Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog Poo DNA testing

• 26-10-2017 12:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭

If ever I heard such sh*te talk! (No pun intended)

Senator Fianna Fail Catherine Ardagh wants to implement a Dog Poo DNA testing.
    With the goal being to prosecute owners who don't clean up after their dog.

The concern being kids going blind from rubbing/throwing dog sh*t in each others eyes.

This effectively means taking a DNA sample for every dog in the country cataloging it, and maintaining a Database for all that data to prosecute someone who didn't cleanup after their dog.

I didn't think the Dog Poo situation was that bad that we need to go down the DNA route.
    I think we've other problems in this country that need attending to first.

Maybe there's more to the petition than just that, maybe the journalist is sensationalising the story. It sounds like overkill to me.

Also, does anyone know if you can get DNA from Poo?

Read here:
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/senator-calls-for-tighter-pet-controls-811433.html

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

I'm all for it as long as the implement a human poo dna testing for all the logs that are left around the city after a Saturday night of boozing and dodgy kebabs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I'm all for it as long as the implement a human poo dna testing for all the logs that are left around the city after a Saturday night of boozing and dodgy kebabs

Ya know, that's a fair point!

I caught some pissed drunk woman having a dump in Kilbarrack Dart station on CULTURE NIGHT (of all the nights)

We all need to know who she is and name/shame her for doing that!

Also it'd be dead handy to find out who blocked up the jacks in work...
    Who ever owns this poo, come forward or we'll name/shame you to all your work colleagues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Full of sh!te.
    How common is toxocariasis?
    Toxocariasis is a rare condition, with an average of 10 cases occurring each year in England. As the disease is not notifiable in Ireland, we do not have any clear indication as to the number of cases here. However, it is likely to be as uncommon in Ireland as it is in England.

Toxocariasis usually affects children who are between one and four years old. However, cases of toxocariasis have been reported in people of all ages.

Young children are particularly at risk of getting toxicariasis because their play habits make them more likely to come into contact with contaminated soil. Many young children also have a habit of eating soil.

https://hse.ie/eng/health/az/T/Toxocariasis/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Imagine telling people about your job:

"Well essentially it's like CSI:Miami, only with a lot more dog shíte."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

It wont just benefit the poo situation.

Dogs that break into gardens and places will leave vital DNA evidence which can be matched off the national database. Assaults, chasing postmen and doggy rapes will now be subject to a thorough investigation.

Lots of perps making a one way trip to the pound.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but it'll also create a crimewave - people'll be hiring poonappers to steal their enemies' dog's poo so they can plant it in playgrounds.

The Crapocalypse is upon us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's funny because it illustrates how utterly clueless this Senator is when it comes to the scale of puppy farming and animal cruelty that goes in this country. That she thinks that anything approaching a comprehensive DNA database exists because of "kennels and pedigree dogs".

The majority of dogs in this country don't exist on any government database, never mind having DNA samples collected.

As far as I know this kind of thing has been done elsewhere, but only in fairly limited circumstances to try and verify an accusation that person X's dog has been sh1tting in a public a place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Jesus, what idiots voted to keep the Seanad and pay these morons a salary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Typical retarded BS from senators, they sit around all day long dreaming up the most crass ridiculous topics to discuss. I’ll bet the thick cow hasn’t given an ounce of thought as to how such a hair brained scheme would be implemented and who would fund it? Dog licences arent even enforced how do they expect a dog DNA database to be enforced.

I honestly believe all these failed and wannabe politicians have a side bet on amongst themselves as to who can come up with the stupidest most ridiculous topic for discussion each week. This one clearly wins it this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Cataloguing dogs logs... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's a pretty dumb and expensive solution for a problem we don't really have (not to belittle those who were unfortunate to catch the bug).

The numbers effected don't necessitate the expense and introduction of new laws when the existing ones aren't really enforced anyway, there's already fines for not cleaning up after your dog.

Cataloguing dogs logs... :pac:

Just use the pooey decimal system

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

This is ridiculous.

Also who is the data controller of that. Like would you need to get individual consent from dog owners to have a dog poop catalogue? Or would it be a situation where you had to give it up to get a dog license?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I just want to know what kinda kid, picks up dog ****e and throws/rubs it into someone else.

:eek:

Lau2976 wrote: »
    This is ridiculous.

Also who is the data controller of that. Like would you need to get individual consent from dog owners to have a dog poop catalogue? Or would it be a situation where you had to give it up to get a dog license?

We also have doggy data protection laws to think about....
    Mint Sauce wrote: »
    I just want to know what kinda kid, picks up dog ****e and throws/rubs it into someone else.

:eek:

In fairness I've thrown many a log..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Won't make any difference, it's Ireland, serial offenders will just get a slap on the paw, and then let free to defecate again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

what happened to white dog poo ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

2smiggy wrote: »

Apparently it's because the standard of dog food and a dogs diet is better these days and it was the high level dried bone in dog food previously, hence more calcium, that created the white dog poo.

In the EU, dog food processors have to operate to the same standard as food processors of food for humans, so it's supposed to be fit for human consumption if you were so desperate to want to try it. So say the various food scientists and technologists I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

This is the single most absurd idea I've ever heard. It's almost as if it came from Brass Eye or something.

2smiggy wrote: »

White Dog Poo and Red Arse Bees... two things you never see anymore.

• Advertisement
Advertisement