Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ 6.1 News changes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,419 ✭✭✭Shedite27

This whole thread sounds like the dialog from Anchorman with a bunch of middle aged men giving out about women

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Shedite27 wrote: »
    This whole thread sounds like the dialog from Anchorman with a bunch of middle aged men giving out about women

If RTE made Anchorman, Ron Burgundy would be an unfunny woman while Will Ferrell is cast aside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,386 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Neither of these examples are RTE but they are examples.

Matt Cooper made mention on The Last Word last night about their 6 Nations preview coming up at 6.30 with the panel, so and so, so and so, Fiona Coughlan, so and so, and so and so.

And I thought oh they have added a woman to thier panel now as is the norm for these days.

Also noticed a lot of Sky Sports soccer panels for live games included ladies.
    All the radio shows now have women on their panels, against the head would be another noticeable example as well. Now the female panel members know their stuff but it is too blatantly obvious to blind person that all of this is only happening due to the current climate.

The post I quoted said: "There would be uproar if there were as many men on female sports panels !!!"

I was asking about what 'female sports panels' this poster was referring to. He seemed to be suggesting that there are regular panels discussing female sports on TV. This isn't something that I've seen very often, so I'm asking what 'female sports panels' he's referring to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,970 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the office in the background, its fake right, but on the bbc its real, so why create a fake office? just because you think it looks good on the bbc?

not sure I like the laptop or folding tablet sitting on the sofa, maybe a little fitted desk/table in between the presenter and the the rest of the sofa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Its the whole idea of the sofa that gets me, it has too much of a chat show vibe about it. Do any other news channels use sofas to interview people like that? Only one I can think of is Fox and Friends so maybe RTE were taking their cues from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Anything the BBC do, RTE will attempt to copy it

Why do they have two newsreaders on 6.1 anyways?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Why do they have two newsreaders on 6.1 anyways?

You don't.
    When you have 2 readers it always reminds me of the two old boys The Two Ronnies used to do,sitting in a pub and one would start talking and the other would finish off his sentence for him:D
    CP: And the headlines...
    KS:Teresa May stands firm on Breg.....
    CP:..zit deal

Pure nonsense.The 9 O'Clock news doesn't need a whole hour and the news doesn't change from 6 to 9 often...they just pack out 6.1 with utter drivel to justify CP and KS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Its the whole idea of the sofa that gets me, it has too much of a chat show vibe about it. Do any other news channels use sofas to interview people like that? Only one I can think of is Fox and Friends so maybe RTE were taking their cues from there.

I agree with you. Sitting on a sofa doesn't give the news an air of gravitas. The news is a serious business, not something you deliver lounging on a sofa. Standing is just a bit more acceptable, but not much!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

Happened to see the set tonight for the first time, ohh the sofa interviews are terrible, looking at tbe back of CP head while she asks a question to Simon Harris

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭nc6000

Dear Paul Williams, there is no such place as Gormanstown. It's called Gormanston.

Aska wrote: »
    Happened to see the set tonight for the first time, ohh the sofa interviews are terrible, looking at tbe back of CP head while she asks a question to Simon Harris

Thought the exact same myself tonight while watching Perry interview Harris sitting on the sofa and having to turn a full 180 to see him on the big screen behind it, it looked daft and she looked uncomfortable having to crane her neck over the back of a sofa. Who the fcuk came up with this sh1t!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,386 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

nc6000 wrote: »
    Dear Paul Williams, there is no such place as Gormanstown. It's called Gormanston.

There was something very strange in William's report. He said something like "The Gardai chased the killers away, and one of them said an Act of Contrition in the victim's ear".

I really thought that he meant one of the killers took the time to pray in the victim's ear, but he meant one of the Gardai. Rather confusing.

Not sure why Gardai would be carrying out religious rituals anyway.

jeremy-paxman-on-the-settee-on-the-set-of-newsnight-05122006-picture-id490711515?s=612x612
    newsnight used to (they used the same set for news night review) but I think they use individual chairs now
    yeah perhaps they are going to relaunch a morning news show? like BBC Breakfast although i know they tried that only a few years ago with 'Morning Edition'

see the sofa used on twip notes very far away on sofa https://www.rte.ie/news/player/the-week-in-politics/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Catriona is looking well. Hope the pregnancy isn't too hard on her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Who was the one with Keelin tonight?

Very impressive I have to say.

The body shapes match nicely, and that’s not being sexist.

Librari throwing on the lumber though..

Not a taste of testerone on tonight... well Cora maybe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Sharon Tobin. Normally does reports or bulletins on the radio.

Pleasant enough but sometimes her voice an be a bit harsh.
    I expect CP will be taking more time off in the future. Ray Kennedy has been standing in a bit lately too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

They really need to get RedBee or someone who knows how to make a good news theme in to do the titles. The set is generally ok but they need a total modernisation of the graphics package and music.

sligojoek wrote: »

I expect CP will be taking more time off in the future. Ray Kennedy has been standing in a bit lately too.

Wouldn’t have any complaints about her at all to be fair.

• Advertisement

Sharon Tobin is a massive upgrade on Perry who acts like the whole show is about her. She's a terrible presenter.

sligojoek wrote: »

Ray Kennedy is a far better newsreader than Perry, the job really should have went to either him or Aonghus McGianna who seems to have walked away from RTE over the whole sorry affair

Ray Kennedy is a far better newsreader than Perry, the job really should have went to either him or Aonghus McGianna who seems to have walked away from RTE over the whole sorry affair

Ray Kennedy is the stud of presenting news. He is top class! He's got the classy look,charisma and speech for it. Perry reads news like she has to concentrate really hard to pronounce all the letters, like she's reading a prayer of the faithful for her confirmation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,694 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

1 thing that really annoys me about Perry is every time she closes a link with a reporter, she always adds a little pointless quip at the end to the reporter she’s just been speaking with

“Still a long way to go then in the negotiations”
    “We’ll see how this one plays out”
    “Looks like there’s more obstacles up ahead on this one”

It’s almost like she’s trying to validate herself/let the viewers know that she knows more about the subject matter of the report than she actually does!

Also, I’ve noticed Tony Connolly has not been around lately, and Sean Whelan has been doing the Brussels reporting! (Both good reporters, but where is Tony gone?)

1 thing that really annoys me about Perry is every time she closes a link with a reporter, she always adds a little pointless quip at the end to the reporter she’s just been speaking with

“Still a long way to go then in the negotiations”
    “We’ll see how this one plays out”
    “Looks like there’s more obstacles up ahead on this one”

It’s almost like she’s trying to validate herself/let the viewers know that she knows more about the subject matter of the report than she actually does!

Also, I’ve noticed Tony Connolly has not been around lately, and Sean Whelan has been doing the Brussels reporting! (Both good reporters, but where is Tony gone?)

First of all I think we need to be a bit fair on Ms Perry, she is not a “bad “ presenter, she, for me anyway,was the wrong choice for this particular role, not be cause she is “bad” but just not really suited for this particular gig.
    Just like John Murray was for a one hour show he had to anchor on his own personality. John is not a bad broadcaster, not great indeed, but definitely not able to sustain a one hour show five days a week.

I just tuned into the 6.1 +1 last nite and immediately felt that Sharon Tobin(as I later discovered her name) and Keelin Shanley gelled much better as a team than the Shanley/Perry team. They even looked more ‘together’ if that makes sense.

On the Sean Whelan subject, I’m sure poor Tony deserves a rest, one of the few RTE personalities who would be poachable by other media outlets.

Noticed Sean being described as a ‘correspondent’ on clips.

Wasn’t he an ‘Editor’ previously .

Is that a step down can anyone tell me?

Or is it something else behind it.

Edit... not suggesting Andy said Perry was a bad presenter by the way.

Just clearing that up tks

Tony is probably resting in reserve for actual real news. Last few days there's been nothing really of note. As we reach towards the deadline, I think it'll go down to the wire so I'd say Tony will be flat out for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭robbKer

This is just one of those things that most people won't even notice but when you do it will be obvious for eternity!

When watching the main presentation desk, in the background is the now infamous 'fake newsroom', a few empty desks which are NEVER occupied (which tbh is kinda ridiculous in itself. Very noticeable on one of the screens on one of the desks is the exact same footage repeating itself over and over: it looks like a black car driving forward and screeching to a halt then it miraculously starts all over again. (looks a little like a scene from Top Gear).

I cannot for the life of me understand why having pumped so much money into a beautiful set that they didn't at least make the scene on the false screen show an extended scene for at least the duration of one full news bulletin rather than the same 30/40 second clip repeating.

Now that your attention has been drawn to it i'll bet it will bug you all for ever more every time you watch the news! :-) Time for a background change RTE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

I think you have to either let reporters be reporters and presenters be presenters.

RTE News is still based on formal bulletins, not rolling news with an interviewing anchor. They're two different skill sets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Ray Kennedy is the stud of presenting news. He is top class! He's got the classy look,charisma and speech for it. Perry reads news like she has to concentrate really hard to pronounce all the letters, like she's reading a prayer of the faithful for her confirmation.

Very apt analogy, she's almost concentrating on maintaining an accent while reading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Just watching now. I'm wondering why Samantha Libreri is in South Africa doing a report on farmers' problems out there. How much did that cost and what bearing has that on us here?

Advertisement