Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance on partner's car

Options
  • 26-10-2017 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

So, my partner has bought a starter car and is currently finishing her 12 lessons before she sits her test. I have 4 years NCB on my own policy on my car and my insurance is up for renewal.

If I use my 4 years NCB to insure myself as the main driver on her car and her as named driver can I then still drive my own car under third party insurance?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

The third party driving of cars usually applies to cars that you don't own, so that is a no.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Golf4GolfGti

delly wrote: »
    The third party driving of cars usually applies to cars that you don't own, so that is a no.

Thanks Delly. Is it possible to insure myself on two cars then and have her as named driver on both. Basically looking for the most economical way of getting her on the road. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Thanks Delly. Is it possible to insure myself on two cars then and have her as named driver on both. Basically looking for the most economical way of getting her on the road. Any suggestions?

That's fronting and isn't allowed. Plus you'd be starting on a zero ncb on the second car so it's going to be expensive anyway.

She has to take out the policy herself however having you named should reduce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Best thing for her is to add you as a named driver on her policy. Other than that having a full licence will give a very small discount. That's about it. She'll just have to bite the bullet. Once she gets 1 year NCB she'll get a hefty discount, possibly up to €1,000 off depending on the initial quote. Having my mam on my policy drops it by several hundred.

Is home/contents insurance an option for some sort of multi policy discount?

Has to be done at some stage unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

this is a total scam with insuring a second car, having a NCB on each, when all loading is done on the driver, if anyhting a second car shoube be much cheaper to insure as it not possibel to drive tow cars at the same time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Notch000 wrote:
    this is a total scam with insuring a second car, having a NCB on each, when all loading is done on the driver, if anyhting a second car shoube be much cheaper to insure as it not possibel to drive tow cars at the same time

The OP was looking to have 2 cars covered with 2 people able to drive at the same time under the 1 policy

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Declare yerselves a company and get fleet insurance!

:D

Advertisement