Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ 6.1 News changes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

What's the story with all the women on rte sports panels ???
    There would be uproar if there were as many men on female sports panels !!!
    Heaven forbid if the right person got the job , but no you must have so many men/ women / white / black / etc etc .
    Sums up modern Ireland .
    Every day this country gets more and more like the USA .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

What's the story with all the women on rte sports panels ??? There would be uproar if there were as many men on female sports panels !!! Heaven forbid if the right person got the job , but no you must have so many men/ women / white / black / etc etc . Sums up modern Ireland . Every day this country gets more and more like the USA .

My dad actually commented on this to me at the weekend. Said every panel has minimum of one female on it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,897 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That new look cost 8162 licence fees.

Is that money well spent?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

really liking it, vidi wall looks to have increased in height,

lovely bright daylight effect with the lighting

Love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Was there a need for more investment in the news studio again???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

It's called PC Nonsense or, if you prefer, MTW (Mandatory Token Woman). The BBC are even worse. On Sunday they had two women in the studio for an FA Cup match.

The new backdrop to the news is awful. First of all, it's fake. There is no newsroom "outside". Then, when the camera is looking at the newsreader, the background is glaringly out of focus. Please do not adjust your eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Mebuntu wrote: »
    It's called PC Nonsense or, if you prefer, MTW (Mandatory Token Woman). The BBC are even worse. On Sunday they had two women in the studio for an FA Cup match.

The new backdrop to the news is awful. First of all, it's fake. There is no newsroom "outside". Then, when the camera is looking at the newsreader, the background is glaringly out of focus. Please do not adjust your eyes.

Probably deliberately out of focus to mask the fake newsroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

My dad actually commented on this to me at the weekend. Said every panel has minimum of one female on it now.

Shocking.

There's women on panels now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Shocking.

There's women on panels now.
    Two actual women! Two of them! TWO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Was there a need for more investment in the news studio again???

supposedly cost 1.5 million - and Dee Forbes banging on about massive mandatory licensee fee increases -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Eileen Dunne struggling a bit tonight with the "standing up" news.Also why do all the female readers wear high heels,not the most comfortable footwear for work,no matter what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

The set and presentation are fine, but the titles are abysmal. I would rate that as one of the worst news title sequences in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Two actual women! Two of them! TWO!

https://youtu.be/Tv0ueEI4OBQ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Soccer Saturday/Special On SkySports now have at least 1 woman on the panel, all of which know absolutely f*ck all about the sport. People will cry and whinge over this but 99% of football fans will agree with me.

It’s gone mad so it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

EdgeCase wrote: »
    The set and presentation are fine, but the titles are abysmal. I would rate that as one of the worst news title sequences in Europe.

And the music is even screechier now. It absolutely makes me cringe! I hadn't watched the news in a week until yesterday, and I almost gave up within the first ten seconds.

Catriona Perry is up the duff!!

Great news...hopefully she never comes back and Ray Kennedy gets slotted into the 6.1.

Perry reminds me of kids who are told how to do their first communion speech...ultra slow and massive concentration needed.

Catriona Perry is up the duff!!

Great news...hopefully she never comes back and Ray Kennedy gets slotted into the 6.1.

Perry reminds me of kids who are told how to do their first communion speech...ultra slow and massive concentration needed.

She's by far the best journalist in RTE. “Up the duff!” Really?!? Listen, the 1970s are calling, they want their old catchphrases back...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

1.4 million euro?? For that "New" set? LOL Someone was taken to the cleaners.
    Music is WORSE
    Do news programs in other countries mention/report on their new set/studio? ie BBC or Sky? I cringed when I saw it on "news now" and then one of them mentioned it at the end of 6.1
    I now realize why I no longer watch RTE. I just had the misfortune to be in someone else home at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I have to say that I'm really shocked at how people on some of these threads talk about Irish television presenters. They're normal people doing a job that happens to be public facing.

It's a small country and a small industry and these are real people.

It's possible to be critical of presentation style, direction, production and so on without resorting to personally insulting stuff or comments on people's physical appearance.

splinter65 wrote: »
    She's by far the best journalist in RTE. “Up the duff!” Really?!? Listen, the 1970s are calling, they want their old catchphrases back...

The best journalist in RTE spend her time reading from an autocue?

Pretty odd.

• Advertisement

EdgeCase wrote: »
    I have to say that I'm really shocked at how people on some of these threads talk about Irish television presenters. They're normal people doing a job that happens to be public facing.

It's a small country and a small industry and these are real people.

It's possible to be critical of presentation style, direction, production and so on without resorting to personally insulting stuff or comments on people's physical appearance.

No problem for me. They're getting well paid for being in the public eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Pretty odd.

Ha Ha yeah...I often think even their ad-libs sound scripted :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If Catriona Perry is the best journalist in RTE then you'll be able to give us a list of major stories she has broken? None I can think of, in fact the highlight of her time as Washington corresspondent was when she giggled like a little girl when Trump called her over to his desk

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

It's really irritating when the sports news comes on towards the end.
    The presenter does his/her bit, sitting on a huge sofa.
    They then pass back to the news presenters for a recap of the headlines/financial news and maybe a human interest story(New tiger cubs in the zoo).
    All the while, the sports guy has to stay sitting like a sad sack on their own.
    After the anchors say good evening, SOMETIMES the sports person will get up and walk the 10 metres over to the presenters and pretend to banter, or other times just sits there pretending to be reading their notes/laptop.
    Enough already!!
    When the sports news is finished, GTFO!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,386 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There would be uproar if there were as many men on female sports panels !!!
    Heaven forbid if the right person got the job , but no you must have so many men/ women / white / black / etc etc .
    Sums up modern Ireland .
    Every day this country gets more and more like the USA .

What female sports panels are these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Neither of these examples are RTE but they are examples.

Matt Cooper made mention on The Last Word last night about their 6 Nations preview coming up at 6.30 with the panel, so and so, so and so, Fiona Coughlan, so and so, and so and so.

And I thought oh they have added a woman to thier panel now as is the norm for these days.

Also noticed a lot of Sky Sports soccer panels for live games included ladies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

All the radio shows now have women on their panels, against the head would be another noticeable example as well. Now the female panel members know their stuff but it is too blatantly obvious to blind person that all of this is only happening due to the current climate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Time for the WHOOOOOOSHH. Andrew eh?

You know you want to

Pretty odd.

All newsreaders follow the auto cue. I don’t know why your holding her to a higher standard. She’s an excellent interviewer imo. Nothing odd at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭shanec1928

All newsreaders follow the auto cue. I don’t know why your holding her to a higher standard. She’s an excellent interviewer imo. Nothing odd at all.
    she came across as pig ignorant interviewing the woman from the IMNO the other day. cutting across her and almost speaking down to her.

Advertisement