Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Condition Warning thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

07Lapierre wrote: »
    ... I would NOT cycle around NCD until Monday at the earliest!
    Club ride on tomorrow! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

VCB going from Balbriggan square at 0930 but up the coast to Drogheda and possibly on to Clogherhead as long as conditions ok. Those roads all clear as of this evening and gritted.
    Yis are welcome if ye want.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

07Lapierre wrote: »
    R122 was cleared today with a snow plough. So it's technically "open", but it hasn't been gritted, and it's very narrow in places. I would NOT cycle around NCD until Monday at the earliest!
    cheers - there goes my chance to scratch the itch for the next week - haven't been out since sunday and am travelling with work from monday.

RobFowl wrote: »
    VCB going from Balbriggan square at 0930 but up the coast to Drogheda and possibly on to Clogherhead as long as conditions ok. Those roads all clear as of this evening and gritted.
    Yis are welcome if ye want.

Been a decent thaw on here today in Drogheda and the ploughs and gritters have been out, drove the main road to from Drogheda to Termonfecken earlier and it was grand, but I assume ye will be heading out to Baltray and and onward ?

I've a family member who drives that way, I'll check if they were out that today way and report back if they have.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

drove my wife to horseriding this morning - piles of snow along sections of the old N2 are six foot deep. road is clear, though, albeit down to one lane in one or two spots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Raymzor

Anyone try howth today?

at least in ireland i've not seen any reports of snoil/snirt:

https://twitter.com/GeorgeMonbiot/status/969611868577959936

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

It's bloody hard work trudging through isn't it? I love being out in it and so does the dog but walking into the wind with it lashing your face isn't nice and in places it was hard for me to see where a footpath stopped and the road / kerb was. I wore my clear cycling glasses tonight though having been out in it the other night so quick wipe with a gloved hand was all that was needed.

I did work up a bit of a sweat in my layers and when I got home I was down to a tshirt and got a reminder of how cold you can get from cooling sweat and how quickly as I went out to give the dog his dinner, I'd say 30 seconds max I was out to put his bowl down and fill the other with water. **** me

You left your dog outside in that? Unless it's a husky I'd wonder what you were thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Anyone know if Dublin bikes are back tomorrow?

You left your dog outside in that? Unless it's a husky I'd wonder what you were thinking.

Oh no he's hardy but not that hardy, eats out side then back in to lie and supervise the fire :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

So is everyone back to normal service from tomorrow? Wondering whether to cycle my commute.... the roads are very wet with large piles of snow on either side so just wondering if it'd be lunacy or perfectly acceptable :p I'm assuming the cycle paths around Ongar will be no go so it would be bus lanes around there. Anyone know what the Phoenix Park is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

that's my plan anyway, I tend to use the cycle path from Kilbarrack to the end of the Alfie Byrne road, which I'm just blindly assuming will be clear!
    from what I can see it shouldn't drop below freezing tonight in D5 so I expect the roads will be in decent nick anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

I would imagine that most roads will be fine, but that off-road cycle lanes will be a bit dodgy in places. I regretted walking today instead of cycling, i expected it to be a lot worse. Chapelizod to City Centre, walking on the road as the footpaths were way too slow going.
    I could see diggers etc working on the phoenix park as I went by if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

I went for a spin in the city today (Rathfarnham to Clare's Hall and back) on my hybrid (full mudguards, 35mm tyres, rain trousers, rain coat!) and it was totally fine. Yes some bike lanes are still clogged with slush but just take the lane. The drivers were actually quite understanding. I'm cycling tomorrow anyway and I don't think it will be a problem unless there is a freeze tonight.

I do recommend mudguards and rain gear though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I drove up to the park for a run, the roads are clear alright but already lots of standing water which I’d imagine will be much worse tomorrow. It also wasn’t very pleasant (very cold and damp). Will see how I feel tomorrow but I may end up on the whimp list :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Most of the cycle lane on Rathgar road is blocked. House owners have cleared their footpath/driveway and dumped the snow in the cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

bazermc wrote: »
    Most of the cycle lane on Rathgar road is blocked. House owners have cleared their footpath/driveway and dumped the snow in the cycle lane.

That's true, but it' surmountable! Take the lane! Be positive!

I rode down that way earlier today, it's often blocked with parked cars these days anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Johann.

Driving to Cork from Dublin tomorrow, how's it looking out that way If anybody has been down it?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Motors Thataway ---->

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Thanks to a clubmate's dodgy mudguard, I can confirm that a lot of salt has been spread on the R132 in the last while. I would imagine most other main roads are the same. Its like cycling in seawater. Made sure to give the chain and cassette a good cleaning and oiling when I got home.
    Kudos to Fingal Co Co for clearing and gritting the underpasses on the 132 at Lissenhall.

• Advertisement

i was on the garristown road (R130) today in the car - fine from the broadmeadow to sam dennigans, but north of that it's down to a single lanes for hundreds of metres; snow higher than the car still on the road for significant stretches.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Thanks to a clubmate's dodgy mudguard, I can confirm that a lot of salt has been spread on the R132 in the last while. I would imagine most other main roads are the same. Its like cycling in seawater. Made sure to give the chain and cassette a good cleaning and oiling when I got home.
    Kudos to Fingal Co Co for clearing and gritting the underpasses on the 132 at Lissenhall.

Not only that but its worth once the winter weather is over is stripping your wheels and giving them a proper wash, I see a lot of wheels where the salt had gotten in and corroded the nipples and spoke ends eventually leading to their failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Planning on commuting as normal tomorrow - Deansgrange, Rock Road and then up to Kilmainham by the Canal.

Bike Lanes as far as Blackrock are still full of ice and slush but after that it looks ok. Drove as far as Merrion Gates earlier and the Roads are fine as far as I can see.

Anyone been out along any of that route?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

daragh_ wrote: »
    Planning on commuting as normal tomorrow - Deansgrange, Rock Road and then up to Kilmainham by the Canal.

Bike Lanes as far as Blackrock are still full of ice and slush but after that it looks ok. Drove as far as Merrion Gates earlier and the Roads are fine as far as I can see.

Yeah. Slushy edges but fine on the road. Hoping it's gonna be a lot clearer tomorrow, it's 'warm' enough out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

nee wrote: »
    Yeah. Slushy edges but fine on the road. Hoping it's gonna be a lot clearer tomorrow, it's 'warm' enough out.

Almost Balmy! Cheers.

nee wrote: »
    a useful service the NRA provide - a countrywide breakdown of temperatures:

https://www.tiitraffic.ie/weather/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Celbridge, Lucan, Starwberry Beds, Phoenix Park, Cabra, Phibsboro, Ballymun. All good and clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

daragh_ wrote: »

Drove home from Blackrock while ago. All the lanes on the bypass are clear that I could see. Still slush around at the junction with Stradbrook Road and clear to Deansgrange and along Clonkeen Road. Still some issues on the N11 southbound, particularly around the Topaz just past Cabinteely.

Was going home to Bray but headed on south on the N11 with tomorrow morning in mind. Mainly, but not entirely, clear from Bray to Glen O'Downs but the side roads, while clear themselves, have no give to the sides so as things stand I'd avoid them, as there were cars long abandoned and the gritters etc obviously had to go around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭devonp

anyone cycle or drive this y'day or this morning?
    unsure about commuting this morning...
    all other roads i drove on y'day seemed fine outside of the estate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

devonp wrote: »
    anyone cycle or drive this y'day or this morning?
    unsure about commuting this morning...
    all other roads i drove on y'day seemed fine outside of the estate

Where are you commuting? I did a dry run for a good bit of my commute in the car yesterday - Dublin 15 grand Phoenix park bike lanes cleared as well

Advertisement