, no house insurance, no maintenance costs ever!
    He seems an enterptrising sort -he should do a bit of air bnb to supplement the scratcher also. Every little helps as they say!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

enricoh wrote:
    What a fantastic country, long may it last! 25 quid a week for your own gaff, no property tax, no house insurance, no maintenance costs ever! He seems an enterptrising sort -he should do a bit of air bnb to supplement the scratcher also. Every little helps as they say!

25 a month!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

There is so much wrong in this great Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

pilly wrote: »
    25 a month!

Better again, e6 a week. Jesus wept.
    It has to be the best little country in the world to be on the dole!
    Id say split it 50/50 with him op only for the fact most of yours will go on tax. We are here to be milked and u might as well get a piece of the action.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

Put the rent up to 715 euro

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

soap1978 wrote: »
    Put the rent up to 715 euro

This is the best suggestion I've seen OP. The tenant should have to pay some money towards the rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

The tenant will be paying the council a weekly rate in addition to what he was paying the landlord.

As a HAP tenant myself, your man is being a tool.

Advertisement