Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Condition Warning thread

Options

Comments

Take care if out early tomorrow, put the dog out there and car and gates already have a light layer of frost and there were some skiddy patches under foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Tongue test always helps..
    Definitely that time of year to be extra careful....

Nothing worse then hitting a patch and going down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Take care if out early tomorrow, put the dog out there and car and gates already have a light layer of frost and there were some skiddy patches under foot.

Hope you took the dog back in after putting him out...
    the way its typed couldnt be sure ;D
    Near the hills and its frozen since 5 ish....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

The dog?

Hope you covered up the bike. It’s freezing out there.

"the Chap" as he's known here at 12 years of age is smart enough to know he gets back in to guard the bikes that come in too this time of year. :D

• Advertisement

"the Chap" as he's known here at 12 years of age is smart enough to know he gets back in to guard the bikes that come in too this time of year. :D

A bike stored inside is for life..not just for Christmas!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Lots of black ice around. some poor fecker hit the deck in front of me this morning. They pulled out onto the cycle track at Clondalkin without looking and then realised that the way wasn't clear in either direction and pulled both brakes while on frost. Luckily I had seen them despite the lack of lights and had already stopped otherwise it could have been a lot worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Beaumont to docks, Dublin . Roads well gritted this morning. May get to Christmas on the bike.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Really hoping the phoenix park is gritted :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭C3PO

-2 degrees on the Rock Road this morning at 5.45am but I’ll take that any day as opposed to the rain we’ve been having!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

- 2 on the commute as well, the winter gloves, they do nothing

maxresdefault.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i decided to work from home today when i saw ice on the pond.
    will spin up howth over lunch instead, if i can get away from the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

According to the Garmin thingy, I hit -3 for a good stretch this AM on the old N3, my gloves are cheap altura yokes, but grand, my toes on the other limb though lost contact for a bit, overshoes `n' all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I leave later than most in the morning, I was on the road just before 9. Plenty of frost about, so I was cautious enough but it was fine for me. I figure being in Portmarnock which is right beside the sea helps to some degree with ice and such. That being said, the coast track was completely frost covered. Plenty of bike tracks through it to follow.

I actually didn't feel the cold too bad after the first 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Was planning on running in today, but footpaths were too dodgy and ended up having to walk - frost and leaves aren't a good combo, lots of cycle tracks looked fairly glassy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

griffith avenue, from charlemont to the malahide road, is covered in a thin layer of mud. it's from the building site there, i'm surprised they haven't hosed it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The padlock on my shed door was frozen this morning.
    griffith avenue, from charlemont to the malahide road, is covered in a thin layer of mud. it's from the building site there, i'm surprised they haven't hosed it down.

Make a planning enforcement complaint to the local authority. There is usually a planning condition about not dragging mud onto the road.

Very chilly and frosty this morning. Ok this evening, cold but not freezing.
    Warmer tomorrow *crosses fingers*

Make a planning enforcement complaint to the local authority. There is usually a planning condition about not dragging mud onto the road.
    to be fair, i've cycled a lot along that stretch in the mornings and evenings and it's been clean. passing along there today at lunchtime was the first time i've been there in weeks, so it's possible they do have a cleaning schedule.

• Advertisement

Oil spill/Diesel spill all the way down Gunny hill to Ballycullen(the left road at Orlagh house to Lidl direction)...albeit descended safely not too sure on a night time spin just to give the heads up..

Just be careful coming down Sally gap towards Kilbride...
    WW CoCo pebble dashed very recently...just after the first bridge for a few km and mounds of pebble on the road in places from falling off the delivery truck.

Chippings on the descent from Glencree for a k or two also. Big piles of gravel at the mtb place they put the double yellows at too, I really hope it goes on trails and not on the road, but I hold out little hope.

That stretch from Sally Gap to Kilbride is one of my favourite descents :( I hit my max speeds along there :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭bbuzz

eeeee wrote: »
    Chippings on the descent from Glencree for a k or two also.

The Crone Wood decent is a bit better at the moment, small section with loose chippings, but much shorter than Glencree.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The Threecastles road from the bridge at Blessington to Manor Kilbride is closed - local access only. Presumably it's for resurfacing as the road is in bits - especially at the castle ruins.

No doubt Wicklow Co. Co. will lay a carpet of loose chippings in the very near future.

Normally I'd venture up a closed road once there's local access but I was on an extended WFH lunch break so I couldn't risk further delay.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Not so much a surface warning, but somerton lane (nice short leg tester near park)seems to be closed a lot lately. I presume there's some building work been done near it or something, as I thought it only been resurfaced last year.

I like to zig zag around it, rugged lane and tinkers hill, but can't at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Ashford to Roundwood - Killiskey has been chip and tarred this week, and the Nuns Cross to the bottom of the (not easy) Devils Glen is closed today, presumably for the same treatment (and on up the road towards Garryduff Cross)

Ugh this is all awful news. Maybe time for an email to the council, see if they can avoid chip and tar on popular cycling routes? Maybe use heatmaps to judge which roads they can put that on?
    I think encouraging cycling is part of the government strategic plan for sport, could make a case for it under that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

I'd love to see what the WCC rationale is for picking roads for treatment, if there is any in the first place. Consistently over the last few years roads have received treatment that didn't need it, and yet they put down a billiard smooth surface on a stretch between Glenmacnass and Sally Gap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

Glad to hear that this road is getting some attention at last as it has been in a poor state with potholes for many years now. I hope they do a good job and go easy with the chippings.

Advertisement