Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Condition Warning thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Firhouse to City Centre via KCR all fine. Well, roads are fine just wet. Thankfully lots of patient drivers waiting behind. Difficult to filter in traffic as cycle lanes are now snow-dumping zones for most houses/businesses, so remained in traffic queue. Beyond KCR conditions improved a lot and by harolds cross cycle tracks and bus lanes are almost completely clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭devonp

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Where are you commuting? I did a dry run for a good bit of my commute in the car yesterday - Dublin 15 grand Phoenix park bike lanes cleared as well

Leixlip to city centre,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Nutgrove to Bluebell all down to one lane after everyone cleared in the snow into the cycle lanes so if you want to have a commute full of drivers up your backside and been impatient to overtake(which i seen a lot of) be my guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

A lot of cycle lanes blockaded by blocks of slush, some impassable.
    Some of areas affected are route leading from Pottery Road in a straight line towards Blackrock and on to the N11 direction. From the slip off to the N11 it's the same story past Stillorgan towards the city.

My advise would be to stick to the roads were possible; otherwise go extremely slow; there's not much grip.. traffic is significantly heavier this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Clonskeagh to city centre grand. Few slushy bits in the cycle lane in parts of Ranelagh but nothing too bad

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Dublin 12 to Dublin 1 was fine once I got onto the Crumlin Road - there were a few slippery patches in the estate. No problems into town Crumlin Rd > Dolphins Barn > Cork St > Patricks Cathedral > Christ Church > North Quays > IFSC all clear. One low speed danger pass but that's pretty standard.

I was 50/50 on cycling today but going past packed bus stops I was pleased I took the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Pottery Road bike lane is mostly useless - went on the road.

Blackrock Bypass - bike lane is mostly clear. Some slush at the bottom of Temple Hill but that will be gone by this evening I think.

Rock Road, Merrion - as far as Ballsbridge is fine. Canal up to Dolphins Barn is ok. After that there are random piles of ice in the bike lane - they will probably still there this evening if you are coming home that way.

Bike lane after Suir Bridge down to the end of the SCR still has big patches of slush.

Generally much better than I expected. Motorists being very considerate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

the S2S cycle track is clear the whole way in from Kilbarrack to Marino / Fairview road anyway, then some large sandbag navigation required as they block the lane twice at Marino. the East Link end of the Alfie Byrne road has a huge amount of snow in the cycle lane, so need to cut off early to rejoin the road there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Ballymun Road goes from 3 lanes to 1 lane to 2 lane to 3 lanes between the Metro Hotel and the Axis/Garda Station due to snow blocking up lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

the S2S cycle track is clear the whole way in from Kilbarrack to Marino / Fairview road anyway, then some large sandbag navigation required as they block the lane twice at Marino. the East Link end of the Alfie Byrne road has a huge amount of snow in the cycle lane, so need to cut off early to rejoin the road there.

did you do the section from sutton cross down? just wondering what thats like, was planning on a spin tonight and using the cycleway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

neris wrote: »
    did you do the section from sutton cross down? just wondering what thats like, was planning on a spin tonight and using the cycleway

nope, I join at the bottom of the Howth road. it was clear as far as I could see back in that direction but I don't know what's it's like further along.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Cycletracks from the Beacon crossroads to Goatstown all unusable this morning, but Goatstown to Ranelagh was fine overall, with just some splats of discoloured slush here and there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Bray to Donnybrook was hit or miss, I just stuck to the bus lane as some places were in really bad shape. Buses and taxis were grand and understanding (as they should be).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Another road familiar to many who cycle around north Dublin/east Meath, the road from Hollystown to Kilbride. Road was still closed this morning as it's just about one lane for the length of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

neris wrote: »

I came in from the Baldoyle junction - no problems. The cycle lane was quite clear from there until the large sand bags near the Alfie Byrne road

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

Careful if you’re cycling the Feltrim Road from the Malahide road to Swords . Huge pothole opened up in the last day or so . Nasty if you go down it . Thankfully was still bright coming home today otherwise it would have been a flat tyre , new rim and sore wrists .

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

How is the coast road cycle lane up to Sutton? Still blocked with now and slush?

N11 cycle path towards Shankhill, while mostly clear, stuill has some large mounds of Snow randomly dotted along it. I stuck to the bus lane after getting caught out once and drivers were quite accomodating. The mound of snow before the Topaz (before the off ramp for Cherrywood) is actually covering the bus lane. A few cars trying to skip traffic got caught out by it and ended up taking longer to get back in than if they had manners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

North of Lucan (the hill down past Catherine’s Park) was cut off by three feet high snow drifts. Not sure if sorted yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

CramCycle wrote: »
    N11 cycle path towards Shankhill, while mostly clear, stuill has some large mounds of Snow randomly dotted along it. I stuck to the bus lane after getting caught out once and drivers were quite accomodating. The mound of snow before the Topaz (before the off ramp for Cherrywood) is actually covering the bus lane. A few cars trying to skip traffic got caught out by it and ended up taking longer to get back in than if they had manners.

I drove past there a couple of times today, and the area around the entrance to Kilbogget Park and that Topaz looks to be quite something. It will probably take another couple of days to be cleared/melt, so caution is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

What is the coast road in Dublin like? Particularly around Dalkey/Killiney Hill/Bray ? Any ice left?
    Should i take an alternative route?

I have to cycle to Bray early in the morning from north Dublin for an appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Anyone know if Malahide into town is ok via the Malahide Rd/Fairview?

Anyone know if Malahide into town is ok via the Malahide Rd/Fairview?

It looked quite clear this morning, out there with work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

What's the ice risk on the coast road tomorrow morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

I presume Wicklow is off-limits this weekend for sat/sunday spins?

I heard mentioned that Roundwood/Laragh is still a no-go area. Not sure about other areas (Blessington, etc).

If anyone knows better, or if anyone hears anything, could you please post info. Thanks.

It's supposed to be 12/13 degrees at the weekend. Hopefully that'll clear the rest of the leftover ice and snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Was around Bray, Enniskerry, Stepaside yesterday. Snow still on roadbanks but the roads were fine. There may have been patches of ice in shaded parts of road, i took it nice and easy in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

I had a look on Tuesday:

Cruagh Road - open as far as the Coilte car park
    Cruagh to Glencullen - closed
    Killakee Road - open as far as last house

Enniskerry to Glencree Road - open but single lane only. The council had just cleared to Lough Bray from Glencree and were starting on the road down to Powerscourt waterfall.

445087.jpg
    Cruagh Road

445088.jpg
    Military Road at Glencree

445089.jpg
    Military Road at Lough Bray

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Tea2

lamaq wrote: »
    I had a look on Tuesday:

Cruagh Road - open as far as the Coilte car park
    Cruagh to Glencullen - closed
    Killakee Road - open as far as last house

Enniskerry to Glencree Ro

Slightly improved today:
    • Cruagh road to Johnny Fox's fully open (one lane near Tibradden Wood).
    • Ballyedmonduff road from Johnny Fox's to Lamb Doyles reopened today.
    • Ballybetagh Road from Johnny Fox's to Kilternan open.

All are OK on a road bike - you can get from Merry Ploughboy to Johnny Fox's and back to Lamb Doyles without getting off the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

There’s a risk of avalanches in Wicklow!

'Snow tourists' told to stay away from Wicklow Mountains this weekend over avalanche fears

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

07Lapierre wrote: »
    There’s a risk of avalanches in Wicklow!

'Snow tourists' told to stay away from Wicklow Mountains this weekend over avalanche fears

In Ireland, telling people not to go up the mountains is more likely to have the opposite effect.

Advertisement