Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat climbing on top of tunnel

Options
  • 26-10-2017 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Any suggestions for preventing/discouraging our cats from jumping up onto the top of the tunnel. Their claws will have it destroyed in no time. Anyone else have this problem and if you did how did you solve it? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

Haven't had that problem but have been told squirting water at misbehaving pets can discourage bad behavior so you could get a toy water pistol or adapt an old plastic water bottle with a small hole in the cap and use it on the cats when they go climbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

How are they getting on to the top of the pt? Can you block there access there in some way, chicken wire, windbreak mesh, green garden wire?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Sausage dog

Oldtree wrote:
    How are they getting on to the top of the pt? Can you block there access there in some way, chicken wire, windbreak mesh, green garden wire?

The wind break mesh might be a good idea, if we can set it bk far enough from it. Thanks. At the moment they just jump up, walk up the sides, nails digging into the plastic and then bounce & do somersaults on the top of it. Has to be seen to be believed!

Could probably strech the mesh between a few stakes alongside the pollytunnel. Thread the mesh onto a wire at ground level between stakes and they won't be able to get underneath the mesh. They wont try to climb the mesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

macraignil wrote: »
    Haven't had that problem but have been told squirting water at misbehaving pets can discourage bad behavior so you could get a toy water pistol or adapt an old plastic water bottle with a small hole in the cap and use it on the cats when they go climbing.
    Garden hose!

• Advertisement

Maby you could find another use for the cats :D

d2f776f17b84958963d94def7b8d3f70--dead-camping.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Oldtree wrote: »
    Maby you could find another use for the cats :D

d2f776f17b84958963d94def7b8d3f70--dead-camping.jpg

Abuse of domestic animals?- thats not very nice is it ...

Back to the polytunnel issue - I presume by your description they are gaining access via the two ends of the polytunnel? I have used flappy bags / sacks secured with plastic tape to scare away birds who were doing damage to the plastic - might be worth a try?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Sausage dog

Thanks for all the suggestions.

gozunda wrote: »
    Abuse of domestic animals?- thats not very nice is it ...

If you had looked closely at the picture you would have seen that it was not a domestic situation, the cats were wild, ie un-domesticated :P

If you had looked closely at the picture you would have seen that it was not a domestic situation, the cats were wild, ie un-domesticated :P

Really - you could see they were wild when they were depicted staked and dead? - wow that's quite unbelievable ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Really - you could see they were wild when they were depicted staked and dead? - wow that's quite unbelievable ...

You... you do know that they're just drawings, right?

Could you see any domestic buildings nearby? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭marketty

Put a cucumber on it, cats are terrified of cucumbers. Seriously, check YouTube

Could you see any domestic buildings nearby? :p

You think it is funny to skit about killing cats - domestic or otherwise? Your sick sense of humour is showing and silly emojiis don't disguise that i'm afraid ..
    kylith wrote: »
    You do know that they're just drawings, right?

Yes I can see it is a drawing provided by OT and indicating cats should be staked and eviscerated ... sick humour my opinion. The OP seems to agree. Hey but whatever you think yourself...

You think it is funny to skit about killing cats - domestic or otherwise? Your sick sense of humour is showing and silly emojiis don't disguise that i'm afraid ..

Yes I can see it is a drawing provided by OT and indicating cats should be staked and eviscerated ... sick humour my opinion. The OP seems to agree. Hey but whatever you think yourself...

Yes, wild cats are vermin and can be disposed of as vermin and recycling or reuse is all the rage this year. But I was unaware that you were an ailurophile, and a physic one to boot.

Hay ho, theres a fantastic book just for you :p

51Y2IK9Y2sL._SY400_.jpg

With treats such as

ywgNKuR_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

And my personal gardening favorite

d414b58821f3d9fc03eebaa7359f25d0--planters-dead.jpg

Yes, wild cats are vermin and can be disposed of as vermin and recycling or reuse is all the rage this year. But I was unaware that you were an ailurophile, and a physic one to boot.
    https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51Y2IK9Y2sL._SY400_.jpg

Seriousley pathetic post ...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Okay folks, no more dead cat drawings please. Your humour style is not appreciated by the other members Oldtree, so let's not upset any more people. Thanks.

Ah delly, sher I didn't realise there were any pc sensitives around

I've heard of Gardeners using old cds strung up on string to scare cats away, might be worth a go.

suspended-cd-bird-scarer-on-allotments-at-stoke-sub-hamdon-somerset-B1YXHJ.jpg

Ah delly, sher I didn't realise there were any pc sensitives around

I've heard of Gardeners using old cds strung up on string to scare cats away, might be worth a go.

suspended-cd-bird-scarer-on-allotments-at-stoke-sub-hamdon-somerset-B1YXHJ.jpg

Again seriously pathetic post...

Op if none of the above work you could invest in a movable feast, an ultrasonic cat repellent device that has a motion detector. That way you can focus the scare area and the rest of your garden would be free for your cats to use.

In a previous garden I had problems with visiting cats leaving their mess behind and things like cat repellent powder didn't work.

ultrasonic-cat-repellent-300x300.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Op if none of the above work you could invest in a movable feast, an ultrasonic cat repellent device that has a motion detector. That way you can focus the scare area and the rest of your garden would be free for your cats to use.

In a previous garden I had problems with visiting cats leaving their mess behind and things like cat repellent powder didn't work.

ultrasonic-cat-repellent-300x300.jpg

You can do just the same with a water repellent https://www.amazon.co.uk/PestBye-Battery-Operated-Activated-Repellent/dp/B004YCUT4W/ .

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I don't know how effective it would be considering that it's outdoors, but cats don't like stuff to be sticking to their paws, and they don't like to walk on tinfoil either. You could temporarily fix to the polytunnel another sheet of plastic sprayed with spray adhesive or with double-sided sellotape, and/or you could attach to it some long, large strips of tinfoil, just until they get used to the idea that they shouldn't go near it.

New Home wrote: »
    I don't know how effective it would be considering that it's outdoors, but cats don't like stuff to be sticking to their paws, and they don't like to walk on tinfoil either. You could temporarily fix to the polytunnel another sheet of plastic sprayed with spray adhesive or with double-sided sellotape, and/or you could attach to it some long, large strips of tinfoil, just until they get used to the idea that they shouldn't go near it.

Interesting idea but I think they would be back soon after the sheet was removed.

New Home wrote: »

Sounds like an excellent idea. Should scare the birds away as well imo. Less sh!te too

Interesting idea but I think they would be back soon after the sheet was removed.

:rolleyes: better than cat-o-tent as a solution ...

:rolleyes: better than cat-o-tent as a solution ...

Not really, paying for a sheet of plastic to put glue on, then when it all settles down and the cats are tutored, you have got to but yet another sheet of plastic to replace the initial perforated one. Dosn't make sense but a graduate would know that Im sure.

Not really, paying for a sheet of plastic to put glue on, then when it all settles down and the cats are tutored, you have got to but yet another sheet of plastic to replace the initial perforated one. Dosn't make sense but a graduate would know that Im sure.

Definly something off with that tbh

Definly something off with that tbh

I'm glad you finally see the nonsence of it.

I'm glad you finally see the nonsence of it.

Absolutely - your idea was pure rubbish if you don't mind me saying so ..

• Advertisement

Absolutely - your idea was pure rubbish if you don't mind me saying so ..

Oh I'm heartbroken now, i thought you were referring to you idea of sticking bits of plastic bags to the pollytunnel plastic, or were you going to wander around waving the bits of plastic and going "boo" to the cats.

Advertisement