Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have any recourse?

Options
  • 26-10-2017 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello,

I have recently received a Fire Department charge for over €800 for the fire department to attend a crash I was involved in. I was very confused when I received the charge as I had not rang for them myself, I knew they were not needed, and when they turned up, which I was mortified about as I was just waiting on a tow truck and suddenly two trucks turn up, asked was I OK (literally one fireman got out and came over to ask if I was hurt or had I anyone that was coming to collect me to bring me home etc) and then the two trucks turned and left. I asked if I could know what the charge was for and was told it was "probably for helping out at the scene or something" but that they do not have an exact record or what it was for as it would just say they had attended the scene in their records.

What I want to know is am I liable for this? As there was no fire and I had no need to be cut out of my car, my insurance will not cover it (apparently a very common clause in insurance policies that no one seems to be aware of that I ask!). I really cant afford to hand over €800, and I do not want to belittle the fire brigade in any way but I don't really know what I would be handing over the money for either as they literally did not do anything other than say "You OK?" I would never have called them to the scene myself and not once did I ask for anyone else to.

I have been given a form to fill in to asses my earnings and my husbands to see if they will reduce the charge based on these, but I just feel very put out that some over dramatic bystander has effectively charged me €800. I had heard this man while he was on the phone and told him that I was fine and that I was not hurt, I was out of my car and no one else was injured or involved thankfully, but I knew from the way he was talking he was enjoying the excitement and was acting like he was on an episode of ER.

Do I have any way out of this without handing over a serious amount of money?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Your motor insurance should cover you for fire brigade call out charges, have you notified your insurer about the accident?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Which Fire authority was it OP? There are also "no service provided" or simply call out fees (€800 sounds high for such).

To note it is the users or beneficiaries who is liable, not those who called them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Hello,

I have recently received a Fire Department charge for over €800 for the fire department to attend a crash I was involved in. I was very confused when I received the charge as I had not rang for them myself, I knew they were not needed, and when they turned up, which I was mortified about as I was just waiting on a tow truck and suddenly two trucks turn up, asked was I OK (literally one fireman got out and came over to ask if I was hurt or had I anyone that was coming to collect me to bring me home etc) and then the two trucks turned and left. I asked if I could know what the charge was for and was told it was "probably for helping out at the scene or something" but that they do not have an exact record or what it was for as it would just say they had attended the scene in their records.

What I want to know is am I liable for this? As there was no fire and I had no need to be cut out of my car, my insurance will not cover it (apparently a very common clause in insurance policies that no one seems to be aware of that I ask!). I really cant afford to hand over €800, and I do not want to belittle the fire brigade in any way but I don't really know what I would be handing over the money for either as they literally did not do anything other than say "You OK?" I would never have called them to the scene myself and not once did I ask for anyone else to.

I have been given a form to fill in to asses my earnings and my husbands to see if they will reduce the charge based on these, but I just feel very put out that some over dramatic bystander has effectively charged me €800. I had heard this man while he was on the phone and told him that I was fine and that I was not hurt, I was out of my car and no one else was injured or involved thankfully, but I knew from the way he was talking he was enjoying the excitement and was acting like he was on an episode of ER.

Do I have any way out of this without handing over a serious amount of money?

Who called them ?
    If someone wants €800 from me, they'd better be able to detail what it is they did for the money.

And, no, your car insurance doesn't always cover it, even if you did need them btw - read the small print.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement