Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breastfeeding while out and about.

Options
  • 26-10-2017 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭

Hi we’re coming to Ireland next week so our 2 mth old can meet his Irish family. My OH is wondering about breastfeeding while we are out, in cafes restaurants public seating areas etc is it acceptable and normal practice? Similar to uk?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Legally speaking your allowed to nurse wherever the mother is allowed to be, so you can't be kicked out of any where/told to stop nursing.

From personal experience, I've never had any issues feeding in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yeah its no bother.. Ive never had any issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Absolutely, you're legally entitled to breast feed so you have the law on your side. I've breastfed two babies and fed them anywhere and anywhere and never had an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

That’s great, thanks all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Ifv she has a sense of humour I love those knitted hats that look like a boob - think they are brill for the "sensitive" ejjits out there who can't differentiate breasts for sexual pleasure from breasts for doing their primary function of feeding an infant. I've breastfed all mine without ever once encountering any backlash though. A well placed shawl or blanket will give her a sense if privacy if she so desires. Just in case she's struggling some shopping centres have designated rooms but please do not let her feel.as if she has to go the bathroom to feed in private

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It is pretty much the exact same as the UK for breastfeeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Never had an issue in the UK or Ireland and I breastfed until my son was 15.5 months. We did get a few funny looks on our last trip home because my son is very big for his age and looked older, but no real negative reactions ever. I never bothered with a cover after he was about 2-3 weeks old because he just hated it and by wearing a relatively loose t-shirt nobody would see anything anyway.

Advertisement