Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appeal Ban & Complaint against Moderators

Options
  • 26-10-2017 12:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭

In the last week I was involved in a discussion on the After Hours section , entitled " Should religious indoctrination of children be illegal?"

As usual, with discussions that this, it is full with bigots and sectarianism, from both sides of the argument.

I had a lengthy ding dong debate with one poster, which remained civil. It turns out that the poster to whom we had a lengthy argument was constantly using the report button to shut me down. Obviously, there was no merit in the claim as nether of us had breached any rules. But, that is the typical tactics for those losing arguments. Mostly people on the left. At no time did I use this tactic when discussing with him. There is no issue with this, people are entitled to do what they want, even if it is disingenuous rubbish

Anyway, mods were not taking a liking to our lengthy discussions because, bless them, it didn't suit their eyes when reading on their mobiles. On their demand, we shortened our posts. I would love to see the charter where it says detailed and lengthy posts are against the charter. His reasons would certainly be poor grounds to stop a discussion. Nevertheless, both of us adhered to the demand.

Anyway, it came to a point where the moderator,Conspectus, wanted us to stop posting .
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057797309&page=21

This was going to be adhered to until the moderator , Conspectus, made a statement, involving me, that was completely untrue

I demanded that Conspectus either provide evidence of the allegation made or retract and apologize for the untruthful statement. This was done in breach of the warning. But there was a good reason for the breach.

He issued a mocking response,rather uncivil, which was predictable and explains why I breached the ban, so others can see for themselves what they are dealing with.

This moderator does not take the importance of what one says seriously enough, especially when lies are made. What is worse, he, as a moderator , was the one who instigated the lies.

I was banned by Johnny Civic moderator , for breaching the thread ban. The reasons for breaching the thread ban and why the breach was justifiable, on this occasion was explained in full to him .

As expected, he refused to deal with it. Pretending to be confused as to whether it was an appeal or not. Claiming rules are rules, yet,completely forgetting his role in the interpretation of the rules and his failure to adhere to fair procedures ie investigating the breach and why it happened and ignoring the complaint , the real issue.

Good job the lies blurted out by Conspectus were not of a damaging nature . Some of ye would be looking for new hobbies.

The response of Conspectus and the inaction of Johnny Civic , simply confirmed what would have happened if the normal procedures had been adhered to when making a complaint. Conspectus was called out on it for everyone else to see. The untrue statement had to be challenged immediately and it was , in some respect, albeit a mocking manner.

It is no surprise that this site has died a death in recent years, in comparison to that nut house, politics.ie

I admit that I ignored the thread ban. Normally, there would be no justification for it. But, the moderator made an untruthful statement for all to see.

Talking to him privately would have achieved nothing and his public statement makes that crystal clear about his utter contempt for avoiding making statements that he can not back up, especially when untrue.

Attitudes like his would cost this website big time, if the lies issues by him were more serious, based on the way that the two moderators addressed the complaint .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Good job the lies blurted out by Conspectus were not of a damaging nature . Some of ye would be looking for new hobbies.
    attitudes like his would cost this website big time, if the lies issues by him were more serious, based on the way that the two moderators addressed the complaint

Were these intended as threats of legal action?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

dudara wrote: »
    Were these intended as threats of legal action?

Whether they were or not, is irrelevant to this complaint. What an odd way to address a complaint.

It appears to be confirmation that you have no intention of dealing with this, fairly. If it was a "threat" what then? Ban for life? No "threats" were made.

However, an untruthful statement was made by a moderator that left me with no option but to challenge them despite a warning to step away from that particular thread.

Why did I ignore the warning?

His reaction justified why the normal process could not be trusted or taken seriously and why I responded in open for all to see .

Based on the Moderator's own admission that another poster was hell bent in shutting me down despite not breaching any charter rules , the tone of moderator made it very clear , along with others on that thread that they couldn't be bothered with an open discussion or the truth. But, that happens, no point crying over split water. Boards has a reputation for that, take it or leave it. (still better than the nonsense over on the other discussion forum)

The Warning themselves were unreasonable , but, they would have been adhered to if that offending statement was not made.

When people make untruthful statements, and they have no basis for making those statements, there can be a problem .

That problem is made worse when they were asked to simply retract that statement and apologize but they respond in the manner that they did. Like I have said, you can see what the likely response be, if any, had I taken it up with that moderator in private. Why should I let him get away with that?

Imagine if the statement was a lot more serious and it identified someone whose reputation would have been damaged? Not sure ye lads would have wanted either Mod to be dealing with the complaint

Funny that, all those efforts to shut people and discussions down to avoid incidents that could lead to legal action, and you have a moderator, of all people, who had the potential of getting ye into trouble

A threat? No threats. You would under no uncertain terms of my intentions if I intended to press legal action. This discussion would not have happened as your moderators said enough regarding what was going to be done by this site

I have pointed out that there was no damage done (hard when one is using a username) but the point stands, lies were made , and worse, done by a moderator. I was provoked into responding.

The least I request is that the ban on this occasion is up lifted and we move on.

I also ask that the complaints procedures should also be improved.

Moreover, moderators should not be dictating the way a discussion forum is going if (a) it is relevant to the topic (b) None of the charter rules are broken (not not rules on a whim) or (c) Because it is difficulty to read the text because people can't be bothered to read the site with a screen bigger than a mobile.

While I am here, if you don't mind, I would like to suggest something else (and I don't intended to be talking to ye lads in the future) none of the other mods have heeded this before, always saying that it was someone else' job:

A lot of people makes statements using terms they really do not understand. It is done by people to shut people down and in fact, they have the potential to be full out defamatory. In other cases, they just really are stupid people.

In addition , there tends to be flat out refusal by people to provide facts when called on and they are allowed to get away with untruths or ignorance

These kind of incidents always arise with topical issues in the political and legal world. It is pretty embarrassing to see so many people, regardless of their beliefs , gloriously fail in getting the basic facts correct. It leads to dishonesty and down right delusion.

Perhaps a charter setting out the usual tags like "racism", "racist", "bigot" etc that provides an approved set of definitions . If those terms are used inappropriately or the poster fails to explain themselves when called on by the moderator, then they should be warned/banned etc. Likewise for backing up claims. Seems fair to all

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It is very relevant. Threats of legal action are not allowed here on Boards. Before I involve a CMod in the process, I first want to clarify what you intended by those statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Poster has been permanently site-banned.

Closed.

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement