Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house part cash

Options
  • 26-10-2017 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi, could anyone tell me if there could be ramifications from buying a house part cash payment? i.e revenue? The house is 150k, I have about 30k in a savings account and the mortgage is 70k which means that the rest is 50k in cash that I literally have put away in a safe over the years as I get paid cash in my job but being self employed I haven't shown up all my earnings down through the years. The money doctor told me that it is highly unlikely that revenue will look into it as there are too many transactions and sales every day to look into them individually and as long as the seller pays his tax on the sale of the house and I pay my stamp duty that will be it.

Thanks everyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

is this a serious question that you really don't know the answer to already?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,931 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

How do you plan on actually transferring the cash to the seller?
    I take it you'll have to put it into a bank account? (and arent just going to appear with suitcases of cash?! :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

Step 1- Go to bank
    Step 2- Deposit Money
    Step 3- Pay for house
    Step 4- Enjoy house

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Johnc35

RossieMan wrote: »
    is this a serious question that you really don't know the answer to already?

I don't! lots of houses are bought with cash right! how do they do it so?
    Travellers buy houses with cash for Gods sake!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Johnc35 wrote: »
    Hi, could anyone tell me if there could be ramifications from buying a house part cash payment? i.e revenue? The house is 150k, I have about 30k in a savings account and the mortgage is 70k which means that the rest is 50k in cash that I literally have put away in a safe over the years as I get paid cash in my job but being self employed I haven't shown up all my earnings down through the years. The money doctor told me that it is highly unlikely that revenue will look into it as there are too many transactions and sales every day to look into them individually and as long as the seller pays his tax on the sale of the house and I pay my stamp duty that will be it.

Thanks everyone

Ring Revenue- advise them that you wish to make a self-declaration and would appreciate the opportunity to discuss it with them- and take it from there.

If anyone here offered you guidance on tax evasion or avoidance- they would have a little holiday from this forum- so please don't go there.

It is not the case that you can turn up at your solicitors officer with 50k in cash- there are money laundering rules- and unless the solicitor wants to become complicit with you- they are obliged to report such transactions to Revenue and An Garda Síochána.

The only logical advice anyone here can offer you- is cop on, confess your misdeeds to Revenue and pay whatever tax and penalties they deem appropriate- and for crying out loud- don't do it again.......

I don't! lots of houses are bought with cash right! how do they do it so?
    Travellers buy houses with cash for Gods sake!

You are skirting getting a forum and possibly a site ban with this.
    Consider this a one and only warning.

....... wrote: »

I wouldn't think the solicitor would care. I paid a solicitor 4k a year ago for an land title transfer and I wasn't asked any questions about where the cash came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I wouldn't think the solicitor would care. I paid a solicitor 4k a year ago for an land title transfer and I wasn't asked any questions about where the cash came from.

4k is way different to 50k!!

Dovies wrote: »
    4k is way different to 50k!!

fair enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,931 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'd say you'd have some cold sweat depositing 50k of untaxed cash into a bank account.

I deposited 20k in cash before as part of a property purchase, it was all tax compliant and I was still sweating like a mad bastard. Although I think part of that was from walking around with such a large sum :eek:

Step 1- Go to bank
    Step 2- Deposit Money
    Step 3- Pay for house
    Step 4- Enjoy house

Deposit Money and I will be taxed on every penny :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You are saying that you fiddled the taxman and the taxpayer out of 50k and you are looking for advice on how you can use this hot cash for buying a house?

Wow!

I'm sure you know that there is a house register now and revenue is notified of each sale. So revenue will know what you paid for the house.

Here's the deal. As self employed you will get tax inspections every 10 years or so & vat inspections more often. Possibly every 5 years. During one of these inspections revenue will be looking at all of your bank, credit union and credit card accounts. They will see a lodgement of 50k at the time of you buying the property & will ask you about it. Even if it was a gift they'll want gift tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

As you should have been initially.

You are highly identifiable from your posts alone, even if your name and presumably age last summer are fake.

Good. Pay your taxes. I don't think people will be interested in helping you to avoid taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 FebBaby

Step 1- Go to bank
    Step 2- Deposit Money
    Step 3- Pay for house
    Step 4- Enjoy house

Taxed what you owe!! Like the rest of us. Why should you not pay your taxes??:wassat:

Guys- the OP is now on a 1 week forum ban - as a result of his unashamed seeking of advice on how to spend how 50k in cash.
    If anyone else wants to discuss tax evasion- they will similarly get a forum ban.

We will not tolerate any discussion on tax evasion- or how to get the cash back into the system- without exception.

Regards-

The_Conductor

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I have been referred (yesterday) to the Revenue Commissioners by a solicitor for an €8k cash transaction (for a deposit) under money laundering legislation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Step 1- Go to bank Step 2- Deposit Money Step 3- Pay for house Step 4- Enjoy house

Over 5k of a deposit the bank is obliged to inform the Revenue Commissioners.

Hitman3000 wrote: »

Understood. I was under the assumption that the OP wasn't breaking the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

You will, and Revenue could very well charge you interest and penalties on late filing of tax returns.

A solicitor will have to satisfy anti money laundering requirements and tax clearance requirements regarding the source of your income. Even if it was possible to pay 50K in cash you would have a lot of questions to answer regarding the source of it.

Ring Revenue and sort it out.

Two things are unavoidable in life, taxes and death, you just got to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Hitman3000 wrote: »

Yea, even if you buy a car from a dealer with more than 5k in cash, they are obliged to inform the rev. It's all very well stuffing offside cash under the mattress but as the OP has found it can be very difficult to spend it.

- they are obliged to report such transactions to Revenue and An Garda Sh.

I can't see how they would be obliged to do this as it would be a breach of solicitor/client confidentiality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

You could do a Bertie Aherne and say you had a good day at the dog track!:-) if I were you I would use legit money to buy the house and use the cash to live off of for a few years. I'm no where near having you cash though!:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

A Cash Sale, or even part Cash does not mean you roll up at your solicitors or the seller with a bundle of notes. It is transfered from your account, along with the Mortgage amount to the seller. with your Solicitor handling all the in between stuff.

Your bank though, will ask where all the money came from, as part of the Mortgage application.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'm pretty sure that there is a difference in laws covering a solicitor selling a house and a defence solicitor that you use in a court of law law.

I'm also pretty sure that there are laws saying that a solicitor helping you evade tax is guilty of a crime and I'm betting can be struck off as a solicitor for life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

emeldc wrote: »
    It's all very well stuffing offside cash under the mattress but as the OP has found it can be very difficult to spend it.
    ....... wrote: »

I said 'offside' cash. If you can prove where it came from there would be no need hide it under the mattress. Just put it in the bank like everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Understood. I was under the assumption that the OP wasn't breaking the law.

In his first post he admitted he had broke the law.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement