Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ 6.1 News changes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Poor quality news tonight at 9pm.
    Opening sequence need up and during Tony Formats report, the presenters much was not closed meaning that her coughs were heard during the OB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Sharon attacked by a fly just now,i thought it was on my screen and then saw her trying to get away from it:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

hawkwing wrote: »
    Sharon attacked by a fly just now,i thought it was on my screen and then saw her trying to get away from it:eek:

It was a bit random alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Last week they were reporting from The Young Scientist Awards, and said how there were more girls than boys involved for the 4th year in a row. That seemed fine, but after the report they had a live discussion between three women who managed to spin the narrative into how women are still victims in the STEM sector and men have it easier.

I'm actually gobsmacked by the change of direction in how news is reported by the national broadcaster. Listening to three middle class women discuss how women are not being treated fairly when there is a higher female participation rate at the awards was enough for me to turn it off. Haven't watched RTE since.

I won't be listening to their spin anymore. This wasn't the first time I noticed a clear slanted narrative being pushed either. It seems every other day there would be a biased report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Last week they were reporting from The Young Scientist Awards, and said how there were more girls than boys involved for the 4th year in a row. That seemed fine, but after the report they had a live discussion between three women who managed to spin the narrative into how women are still victims in the STEM sector and men have it easier.

I'm actually gobsmacked by the change of direction in how news is reported by the national broadcaster. Listening to three middle class women discuss how women are not being treated fairly when there is a higher female participation rate at the awards was enough for me to turn it off. Haven't watched RTE since.

I won't be listening to their spin anymore. This wasn't the first time I noticed a clear slanted narrative being pushed either. It seems every other day there would be a biased report.

Good observation, on almost every item now there is a subtle and not so subtle ‘insert’ about gender equality.

It’s getting fairly obvious that this is a driven agenda either from the top or the presenters involved or the producers .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

It is coming straight from the DG's office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Yeah saw that too, after an hour, was sore from being beaten over the head with all the feminist politics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Good observation, on almost every item now there is a subtle and not so subtle ‘insert’ about gender equality.

It’s getting fairly obvious that this is a driven agenda either from the top or the presenters involved or the producers .

RTE has always been a bastion of PC ideology, they just hide it less now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I heard some information about the One O'Clock News for next week. It won't be back for it's 30 minute slot until the 28th of January. There has been a delay in getting Studio 3 rebuilt for the relaunch which was supposed to be unveiled for next week. The One O'Clock News will remain at 15 minutes on RTÉ One from the 21st to the 25th of January. With that in mind; RTÉ News could have their relaunch on any date between the 26th & 28th of January.
    "The launch of the new studio will be in late January 2019. The change in the duration of the One O’Clock News is not an indication, and we can confirm it will not be Monday 21st ... The announcement of an on-air date will be based on final operational and technical considerations."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

I notice more and more news programs in the UK and Ireland have majority female presenters and indeed guests. The odd man appears to give the sport.. after the women have dealt with the serious matters of the day of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

backspin. wrote:
    I notice more and more news programs in the UK and Ireland have majority female presenters and indeed guests. The odd man appears to give the sport.. after the women have dealt with the serious matters of the day of course.

Not true at all. The majority of presenters and reporters and contributors are men, despite recent attempts to address the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Not true at all. The majority of presenters and reporters and contributors are men, despite recent attempts to address the issue.

When it comes to news reporting, there is a very clear female dominance. And that wouldn't even be a problem, but RTE are pushing an obvious pro woman agenda. It is as clear as day.

Report what's happening in the world. Stop spinning it to suit a convenient narrative.

Women are no more victims of the harshness of life than men, or poor people, or black people or whatever. Pushing the story that women have life so hard is so insanely disingenuous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

New Angelus insert.
    When did that start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,386 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

When it comes to news reporting, there is a very clear female dominance. And that wouldn't even be a problem, but RTE are pushing an obvious pro woman agenda. It is as clear as day.

Report what's happening in the world. Stop spinning it to suit a convenient narrative.

Women are no more victims of the harshness of life than men, or poor people, or black people or whatever. Pushing the story that women have life so hard is so insanely disingenuous.
    Is there any chance you could identify a couple of recent examples of this 'pro woman agenda' in news reporting, just so we can understand where you're coming from please?

Is there any chance you could identify a couple of recent examples of this 'pro woman agenda' in news reporting, just so we can understand where you're coming from please?

I think the reporting on The Young Scientist Awards is a fair example.

I think the reporting on The Young Scientist Awards is a fair example.

https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2019/0111/1022719-young-scientist-winner/

So they reported the winners, one female visitor and two male visitors

Where's the "pro-women agenda " again?

https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2019/0111/1022719-young-scientist-winner/

So they reported the winners, one female visitor and two male visitors

Where's the "pro-women agenda " again?

I disagree with your response. You've linked to their article about it. But my point was clearly in reference to the live coverage on the TV.

When there is a higher participation rate of girls than boys, but the narrative being talked about is how females have it harder than males in the STEM sector then that is biased reporting.

The thing that stood out is the fact it was 3 middle class women. Who are speaking from a position of extraordinary privilege. Yet they are talking about how their gender is being treated unfairly. Men and women from a lower socioeconomic background have a much harder time of it.

Being lectured to by people who have a very comfortable life while playing the victim card doesn't stack up in regards to fairness. You're entitled to disagree with me but that's my honest opinion on the matter.

*I simply don't have the time to go through the RTE player to cite other examples. But if I had a spare few hours I could give a fair few more obvious examples of a gender bias in reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Ireland trains

Looks like the revamp is due for Monday or the weekend.
    Any chance there will be a preview of it

I disagree with your response. You've linked to their article about it. But my point was clearly in reference to the live coverage on the TV.

When there is a higher participation rate of girls than boys, but the narrative being talked about is how females have it harder than males in the STEM sector then that is biased reporting.

The thing that stood out is the fact it was 3 middle class women. Who are speaking from a position of extraordinary privilege. Yet they are talking about how their gender is being treated unfairly. Men and women from a lower socioeconomic background have a much harder time of it.

Being lectured to by people who have a very comfortable life while playing the victim card doesn't stack up in regards to fairness. You're entitled to disagree with me but that's my honest opinion on the matter.

*I simply don't have the time to go through the RTE player to cite other examples. But if I had a spare few hours I could give a fair few more obvious examples of a gender bias in reporting.

If you're referring to this clip from day 1, what you call a 'lecture by well heeled women ' was 20 seconds out of a four minute report that quoted some remarks of the President.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/player/six-one-news-web/2019/0109/#page=2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Very racy looking tonight for reading the news!?

Nothing wrong with it, I should add.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

She loves those faux leather biker jacket inspired tops, zips and all. First time I've seen her with her hair up in years too, she looks great

Muahahaha wrote: »
    She loves those faux leather biker jacket inspired tops, zips and all. First time I've seen her with her hair up in years too, she looks great

:eek:

You’ll have an arm like a fiddler crab if she keeps that look up:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Sick of these two, especially Perry. Ugh.

Ray Kennedy should have got the gig. He's the best newsreader of the lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭nc6000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭squarecircles

really liking it, vidi wall looks to have increased in height,

lovely bright daylight effect with the lighting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Studio and video wall look good but WTF is with that sofa? Its the news, not a daytime chat show. I'm just watching Against the Head right now and its looks like the 6.1 News robbed the sofa from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Eilleen Dunne has legs?!

she must be worn out getting up and down

good to see her moving about a bit.

i thought with the extra floor space they have now the camera work would be a bit more dynamic and fluid.

its still all very static and wooden.

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Sick of these two, especially Perry. Ugh.

Ray Kennedy should have got the gig. He's the best newsreader of the lot.

More meat on a tinkers stick after a fair day in Ballinasloe.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

I see the two 6.1 birds got an extra lick of paint along with the studio....
    Fecking hell, it's like watching Sky news from 20 years ago...rte forget, if you have a massive couch like that, you need presenters who are extremely comfortable in themselves.. can't wait to see Sharon fidgeting away on that couch...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I don't know if she was in the Met Eireann Hq in Glasnevin or in RTE,but Joanna Donnelly got a new hairdo today to celebrate the new studio.

Advertisement