Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Condition Warning thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Not really a condition but fingal council are planning to stick a number of speed ramps on the ascent/decent of the Sutton side of howth hill around the cemetery. While probably not much of a issue going up they could be dangerous coming down at speed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

neris wrote: »
    Not really a condition but fingal council are planning to stick a number of speed ramps on the ascent/decent of the Sutton side of howth hill around the cemetery. While probably not much of a issue going up they could be dangerous coming down at speed

Ah buggar. I imagine they're necessary, for safety reasons, but they're gonna make that descent way less fun!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

went up the climb at ardgillan today and the surface seemed a little sandy and gritty, which might not be good for someone going downhill. however, i think it's just poured rain out that direction which might have helped.
    edit: nope, the rain just missed it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

neris wrote: »

I'd wonder how many accidents there have been there, or is this done at the behest of locals who don't like folks cycling. I've only ever experienced one person driving recklessly there in all my years.

They were put in around hartstown Huntstown at D15 amid some grumbling, but they were 100 necessary as far too many pedestrians were injured by reckless drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Whats going on in Wicklow coco...
    Fresh new surface just layed up to Kilbride from the N81 (more or less) now its tarred and feathered...destroyed for what reason?
    Ive heard of upgrades but downgrades??

Same for the outside Kippure estate..butter mountain...some of Glencree....

• Advertisement

From Kilmolin to enniskerry there are is a long section of the stuff. Awful. Certainly would put be off descending from Glencree

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

Fresh new surface just layed up to Kilbride from the N81 (more or less) now its tarred and feathered...destroyed for what reason?

That is standard practice outside of urban areas. The macadam surface just does not have the required skid resistance for vehicles in frosty weather and a coat of tar and chips is required. I know the macadam is a nicer surface on a bike but not in a car on a frosty morning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

rayman1 wrote: »
    That is standard practice outside of urban areas. The macadam surface just does not have the required skid resistance for vehicles in frosty weather and a coat of tar and chips is required. I know the macadam is a nicer surface on a bike but not in a car on a frosty morning.

Basically it is accepting that alot of cars don't drive to the conditions. Tar and chips are a terrible road surface for both longevity and safety in good weather. It results in the road needing repair more often and in good weather pretty poor braking surface as well.

It is absolutely fine for breaking on a frosty morning if pitched properly and driving to conditions, but cannot hope for either of those in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭dahat

They have done the same at the bottom of Colligan Hill in Dungarvan, very dangerous as we tend to descend there at speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

A car skidded and may have crashed ( I heard but didn't see it) behind me on the Glencree to Enniskerry descent yesterday. The loose gravel they've put down is well dodgy. More so for cars than bikes ironically enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

meant to post the same after being up that road on saturday. They do this every summer, making at least one popular cycling stretch, a borderline no-go area. I lodged a complaint with them about it, maybe 3 years ago, saying their choice of surface may make sense for cars in february, but that it's treacherous for cyclists in June. One of their engineers got back to me citing studies and research and other nonsense, and completely ignored the fact that I simply asked that they sweep away the loose gravel.

Like anything, it'll take a few accidents and resulting civil cases to get them to consider changing their ways.

Found another fresh bit of tar and feathering around the lakes trying to avoid the other sections...
    Its bedding in fairly quick relative to road traffic but still a lot of surface gravel...
    Puncture 2 and 3 now....

I understand the theory behind it but its a cheap fix simple..
    Given the state of some of the other roads in the area I would like to see the thinking on what sections to pick process.
    Outside Kippure estate the road is closed at the first sight of frost/snow so not sure why skid resistance is required on that section.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Just looking for an update on state of road surface on Lisheen , into manor Kilbride, have been avoiding it for about 3 weeks now, has the gravel bedded in yet ?

Ta

secman wrote: »
    Just looking for an update on state of road surface on Lisheen , into manor Kilbride, have been avoiding it for about 3 weeks now, has the gravel bedded in yet ?

Ta

The road has bedded Secman but the junctions are a mess with loose gravel..
    Ive only come from the gap (Mooneys side)...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Diesel on the road opposite Clonskeagh Mosque this morning.
    Car fuel line appeared to burst in a line of traffic. A few of us helped push the lady’s car up onto the grass verge but there was a substantial pool of diesel on the road and into the cycle path from it.

Shoes slipped on the pedals a few times afterwards, so can’t imagine you’d want to cycle through it at any great speed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

Fresh gravel all over the Liam Horner and on towards the Featherbeds, wasn't there yesterday. I don't know how far in the direction of the Featherbeds it extends. There are gravel warning signs all down the waterfall side of Glencree so the rest may be destroyed in the next few days.

So that's both routes up from Enniskerry now as it's all over the other one too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

The gravel goes all the way to the turn for Bohernabreena

Ah B.....X!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

Weepsie wrote: »
    So that's both routes up from Enniskerry now as it's all over the other one too.

The Enniskerry side is grand now, the chippings were only on a short stretch and they've fairly bedded in. Fresh smooth tarmac was laid in the last week or so though between the turn for Devils Elbow and Kilgarron. Lovely to cycle on. Top quality surface. So chances are that will be hit with chippings at some stage also :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭C3PO

Fresh gravel all the way from a few kms before the Reconciliation Centre, on the Enniskerry side, all the way to the Featherbeds high point! Not too bad climbing up but wouldn't fancy it going down! Wasn't there on Sunday!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

It wasn't nice coming down it yesterday

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Borderfox wrote: »
    It wasn't nice coming down it yesterday

Was up there just now, looked crap so came back down by the featherbeds rather than Glencree. Why do they do this, there must be ten bikes for every car on that stretch of road?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭C3PO

smacl wrote: »
    Was up there just now, looked crap so came back down by the featherbeds rather than Glencree. Why do they do this, there must be ten bikes for every car on that stretch of road?

They’d be much better doing something with Cruagh Hill - really hate descending down that, the surface is terrible particularly under the trees!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Apparently if the road isn't on the gritting list it must be ripped to shreds.

ED E wrote: »
    Apparently if the road isn't on the gritting list it must be ripped to shreds.

I reckon it is probably just the lads from Wickla Co Co letting us jackeens know that we've left the pale. Chucking a bunch of pebbles on the road just after the county boundary and up and down the roads to Glencree and Djouce seems to be a regular event. The bit they've done further on down between the gap and Laragh is a fantastic surface. Gas that you can see the country line so visibly.

486186.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I reckon it is probably just the lads from Wickla Co Co letting us jackeens know that we've left the pale.

You do realise the pale goes somewhat further west then Glencree?

You do realise the pale goes somewhat further west then Glencree?

I do now, every days a school day :P

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

The military road from the Featherbeds down into Glencree seems to have bedded in a bit today (compared to Wednesday), you can avoid most of it by staying in the car tyre tracks.

But there are some more shorter stretches added between Kippure gate and the Gap :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a few more roads around NCD with the same treatment now. coming south from ardcath, there's a crossroads where left goes to clonalvy, straight on to garristown, and right goes towards puddenhill. straight on is covered in gravel, and the road to clonalvy is covered in it for about a kilometre.

Advertisement