Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pins and needles in hands

Options
  • 26-10-2017 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭

Getting slight pains in hands when cycling and doesn't take much cycling.

When I bought the bike they checked saddle,brake's,levers etc with me on it.

Since then with a fella who knows bikes we've looked at and changed position and height of saddle and brakes lever etc. Also changed to one of those air saddles from lidl

He's saying next thing to do is go with foam grips, would this be the way to go? If so,any recommendations? Seen Ritchey WCS get good reviews and not silly money

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Possibly due to compression of your median nerve.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1235

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Don't want to be over kill here but you sure it's the bike. Have you considered speaking to your doctor? Might be a sign of poor circulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

TallGlass wrote: »
    Don't want to be over kill here but you sure it's the bike. Have you considered speaking to your doctor? Might be a sign of poor circulation.

Im open to all suggestions.

Ive type two diabetes and the mother says that causes pins and needles. Forgot no medical advice, I must say it when im in with the doctor next

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I got that for a bit then changed to this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/lizard-skins-dsp-3-2mm-bar-tape/rp-prod120524

Found it a lot better, if you can raise the handlebars higher too that helps. Gel padded gloves too

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

What gloves do you wear? I get the same when using certain types of mitts which maybe are a bit too padded or poorly assembled. Try a lighter mitt or glove and see if it improves. I kept my padded/gel mitts but i dont wear them on a ride that lasts longer than 2 hours as its a slightly annoying issue.

If not, check your bike position and handlebar setup. Maybe something off there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there was discussion of similar in a recent thread where gloves were also mentioned, where the padding may have been poorly positioned for your hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

If your not doing it already I'd suggest some core work (sit ups etc) try strengthen the stomach muscles so your not putting all the pressure on your arms and hands.

as the above poster says, it may be that you need to improve your core strength so you are not putting too much weight on your hands.

Try relaxing your grip a bit and when on the straight, taking one hand off and stretching your fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

This is not uncommon. When you get tired it's natural to shift more weight on to your wrists and hands. Watch the position of your hands on the bars. Your wrist should be mostly straight. Switch positions on the bar more often. Strengthen your core to take the weight off your hands. Whatever the shop did, you may need to do further adjustments to get your position right. Lastly you can look at getting another bar, replacing the grips with something like Ergons that encourage you not to bend your wrists, or look at gel gloves to keep the pressure off the nerve.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Try dropping ur saddle a bit and look at the length of ur stem.
    If you havnt allready, get a pro bike fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Have you a tight rugsack or clothing to tight or pinching on your upper arms, anywhere from your elbows to your shoulders? Hope you get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Trying to sort the saddle,waiting on part to change from quick release clamp as keeps siding. Hopefully that's one less.

Changed from stock to one of those lidl saddles and trying different position and angle. Funny was comfy,tilted back down and uncomfortable down there

Seems its all learning and finding the little things that make a big difference

Advertisement