Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campervan information

Options
  • 26-10-2017 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi everyone. Well ive been looking into doin a campervan conversion for ages finally I have started. But im stuck for information I have spoke to sqi engineer's and campervan clubs but know one can help. Can a van be certified as a campervan if it has a petrol cooker. I have a coleman duel fuel twin ring cooker but dont wont to waste money getting an engineer out to tell me everything but the cooker is perfect.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Alser2.2 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Well ive been looking into doin a campervan conversion for ages finally I have started. But im stuck for information I have spoke to sqi engineer's and campervan clubs but know one can help. Can a van be certified as a campervan if it has a petrol cooker. I have a coleman duel fuel twin ring cooker but dont wont to waste money getting an engineer out to tell me everything but the cooker is perfect.

There nothing in the guidelines that prohibits it but that doesn't mean the SQI won't take a disliking to something they are not familiar with just ask them.

Out of interest do you burn panel wipe or chainsaw petrol of something in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Alser2.2

There nothing in the guidelines that prohibits it but that doesn't mean the SQI won't take a disliking to something they are not familiar with just ask them.

Out of interest do you burn panel wipe or chainsaw petrol of something in it?

I have chatted to a couple of SQI lads who have never herd of the system I am planning on using who just advised me to contact the insurance companies to see what their take would be. It burns normal unleaded petrol or official coleman fuel which would be similar to paraffin

They really need to change the gas cooker stipulation to a cooker stipulation. It's another example of antiquated Éire not moving with the times. Used to be gas was the only solution.
    The origin of the rule was to provide evidence of intent of private use and not commercial purposes.

These days you'd be better off with Induction/gas dual hobs if you want a touring vehicle but don't expect them to amend it for another decade.
    Most institutes are quite lenient on a case by case basis. For those that aren't a camping hob with a camping gas canister and two screws will fulfil the tickey box on the only day you'll need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Alser2.2

Cheers for your input. It wont be a touring campervan just for weekend fishing trips with the father as he is getting to old for the tents these day. I would have gone with gas but you have to get the gas system certified every year now and although its not much it is still a yearly cost that isn't necessary if I choose a different cooking system.

I would have gone with gas but you have to get the gas system certified every year now

News to me.
    I installed mine way back when it wasn't required to sponser RGIs, I haven't managed to kill myself or anyone else with my unqualified incompetence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

It burns normal unleaded petrol or official coleman fuel which would be similar to paraffin

I looked at petrol stoves when I was converting my van I wouldn't have thought regular unleaded was good idea in a closed space due to added benzene, toluene, 2-EHN, olefins etc.
    you have to get the gas system certified every year now and although its not much it is still a yearly cost that isn't necessary if I choose a different cooking system.

Where did you get that info? Is it a club requirement or something. Even the germans only require test every two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭Shoog

I would advise against a petrol stove, they are intrinsically more likely to create blow outs which are not a major problem in the open but serious in a confined space.
    I tried out a meths stove to get mine passed by a the SQI. Had no issues and these are intrinsically safer than petrol, a basic one can be had for about €200.00. They work quite well and are only a bit slower at boiling water than a propane stove.

They have to be strapped down and permanent so any of the camper stoves are rarely suitable.

Shoog

Advertisement