Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running cadence

• 26-10-2017 11:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭

Ok...So I am trying to understand better what running cadence is and what is the "best" cadence for me.

There are lots of number thrown about like 180 is the optimum based on littel more than a survey of elite athletes and not the average Joe like out ploddign about.

Now according to my Garmin with runnign dynamics, my cadence is somewhere around 155-158 SPM, which would suggest i am over-striding a bit, if I Interpret what the internet is telling me.

What i would like to do is get to a cadence of around 165SPM but not sure how to go about this.

Now a couple of things

1) how do i change my candece
    2) will Stretching/ S&C help and if so can some recommend some exercises
    3) How will you know what cadence is best for you

The whole idea of changing my cadence is to see if it makes my runnign a bit more "natural" rather than the forced plodding it is now. I am not one to be constantly look at my watch for the numbers...that it just purely for reviewing after.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Are you getting a series of overuse injuries which you think (or have been told my a physio) may be caused by poor running form or biomechanics?

If not, why change anything?

Now there is an argument that improving your form could also help you run quicker/more efficiently so it can be worthwhile for that reason too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭Bobby1984

I started using an app called ismoothrun for interval workouts during training for DCM and it had the feature which shows cadence. My main training app is Endomondo which doesn't have this feature.

I hadn't thought much about cadence until 4 months ago but when I first used the app, I was at a rate of 170 per minute. I haven't made a conscious effort to increase it but over my past few runs I have got it to 180. Not sure if its the training plan or whether I am reading a bit more about it and trying it out subconsciously. Either way, I think it has improved my running which requires less effort and energy enabling me to run for longer. Sunday morning will reveal if that's true!

Fartlek and interval sessions will get your legs turning over quicker and so will downhill running. However it is best to incorporate these into your training slowly as a sudden jump in pace will only result in injury.

Advertisement