Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house part cash

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

....... wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

Correct once you can account for it. Nothing illegal about saving at home from taxed income. Problem occurs when you work cash in hand as the OP admitted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

....... wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Offside cash is cash that you haven't paid tax on. Maybe i'm not saying it right :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I can't see how they would be obliged to do this as it would be a breach of solicitor/client confidentiality.

They are obliged to as it's the law. Client confidentially only goes so far as the law allows.

L1011 wrote: »
    They are obliged to as it's the law. Client confidentially only goes so far as the law allows.

I feel I kill someone and tell my solicitor he can't disclose it so why is it different in this situation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

I feel I kill someone and tell my solicitor he can't disclose it so why is it different in this situation?

Because the government decided it is and there is legislation there obliging people in certain sectors of the economy to inform Revenue of cash amounts over 5k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Because the law is written that way.

You aren't actually telling the solicitor anything when paying them in cash, the very transaction itself is what has to be reported if over limits

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

1st rule of spending undeclared cash is not to leave a paper trail.
    You leave one long trail when you buy a house op.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I can't see how they would be obliged to do this as it would be a breach of solicitor/client confidentiality.

It's the law. There is no confidentiality breach. Any payment you receive from a third party of more than €13k (pretty sure that's the threshold?) you need to do an anti money laundering check and request back up as to where the money came from. You don't get that, you don't act for them and you report them to the Gardaí. If you don't, you will be heavily fined.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement