Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ 6.1 News changes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Yeah and the sooner she ****s off again the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,694 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I think Perry will be around for a long time to come now, as she's been projected as a darling of RTÉ, with spreads in the RTÉ guide, as well as the regular featured articles in the Independent. (Stories such as 'It's hard work being a mummy and working full time" & "How I got rid of my baby bump" will be along any time now..).

She'll be on the Late Late Show soon enough I'm sure, as well as a spot on Dancing with the Staff or whatever Z list 'celeb' show RTÉ plan on running in the near future.

Basically, she's set for life if she wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Stewball

lertsnim wrote: »
    Where's Keelin Shanley gone?

I thought she was good. Is she off having a sprog?

• Site Banned Posts: 135 ✭✭Sloppy_Joe

Stewball wrote: »

Unlikely, she's 51. Maybe she requested to be moved as she's not able to hack Perry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭spakman

Stewball wrote: »

Unwell I believe.

• Advertisement

I think Perry will be around for a long time to come now, as she's been projected as a darling of RTÉ, with spreads in the RTÉ guide, as well as the regular featured articles in the Independent. (Stories such as 'It's hard work being a mummy and working full time" & "How I got rid of my baby bump" will be along any time now..).

She'll be on the Late Late Show soon enough I'm sure, as well as a spot on Dancing with the Staff or whatever Z list 'celeb' show RTÉ plan on running in the near future.

Yeah she was only in the 6.1 door before she was off on maternity leave, no doubt RTE offer full pay for the privilege.

We can just live in hope that she will be off again soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,694 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

riemann wrote: »
    We can just live in hope that she will be off again soon.

Miriam 2.0

spakman wrote: »
    Unwell I believe.

Oh no sorry to hear that.

Hopefully it wasn't contagious.

IBasically, she's set for life if she wants.

She also ticks the disability quota with her speech impediment.

Like you say she's untouchable.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Unwell I believe.

She had breast cancer some years ago. I hope it's not that serious again.

• Advertisement

Unwell I believe.

Shame, I quite liked her. Hopefully she gets well and is back on our screens soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭spakman

Oh no sorry to hear that.

Hopefully it wasn't contagious.

Very funny - are you such a dick in real life too or are you just a 'character' on the internet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Very funny - are you such a dick in real life too or are you just a 'character' on the internet?

Both I would think.

• Site Banned Posts: 135 ✭✭Sloppy_Joe

She also ticks the disability quota with her speech impediment.

Like you say she's untouchable.

True. Don't know how someone with a lisp got a newsreaders job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Sadly that will be the case even though she is taking the place of clearly better newsreaders than herself. Sharon Tobin did a superb job while Perry was out but now presumably will fade into the background again with just the odd slot. Vivienne Traynor also much better than Perry. Such is the way in RTE where mediocrity rises to the top and proper talent gets stifled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Unwell I believe.

Very unwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭thesultan

Sharon Tobin is pretty fine too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Ye, not happy to see this fcukwit back on my TV. Might learn sign language and watch that version

I see Sharon ni Bheolains war with Head of News Jon Williams reignited again last week and she walked off the 9 o'clock news yet again before it was due to be broadcast. Like the first time the row was to do with Catriona Perry being scheduled to co-present the 9 o'clock news with Sharon from London
    A feud involving Sharon Ní Bheoláin and her RTÉ boss has erupted again this week.
    On December 12, 2018, Ms Ní Bheoláin and head of current affairs Jon Williams were involved in a blazing newsroom row after which she left the RTÉ studios hours before she was due to present the Nine O’Clock News. The initial row began after Six One presenter Caitríona Perry was chosen to co-anchor the Nine O’Clock News from Westminster on the night of a crucial confidence motion in the then British prime minister Theresa May.

Ms Ní Bheoláin had been rostered to present from the Dublin studio during the broadcast. On Thursday night, December 12, 2019, the day of the most-recent British election, newsroom sources say a similar situation arose. Once again, Ms Perry presented the Six One from London and went on to co-anchor the Nine O’Clock News. Ms Ní Bheoláin was rostered to co-present the Nine O’Clock News from Dublin but failed to appear on screen that night. There was however no overt row this time.

Newsreader Eileen Whelan was drafted in to present the Nine O’Clock News on Thursday, with Ms Perry once again co-anchoring from London. ‘It’s the same issues and a stand-in presenter had to be found,’ a source said. Sources said Ms Ní Bheoláin has not been on talking terms with her boss since the incident last year and nothing had been resolved between them.

‘The relationship has broken down between Sharon Ní Bheoláin and Jon Williams – they haven’t spoken in a year,’ one RTÉ insider said. But an RTÉ spokeswoman denied this claim. ‘It is categorically untrue that Sharon and Jon have not spoken in a year,’ she said.

Following the incident last year, Ms Ní Bheoláin told the Irish Mail on Sunday she had lodged a complaint against Mr Williams. ‘Arising out of events… I initiated a formal grievance procedure with RTÉ. Until the matter is dealt with through the appropriate channels, it would be very unwise for me to comment.’ However, the source says that the complaint has since ‘fizzled out’ and ‘nothing was ever resolved’. A separate RTÉ source said: ‘Obviously things will fester when they’re not resolved… especially when the same situations arise.’ The Mail on Sunday understands there was an offer of mediation last year but that seems to have brought no resolution to the matter. ‘There was an offer of mediation but it was internal not external, to be overseen by an RTÉ person, and therefore not seen as independent by her,’ an insider added.

Asked why Ms Ní Bheoláin didn’t present the news as rostered, an RTÉ spokesperson said: ‘We will not be commenting.’
    https://evoke.ie/2019/12/15/showbiz/sharon-ni-bheolain-news-feud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,441 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

catriona showing her quality interviewing limerick td's . now I know it's probably like herding cats but she was truly awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

catriona showing her quality interviewing limerick td's . now I know it's probably like herding cats but she was truly awful.

Hadn't a clue how to handle them. At one stage she threw a look at the camera, almost pleading for someone to step in and sort them out for her.

Having said that, that FG guy came across as an ignorant so and so. Talked over every single contribution from the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

But she seemed totally shocked at how they behaved. As if she expected them to stand there and politely let everyone have their speak in turn. And she looked cold and tired too.

She was completely out of her depth during that interview with the four of them last night and the look to camera begging to be recused by the producer back in RTE said it all. Of course they were going to be like a bag of cats but a good interviewer knows techniques to keep them in line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Sharon Ní Bheoláins wardrobe leaves a lot to be desired.... Wide bell bottom trousers from the 1970s and that silly pout of hers, dollybird hair styles, a silly faux "husky voice", plus a big dollop of affectation, all makes for a very unwatchable RTE news bulletin @9pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Sharon Ní Bheoláins wardrobe leaves a lot to be desired.... Wide bell bottom trousers from the 1970s and that silly pout of hers, dollybird hair styles, a silly faux "husky voice", plus a big dollop of affectation, all makes for a very unwatchable RTE news bulletin @9pm.

Agree
    Never quite got the fascination/attraction over Sharon Ebolatron
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,441 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

pink leather jacket and big flouncy pink skirt tonight doing an election special, really !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Sharon's still very watchable all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

ruwithme wrote: »
    Sharon's still very watchable all the same

Nahhhh Jean Byrne all the way :P

Does anyone else think Sean Whelan is terrible as the London correspondent?

His feed back to the studio is always poor - the colour tone is always rubbish.
    During the British election it was another lad who done the heavy lifting getting out interviewing people etc. (Think his name was Dimitri O'Donnell)

• Advertisement

Shes always had a bit of a mad sense of fashion, sure remember when she went out on the streets of Clontarf to walk the dog in her PJs

2014-02-24-13.58.30-e1393250633329-768x1024.jpg

She later rang up Joe Duffy about those photos and called herself as "looking like a dogs dinner". Then I think it was Irish Pictorial Weekly who did the Sharon ni Volatron sketch and they incorporated the dogs dinner quote into it :D

Advertisement