Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Condition Warning thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Avalanche warning is aimed at Hikers and Alek only....;D and snow tourists...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

was up cruagh and down stocking lane today, few slippy parts on cruagh, was definitely happier going up there than coming down. stocking lane was fine for the most part. the road past the viewpoint is still closed

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Lake Drive is completely clear but, as you'd expect, there's a lot of water. If you're returning from blessington back to dublin via the backroad closest to the N81 on the near side of the lakes (road into kilbride), you will struggle to make it all the way through. The back side of the small lake is completely clear though.

If you're coming from Dublin and turn left toward kilbride just after brittas, be warned that the road is a bit flooded for 10-20 meters. You can cycle through it, but you'll be draining water from your rims when you get home (which is what I have to do now).

It looked like kilbride towards sally gap is still blocked and that no real attempt was made to clear the road.

In general I was pleasantly surprised how clear the roads were. I expected to have to turn back a few times, but it was mostly grand. With the amount of snow still there, I can't see the hills being clear this time next week, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

R132 balbriggan to Swords . Probably one of the worst roads I ever encounter . The hard shoulder is in bits and so is the rest of it . Horrible experience cycling it today
    Anyone know if there plans to resurface this at some stage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,175 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

R132 balbriggan to Swords . Probably one of the worst roads I ever encounter . The hard shoulder is in bits and so is the rest of it . Horrible experience cycling it today
    I think once a road is downgraded (N1 > R132) it's left to its own devices and only repaired when absolutely necessary.

You could go inland instead (Balbriggan, Naul, Ballyboughal, Swords), or stick to the coast until nearer Swords (Balbriggan, Skerries, [Rush,] Lusk, Swords). A bit hillier, but more enjoyable IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A lot of it was resurfaced a couple of years ago. It was much worse before that. I agree that it is poor in places and riding it on a dark wet night is not pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Enduro

retalivity wrote: »
    the road past the viewpoint is still closed

Ran the military road from there to Glencree today. Still lots of snow, particularly deep right at the Glencree end. Well done to whoever did leave the tyre tracks though! A lot of pushing done there I would guess. Glencree itself seems to be all clear (definitely L1011/Tristar).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

1bryan wrote: »

If you're coming from Dublin and turn left toward kilbride just after brittas, be warned that the road is a bit flooded for 10-20 meters. You can cycle through it, but you'll be draining water from your rims when you get home (which is what I have to do now).
    That road is called Lisheen, I went through that flooded section too fast and was drenched up to my knees, luckily it was on my way back with just about 12 k left. Still serious amount of snow stacked on the side of the roads around Blessington , in some spots about 8 foot high !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not so much a warning, but a comment - first time commuting since the snow (was abroad last week); the roads/cycle lanes are covered in some amount of ****e still in places. the worst of it (not that i use it) is the southbound cycle lane just north of the east link. the crud is half an inch deep along one section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

not so much a warning, but a comment - first time commuting since the snow (was abroad last week); the roads/cycle lanes are covered in some amount of ****e still in places. the worst of it (not that i use it) is the southbound cycle lane just north of the east link. the crud is half an inch deep along one section.

It's really bad all over the place. My bike is destroyed with it as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

It's really bad all over the place. My bike is destroyed with it as well.

Yes, I find myself wishing for some really heavy rain to help clear some of the muck and dirt on the roads and paths. Yesterday's rain wasn't enough.

coward wrote: »
    Yes, I find myself wishing for some really heavy rain to help clear some of the muck and dirt on the roads and paths. Yesterday's rain wasn't enough.

I'm half tempted to hose the bike down, that'd probably rust it though??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

no, better off hosing it down - it's quite possible that the crud is also salty with the gritting that was done, so could be holding wet salt on the bike. should be okay after it dries.
    if using a powerhose though, be careful not to blast surfaces or bearings which need lubrication.

no, better off hosing it down - it's quite possible that the crud is also salty with the gritting that was done, so could be holding wet salt on the bike. should be okay after it dries.
    if using a powerhose though, be careful not to blast surfaces or bearings which need lubrication.

Thanks a million. It really is caked in crap.

Yesterday evening was particularly bad because of the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I bet that's what's wrong with my back brake, it's sticking, even though I washed the bike at the weekend there's probably gunk stuck somewhere still :(

I bet that's what's wrong with my back brake, it's sticking, even though I washed the bike at the weekend there's probably gunk stuck somewhere still :(
    Remove the brake shoes (and preferably wheels also) and spray the brake mechanism with WD40/GT85.

my disc brakes managed to become contaminated on my last spin in NCD two weeks ago - was my usual 50k around NCD, roads had been heavily gritted. can salt contaminate pads?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭f1000

Just cleaned my commuter to assess the damage done from the last 2 weeks. Chain is nearly fecked with rust but the rollers don't seem as bad. Might be able to get by a few days while I wait for a replacement. Brake calipers have rusted over in places and struggled to open up to drop out the wheels. Rear spokes feel like fine sandpaper while the front are perfect as they're stainless steel? Also need to sand down the brake pads to get rid of embedded grit. I know were still in for some temperamental weather over the next while so might start scouring online for parts to refresh the bike coming into summer :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

f1000 wrote: »
    Just cleaned my commuter to assess the damage done from the last 2 weeks. Chain is nearly fecked with rust but the rollers don't seem as bad. Might be able to get by a few days while I wait for a replacement. Brake calipers have rusted over in places and struggled to open up to drop out the wheels. Rear spokes feel like fine sandpaper while the front are perfect as they're stainless steel? Also need to sand down the brake pads to get rid of embedded grit. I know were still in for some temperamental weather over the next while so might start scouring online for parts to refresh the bike coming into summer :rolleyes:

I've been successfully denying myself a new bike for months now and this sh*te off the road destroying my current bike really isnt helping the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I've been successfully denying myself a new bike for months now and this sh*te off the road destroying my current bike really isnt helping the situation.

its obviously time to buy another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

The roads should get a good clean today. Plenty of rain forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Roads are going to get in worse condition with rain and expected cold snap again, the tiny holes on the roads are turning into craters so be careful in the rain with hidden dangers

NBar wrote: »
    Roads are going to get in worse condition with rain and expected cold snap again, the tiny holes on the roads are turning into craters so be careful in the rain with hidden dangers

It's very dodgy cycling through puddles. Hard to know what type of crater to expect in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

NBar wrote: »
    The cold spell is actually not going to be as cold as expected. Very little in the way of snow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Remove the brake shoes (and preferably wheels also) and spray the brake mechanism with WD40/GT85.

Easy for you to say :D, last time I tried to do something like that I nearly threw the bike out the window....bike mechanics is not my strong point, will drop to LBS instead and set feminism back about 50 years in the process!

The roads this morning were horrendous with mini floods covering up all the ravines.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I washed my bike on Saturday, that was well worth it :pac:

Easy for you to say :D, last time I tried to do something like that I nearly threw the bike out the window....bike mechanics is not my strong point, will drop to LBS instead and set feminism back about 50 years in the process!....
    LOL :D

You can still do it with the brake shoes in place but try to cover them with a cloth as much as possible to prevent the pads/rims getting lubricated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

You could try it with just hot water to start with. If it's road salt clogging up the caliper it will dissolve. Then drip oil into the pivots.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

mightnt be many of us down this road today, but still, just spotted on twitter

https://twitter.com/aaroadwatch/status/973932833105502208

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

1bryan wrote: »
    mightnt be many of us down this road today, but still, just spotted on twitter

https://twitter.com/aaroadwatch/status/973932833105502208

Alek dons wetsuit....

Advertisement