Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Condition Warning thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Anybody out and about on roads in South Dublin/Phoenix park and if so what are the conditions like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

daragh_ wrote: »
    Alek dons wetsuit....

See 2:56

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_7k3fnxPq0

Anybody out and about on roads in South Dublin/Phoenix park and if so what are the conditions like?

All dry, except for a few easily avoidable patches and this part of the road closed to traffic that is full of frozen sleet (maybe 50m...)

https://goo.gl/maps/NXCUuce8GNU2

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

bazermc wrote: »

Was walking up there this morning. Mainly fine just a few spots with some ice along the south side, the roads along chesterfield are all fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Not as frosty as I expected for -3 when I left, but avoided cycle tracks and roads seemed fine. Firhouse > City centre via KCR. Feels bloody cold though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Not as frosty as I expected for -3 when I left, but avoided cycle tracks and roads seemed fine. Firhouse > City centre via KCR. Feels bloody cold though.

I came in that way too, there was a nice big frozen puddle on the cycle track up the road from the roundabout close to the KCR.

I said a few hail marys going over it as i saw it late. Bloody squeaky bum time.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

And 20 hubs :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I read in the Sally Gap thread that around Roundwood mightn't be great.

I'm planning on cycling to Aughrim and back tomorrow. Plan was to go via Enniskerry/Roundwood >> Annamoe >> Laragh and then via Rathnew, >> Greystones >> Brack on the way back.

I'm assuming as far as enniskerry is fine, but from there to Roundwood and a bit past I'm not sure about? Anyone been in the area lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Weepsie wrote: »
    I read in the Sally Gap thread that around Roundwood mightn't be great.

I'm planning on cycling to Aughrim and back tomorrow. Plan was to go via Enniskerry/Roundwood >> Annamoe >> Laragh and then via Rathnew, >> Greystones >> Brack on the way back.

I'm assuming as far as enniskerry is fine, but from there to Roundwood and a bit past I'm not sure about? Anyone been in the area lately?
    Enniskerry to Roundwood via either Long Hill or Old Long Hill, and on to Annamoe is fine. Nothing noticeable/ worse than usual from the car anyway. I'm planning the Old Long Hill on the bike over the weekend fwiw!

The road that I'm aware off that is really bad is if you go left at the church and back around the reservoir past the filter beds towards Ashford via Killeskey/ Easy Devils Glen. But there are more potholes around in general than usual.

• Advertisement

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Enniskerry to Roundwood via either Long Hill or Old Long Hill, and on to Annamoe is fine. Nothing noticeable/ worse than usual from the car anyway. I'm planning the Old Long Hill on the bike over the weekend fwiw!

The road that I'm aware off that is really bad is if you go left at the church and back around the reservoir past the filter beds towards Ashford via Killeskey/ Easy Devils Glen. But there are more potholes around in general than usual.

Cheers, Either of my 2 routes doesn't take me around there. Enniskerry, up past Ballinastoe, Roundwood and on from there. I'd have turned off for Rathnew before I got to Ashford too on the way back.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Cheers, Either of my 2 routes doesn't take me around there. Enniskerry, up past Ballinastoe, Roundwood and on from there. I'd have turned off for Rathnew before I got to Ashford too on the way back.
    Ah yeah, I just thought it was an addition to the Road Condition thread.

I'd assume Annamoe to Laragh is fine too btw, I just can't personally vouch for them. No idea of Clara Vale since the snow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

R132 balbriggan to Swords . Probably one of the worst roads I ever encounter . The hard shoulder is in bits and so is the rest of it . Horrible experience cycling it today
    Anyone know if there plans to resurface this at some stage ?
    i cycled this for the first time today; i don't know what everyone is complaining about. bone density is often cited as an issue for cyclists, surely this road would help?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

i cycled this for the first time today;...
    WTF? That's a bit like saying "I walked for the first time today". How did you manage to avoid the R132 until now?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe by heeding you guys?

I've never been on it either. I've been on the R132 between City Centre and Swords, but never been on to Balbriggan. Need to explore some way past the Naul that isn't just Stamullen next weekend methinks

That said, I meant to add to this thread that the there's one or 2 bad patches around Old Long Hill. People are probably aware of that. Going up via Lover's leap lane towards roundwood the other week was mostly fine, but there were 2 parts i wouldn't want to have met on a descent and there was a load of mud on part of the road too.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

maybe by heeding you guys?

Best to avoid it , it’s probably the most depressing road in the whole of Western Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Best to avoid it , it’s probably the most depressing road in the whole of Western Europe

I ride it to work, so that makes it doubly depressing for me!

main reason i was on it was i wanted to try the nag's head from the east side.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

main reason i was on it was i wanted to try the nag's head from the east side.

Nags head ? Myself and my brother Derek used to drink there . Wasn’t the same after poor Trigger passed ..

• Advertisement

Just giving this thread a bump.

I know tar is melting all over the shop, but Killeskey/ "Easy Devils Glen" between Roundwood and Ashford was particularly bad yesterday. It was breaking up just below Killeskey crossroads. It'd be a fairly fast point on the descent, and the worst bits are on the bends so somewhat blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Is the military road above the viewpoint closed due to gorse fires? Saw the tv3 video earlier, looks like the road just above their looking over the resevoirs

retalivity wrote: »
    Is the military road above the viewpoint closed due to gorse fires? Saw the tv3 video earlier, looks like the road just above their looking over the resevoirs
    "Wicklow Alerts" is saying it is closed between Glencree and the Gap. Also a several fires in the vicinity of the Kilmac/ Long Hill. The Long Hill has gone up 5 or 6 days in a row at this stage. There was a fire between Glenmacnass and the gap yesterday I think, and Crone Woods (for the mtbers!).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

"Wicklow Alerts" is saying it is closed between Glencree and the Gap. Also a several fires in the vicinity of the Kilmac/ Long Hill. The Long Hill has gone up 5 or 6 days in a row at this stage. There was a fire between Glenmacnass and the gap yesterday I think, and Crone Woods (for the mtbers!).

Well that is my route home ruined, Can you go over the Gap from Manor Kilbride towards Roundwood at all or is the Gap closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I think it's the second day for one in Kilmac too, although I'm not sure if they're in the same location but the school has been evacuated as it's getting quite close to the school and houses.

Wicklow Fire Service has tweeted asking people to be careful around Military Road and the Sally Gap due to poor visibility and the amount of heavy appliances going back and forth, suggesting it's a day for the beach instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Cylced up past Bellewstown Race Course a couple of days ago and was planning on going straight through and down towards Garristown that way but the road was closed. had to turn left at the Bellewstown Inn and what a ****ing pain in the arse that turned out to be. After about 200metres the road basically turned into loose chippings for about 4km. I went through that and got off that road and went towards ArdCath (I think) and that road turned into loose chippings for 2km. Eventually got to the main road for Garristown and it was like being on a motor racing track after the previous 2 roads, felt so smooth

• Registered Users Posts: 22 fader123

any updates on Sally Gap road closures? Would love to head up there tomorrow morning if it's possible. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Was up there today, the road is closed from Sally Gap down towards Dublin via Military hill road. Not sure how far down that was. Looking from the gap there's a fairly large volume of smoke so wouldn't chance gettign through. The Sally - Kippure road is smokey. I was descending it but imagine coming up gasping for breath and getting smoke wouldn't be nice.

The other 3 approaches to the gap are open.

No issues with melting tar anywhere I went (Lake Drive, Wicklow Gap, Shay Elliott, Roundwood, Sally Gap, Manor Kilbride)

There's road closed signs on Lake Drive, but it's fine for bikes to get through. It's just some resurfacing so about 50m of loose chippings at worst. Probabyl cleared it off for the weekend anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭gmacww

Went out for a late spin last night. Lots of smoke around the lake drifting across to valleymount. The gorse fire has made its way over to us here in Blessington so be careful if you're out this way. Visibility was quite low in places.

Also if descending down Hollywood hill there is a fair bit of melting tar on the corners and to counteract it they put sand on the road. It's lethal at a good speed.

• Advertisement

Back down from the gap an hour or so. Road closed, and smoke billowing. Could see 3 or 4 on bikes going for it - whatever about safety, can't be healthy to breath in!

Advertisement