Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat climbing on top of tunnel

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Oldtree wrote: »
    Oh I'm heartbroken now, i thought you were referring to you idea of sticking bits of plastic bags to the pollytunnel plastic, or were you going to wander around waving the bits of plastic and going "boo" to the cats.

Ah well wrong there again no offence .....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

gozunda wrote: »
    Ah well wrong there again no offence .....

You wernt going to stick the bits of plastic bags to yourself were you? That would be mad.

You wernt going to stick the bits of plastic bags to yourself were you? That would be mad.

Quite - that would be mad as a bush - another one of your ideas?

Quite - that would be mad as a bush - another one of your ideas?

No. I thought you thought that one up. Best get a brush and sweep that one under the carpet. ;)

No. I thought you thought that one up. Best get a brush and sweep that one under the carpet. ;)

I think you need some broom to fix yours tbh

• Advertisement

I think you need some broom to fix yours tbh

What an inspired ides. A comb might just do the job. Fold a piece of paper over it and blow it like a whistle. Might scare the cats away.

What an inspired ides. A comb might just do the job. Fold a piece of paper over it and blow it like a whistle. Might scare the cats away.

You do that and dont worry about anything - it will be fine ....

You do that and dont worry about anything - it will be fine ....

I don't have any cats????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭blackbox

Op if none of the above work you could invest in a movable feast, an ultrasonic cat repellent device that has a motion detector. That way you can focus the scare area and the rest of your garden would be free for your cats to use.

In a previous garden I had problems with visiting cats leaving their mess behind and things like cat repellent powder didn't work.

ultrasonic-cat-repellent-300x300.jpg

I bought one of these with the intention of scaring off herons. Not effective against herons and doesn't bother the cats in the slightest. Don't waste your money.

P.S, even though I am a cat lover I find "101 Uses for a Dead Cat" to be very funny.

I've seen similar ones work with dogs but no experience of them with cats.

There's always the zap collar option in some fashion or an in ground fence collar system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I've seen similar ones work with dogs but no experience of them with cats.

There's always the zap collar option in some fashion or an in ground fence collar system.

Cruel & ineffectual. We don't "zap" domestic pets.

The only form of cat deterrent that works are motion activated sprinklers

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Premium%C2%AE-Activated-Sprinkler-Detection-Irrigation/dp/B0115J14UY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1509877343&sr=8-6&keywords=scarecrow+cat

Discodog wrote: »
    Cruel & ineffectual. We don't "zap" domestic pets.

"We"? Are you saying it's illegal?

https://www.amazon.com/Aetertek-AT-211D-Rechargeable-Training-Vibrate/dp/B00IJ33VBK

Maby some kind of electric fence would do the job then, works for horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I use electric netting to protect the chickens from foxes. It also works on cats and dogs, they learned after one zap not to go near it.

I don't think this is cruelty any more than using a thorny hedge is cruel. Cruelty would be intentionally electrocuting for no purposeful end other than sick amusement.

If the pets spoke English I would explain that the chickens are family, but that doesn't work.

Don't agree with the electric collars though. A painful physical barrier is something a pet brain can process. Random electrocution at some invisible threshold probably wouldn't make any sense.

"We"? Are you saying it's illegal?

https://www.amazon.com/Aetertek-AT-211D-Rechargeable-Training-Vibrate/dp/B00IJ33VBK

Those collars are already illegal in Wales. The new Animal Welfare Act imposes conditions that are much wider reaching.

The problem with the dog "invisible fences" is they don't work. A dog is an intelligent driven animal. Often they will risk or endure the shock to get out & then can't get back in.

Normal electric stock fence is a physical barrier. The danger is that the shock required to deter a cow may be enough to kill a cat.

Those collars are already illegal in Wales. The new Animal Welfare Act imposes conditions that are much wider reaching.

So what you are saying is not illegal here.
    The problem with the dog "invisible fences" is they don't work. A dog is an intelligent driven animal. Often they will risk or endure the shock to get out & then can't get back in.

A neighbour of mine used one on a wanton springer (and it worked) as the other 2 options were:
    1. leave the much loved dog locked up all day while away at work
    2. have the dog shot by a neighbouring farmer for trespassing near sheep.
    Normal electric stock fence is a physical barrier. The danger is that the shock required to deter a cow may be enough to kill a cat.

The single wire electric fencing used around here has an adjustable shock levels, so if it not going to kill me (give me a mild shock) its unlikely to kill a cat.

PS I dont intend any cruelty to the animals

So what you are saying is not illegal here.

A neighbour of mine used one on a wanton springer (and it worked) as the other 2 options were:
    1. leave the much loved dog locked up all day while away at work
    2. have the dog shot by a neighbouring farmer for trespassing near sheep.

The single wire electric fencing used around here has an adjustable shock levels, so if it not going to kill me (give me a mild shock) its unlikely to kill a cat.

A stick isn't illegal. Beating a dog with one is.

Your neighbour shouldn't have a dog if they can't look after it. Give the dog a nice run before work & it will be fine all day.

I have had quite a belt off electric fences. I am not saying it would kill a cat.

Many gardeners face problems with cats. The only solution I have found to work is the sprinkler

A stick isn't illegal. Beating a dog with one is.

Your neighbour shouldn't have a dog if they can't look after it. Give the dog a nice run before work & it will be fine all day.

I have had quite a belt off electric fences. I am not saying it would kill a cat.

Using a stun collar on a cat is not illegal in Ireland so I dont get what you are saying about the stick?????

I dont think the RSPCA need any more animals... do you? They are inundated especially at this time of year. The neighbour did what she had to and still has her much loved dog. Would you rather the animal was put down.

Many gardeners face problems with cats. The only solution I have found to work is the sprinkler

You may remember this from a few years back and the efforts I went to over a number of years that did not include a stick!!! :D
    I had a small bit of lawn in a back garden in London and the same problem, but lots of cats would come and do their doo :D. I tried every sort of cat repellant i could find and nothing really worked for long.

My solution after a few years of trying was to make friends with the immediate neighbours cat. The cat then assumed ownership of the territory and that reduced the amount of doo fairly rapidly.

In order to curtail the last bit of doo I made a small sand pit about 1m X 50cm X 10cm deep, kinda like a big cat doo box. The cat loved to do the doo in the pit and left the rest of the garden alone. It was then very easy to use a small shovel/rake to scoop up the doo.

Only problem with this solution for you is that the kids may play in the sand pit too :D unless they can be persuaded not to and you make them one out in the back garden. (but this pit would need to be covered in some fashion lest the newly trained cat find it). :)

I have 2 dogs now and they are untrainable, so I am back to doing a regular "spoo hunt" :rolleyes:

Using a stun collar on a cat is not illegal in Ireland so I dont get what you are saying about the stick?????

I dont think the RSPCA need any more animals... do you? They are inundated especially at this time of year. The neighbour did what she had to and still has her much loved dog. Would you rather the animal was put down.

The collar isn't but causing unnecessary suffering is illegal.

The RSPCA don't operate here. All she has to do is exercise the dog. I have two dogs that are left all day with no problems because I get up early & walk them.

"I have 2 dogs now and they are untrainable," Dogs can always be trained

The collar isn't but causing unnecessary suffering is illegal.

Therefore the collar isnt causing unnecessary suffering QED.
    The RSPCA don't operate here. All she has to do is exercise the dog. I have two dogs that are left all day with no problems because I get up early & walk them.

The ISPCA then :rolleyes: you know what I meant.

My neighbour walks her dog before she goes to work and after she comes home too but did not want to leave the dog locked indoors as she felt that was cruel, when she had a garden for the dog to wander in. The point was to train the dog in absolute terms and quickly as the farmer shot another local dog who was wandering and not attacking his sheep.
    "I have 2 dogs now and they are untrainable," Dogs can always be trained

My dogs have a lovely garden to wander around and poo where they like, I was referring to where they poo as you well know and have no intention of training them to poo in the same place every time, dogs cannot stand the smell of their own poo and choose to spread it around a bit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement