Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Condition Warning thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Bit icy cycling around Ballyboden this morning though starting to thaw, I'd guess further up Cruagh and Stocking lane will stay frozen for much of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭gmacww

Not sure if there is a new sign up but technically speaking it's always been closed to bikes. The sign at the gate states that its prohibited to cycle on it. It is private land after all. Now I've been cycling it for years as have many and in all my years I've only ever encountered one car on it and they waved at me. I think it was always more of a legal thing that if you crash "well you shouldn't have been there in the first place"...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Be careful this morning, reports of black ice around parts of Wexford, presume its elsewhere too.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭devonp

Deepening pothole just outside Sam's/Da Vinci's on Main St Leixlip, saw it today on my cycle, but won't like to hit it in the dark on my commute..😮

Submitted to FixMyStreet....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,982 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Dense fog alert for Leinster and Munster from 8pm tonight until Midday tomorrow. Some locations may have freezing fog which will obscure glasses and goggles on contact. Localised black ice will also occur.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

actually, the weather has been otherwise pretty good this week; dry, bright, and settled, albeit not madly warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭Archeron

I see a lot of cyclists on the R154 from Dublin into trim, not a cyclist myself but as a driver I've found a newly surfaced stretch on that road is very dodgy. Heading toward trim, once you go through the dunshaughlin roundabout, from there pass the warrentstown arms pub and to the start of the 60 zone in kiltale was resurfaced recently and I've felt a slide twice in the car, once dry and cold, and once wet. Have heard a lot of car accidents have happened there since resurfacing was done.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Some hedge cutting between at Margaret's golf club and corrstown golf club with the debris all over the road.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

About -1 when I went out at 5am this morning but no one on the roads bar one car and a few artics from Rosslare port. It was lovely and peaceful (until the council truck hit me with salt/grit). Despite the temperature, no ice on the roads.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Lads are working at that area as we speak. I'm assuming they're resurfacing it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Same all along Red Lane near Blessington. It looks like Wicklow Co Co are just leaving the debris to decompose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Was walking 😱 along a section of Lake Drive about a km north of Ballyknockan on Monday afternoon having been up in the mountains. Came across a north facing slope in shade and it was like a skating rink. The road surface was rough with projecting chippings and I had thought these would give better grip but it was quite the opposite with a fine coating of black ice on each chip.

The following morning on a club spin I very nearly came down on a slow bend with a similar rough surface. Whether it's the wheels bouncing on the chippings or ice adhering to them I'm not sure but it's something to watch out for these wintery days.

my in-law's next door neighbour was in a pileup with a group from i think ashbourne wheelers the weekend before last, somewhere out that direction - they hit black ice. my father in law said he thinks seven of them were injured; the neighbour broke a collar bone and wrecked her bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

What's the story with Fingal CC are they just afraid of looking after there road infrastructure, the Swords Road for such a vital stretch could do with a splash of paint.

Then why on earth didn't they put any cycle infrastructure in Northbound with the roundabout upgrade? Instead your flung across a motorway slipway into a buslane then cross back out across a motorway slipway exit. I wouldn't mind there's plenty of space for it.

Then folks watch that 'new' cycle lane at DCU, the bean counters in DCC decided to not bother resurfacing first but instead flung the grid down. The problem is there are some serious potholes now lurking and hidden away till last min.

where are you talking about on the swords road?

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Sorry on mobile, its at the Airport Roundabout wasn't that redeveloped to add more traffic lights and they dug up and resurfaced it.

Then the cycle lane the way out and back and the road itself, the road markings are badly faded for any road user and the traffic lights majority of the time are fairly old and faint.

I suppose apart from having a moan about it, its if anyone hasn't been out that way, just take it handy the markings are faint for the cycle lane, some parts are on the path last moment, expect the cycle lane to just vanish and use caution coming up to the Airport Roundabout Southbound as you'll be quite suddenly crossing a road that links to the M1 with no cycle lane, the speed limit is 60 but most do 80/100 at that stretch.

ah yeah - that has come up for discussion multiple times here.

at the other end of the airport yesterday, i had a double wheel slide on the roundabout near kilshane cross. thankfully i reckon each wheel slid just a few cm; but i was taking a tight line around the roundabout, and it's not one you want to wipe out on. i'll be taking it wider around the roundabout today if i'm back out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Wicklow roads appeared to be greasy as feck over the weekend (and presumably still now with no change in the weather). A number of incidents (both group and solo) of riders sliding out. And anecdotally from mentioning it to locals seems people driving have noticed the traction control coming on on main roads and gentle bends. Anyway, came home and checked whatsapp and was pleased I went gravel!

Seems to be a build up of muck from vehicles/ building/ farms and getting damp but never clearing with no rain - a bit like the effect they always say about summer rain following a dry spell.

Roads around Gorey extremely greasy, combination of residual mud left on roads following the Christmas floods and tractors leaving muck on roads, more prevalent near field gates and farm entrance . Roundabouts in Arklow very slippery, we had a faller on Saturday, that was at a slow speed too

• Advertisement

Even the road in our estate is greasy and no work going on. Could be a build up from the gritter and there being now rain?

yesterday was fine, roads were fairly dry around NCD - but on saturday they were damp and the tyres just felt the faintest bit squirrelly under me, couple of times it felt like they were just holding grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It was Saturday when it was damper that there seemed to be the incidents alright, but everyone was probably more cautious as well. There doesn't seem to be much change in the weather out to next weekend though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Yeah i went down through the Naul on Saturday, me and that Quarry to the north are never going to get along.

Was not happy going down through the **** past it and into the village. Jeep up my behind me was no help.

Yesterday was a lot better

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Descent from Ballinscorney towards Firhouse was a bit sketchy on Saturday with a thin film of mud covering the first km or so. Coming down Cruagh at lunch I came across a family with two kids and a dog walking down the wrong side of the road, also in greasy conditions. No issue luckily as it is a road I've become used to being very cautious on but not a great road to be walking down as a group.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Given the early morning ice on backroads over the last few weeks, our club spins have featured the dreaded R132 more often than any of us would like. At least some sections before Balbriggan have been resurfaced in recent years although the promised cycle lanes never materialised. However, north of Balbriggan as far as the county border at Gormanstown is atrocious with potholes, a really rough surface and a slightly narrower width than elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

+1. We had someone slide out and hit the deck in Greystones on Saturday AM. On the R761 where you take the right instead of going into the town, just beside Roches Pharmacy. Luckily we were taking it fairly handy at the time so no major damage. One to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It wouldn't be the Co Co. The law was changed 20 or 30 years ago to make land owners responsible for hedge trimming where their land fronts public roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I'll add to the greasy road warnings.

Just came a croper on a roundabout.

I took none of the above warnings into account and shot into it at about 35k an hour.

No damage really bar a skinned elbow.

New spine road Bettystown

• Advertisement

Ouch.... the roundabout at Avoca between Saggart and Rathcoole looked very greasy last night, we approached it very gingerly

Advertisement