Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bryan Dobson retires from Six One news

• 25-10-2017 10:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

So I see Bryan Dobson has retired from doing RTE Six One news today. I kind of had on idea he was going to soon just did not know until I seen it that it was today.
    Have not got to see it all yet have it recorded just pure luck that I caught the end of it and pressed record. They done a bit at the end showing him over the years.
    So will anyone here miss him or did you like or dislike him?

Myself I thought him and Sharon were a good team. They worked well together a bit like Han Solo and Chewbecca. They knew each other as well as you get to know a work colleague when you have worked together so long together.

So did you think they were a good team?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Worked well together? He read the piece on his teleprompter and she read what was on hers. I never saw them as a team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Guy Sajer

Don't worry if you missed him, he'll be on the late late every two months from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Is there still an audience for that type of teleprompt reading show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Sure he be on radio from Monday....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Newsreaders are like undertakers.

You only notice them when they balls up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Pascal Donoghue was on the program this evening and said Dobson had done "great service for the country".

???

He is well paid for this "great service".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I always thought there was a decided lack of chemistry between him and Sharon. I get that news readers are meant to be void of emotion and passion, but Brian to me was always a bit wooden and half asleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ridiculously over the top IMO.. he's not retiring, he's not even off to another network.

He's off down the hall to another well-paid gig. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Pascal Donoghue was on the program this evening and said Dobson had done "great service for the country".

???

He is well paid for this "great service".

and now off to collect his fat pension from rte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Oh good ol briano

Remember when he did this!!!

hqdefault.jpg

Classic, Classic stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

weird to retire on a Wednesday

We love making "celebs" out of almost anyone in this country.

If you want a legendary newsreader/caster/anchor:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I was expecting a cake or a tray of cans for him or something, zero, I was disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Very boring presenter, no charisma. Won't be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

anna080 wrote: »
    I always thought there was a decided lack of chemistry between him and Sharon. I get that news readers are meant to be void of emotion and passion, but Brian to me was always a bit wooden and half asleep.

She strikes me as a cold fish...very clipped and dismissive when signing off from talking to the regional minions shivering their backsides off in miserable weather in the sticks...always has a gaping mouth when not talking..strange...do ya think he requested a transfer???:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Like Dobbo and his excellent enunciation. Consummate professional who will make Morning Ireland even better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

To be fair to him, he's got more going on between his ears than the average newsreader. Obviously well read, engaged and good for 1on1 interviews with slippery politicians I always thought. Sharon and most of the other newsreaders are lightweights in comparison to old Dobbo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

End of an era really, Dobbo and Anne Doyle were really classic voices on TV.

I wouldn't really rank any of the current lot as even in the same league in terms of just slick news presentation and news anchor voices.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Worked well together? He read the piece on his teleprompter and she read what was on hers. I never saw them as a team.

I suppose they should have high fived each other after each news article? :confused:

I liked Dobbo. Inoffensive, authoritative. Will look forward to hearing him on morning ireland though.

• Advertisement

He has zero charisma, can’t see him doing well on a chat show. Reading the news fine, but he’s a total square.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Once John Finnerty retired the whole gig fell apart.
    The hopelessly overrated Sharon NiViolon will not be able to save the News.
    The News is dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Fair play to him...he's done well for himself..wishing him continued success..be interesting to see who replaces him..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

cisk wrote: »
    He has zero charisma, can’t see him doing well on a chat show. Reading the news fine, but he’s a total square.

It’s a good thing he isn’t joining a chat show then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Once John Finnerty retired the whole gig fell apart.

To be honest, I thought it went downhill when Ken Hammond shaved off his moustache.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

he cycled to work everyday i do believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Yawn

It’s a good thing he isn’t joining a chat show then.

Sorry, current affairs with guest participation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

fryup wrote: »
    he cycled to work everyday i do believe

An arsehole so, sorry a sorehole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Why do they have to be so wooden though? Can they not expose some kind of charisma or wit? A bit of natural conversation back and forth.. genuine engagement with the correspondents.. it's all so forced and contrived. Not asking for them to cry or applaud or anything but Jesus they'd bore you to tears at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

"And now for some stories from some of our correspondents in some random parts of the country [that we couldn't even be bothered introducing properly] "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

And we all heard this news before you did too. Difference is,you are paid to regurgitate it.

cisk wrote: »
    Sorry, current affairs with guest participation.

He strikes me a bit like Pat Kenny.. he'll handle the political/serious stuff well, but will struggle with the lighter items.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

He was a good guy, and considering the amount of bad guys we are hearing about in news the past few months we should be giving Brian some respect.
    He was a gentleman and a true professional.

Ciaran Mulloullley - RTE News - Athlone.

• Advertisement

He was a good guy, and considering the amount of bad guys we are hearing about in news the past few months we should be giving Brian some respect.
    He was a gentleman and a true professional.

Yes, a solid grafter. Honest lad.

But he lacked the innate genius of Charles Mitchell or Don Coburn.
    Those lads had God given talent and could take a boring non event Tuesday dregs and dazzle it with magic and broadcast the Beethoven symphony of News Flash and heart stopping Headlines.

RTE need to unearth that raw talent again. Find new pioneers. Get rid of
    the buttoned up, inoffensive, safe options

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

*Bryan

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Of course you never saw them as a team, they only joined the news to keep their nocturnal crime-fighting activities off the radar.

Poor Bryan all those years ago standing in front of Newgrange one cold winter morning in December waiting for the sun to shine and it never did. Another bright idea from Joe Mulholland...

I don't think RTÉ will be rushing back to do a live broadcast of the winter solstice ever again.

PS: Well done to After Hours for giving the impression that the man has gone ar shlí na fírinne, rather than just replaced Cathal Mac Coille on Morning Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

and now off to collect his fat pension from rte

I remember on Larry Gogan, just a minute.. the 60 second quiz, one of the questions was

'finish the following saying : As happy as..'

Then Larry said 'I'll give you a clue, think of me..'

To which the caller replied 'a pig in sh1te'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Actually thinking about it I think Bryan would be he perfect presenter for Crimecall.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

He is an adjunct professor in journalism in UL. Go figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

I remember on Larry Gogan, just a minute.. the 60 second quiz, one of the questions was

'finish the following saying : As happy as..'

Then Larry said 'I'll give you a clue, think of me..'

To which the caller replied 'a pig in sh1te'

Did you though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

I wonder did he ever bate in Sharon's back door?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Used to have this image of him sitting in a bar. Next thing a lad tries to have a bit of banter by going up to him and saying "Well Bryan, any news?", but dobbo just turns around and kicks seven shades of ****e out of him. It popped into my head everytime I saw him.

Thanks for the memories Brian, you will be missed

He was a marvellous newsreader, and a vigorous lover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

His braces will be missed as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Andy O'Mahoney was another one.

Thanks Bryan for a job well done.
    Nothing like a good south Dublin man for reading the news.

jojofizzio wrote: »
    She strikes me as a cold fish...very clipped and dismissive when signing off from talking to the regional minions shivering their backsides off in miserable weather in the sticks...always has a gaping mouth when not talking..strange...do ya think he requested a transfer???:D

Idatetheboxoffher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

R.I.P.P.P. O'Reilly. No better man.

• Advertisement
Advertisement