Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get Netflix cheaper - SEE OP FOR DETAILS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Quackster wrote: »
    If you've had Revolut a while, it's likely that your cards are coded as prepaid rather than debit and Netflix doesn't accept prepaid cards.

The safest thing to do is to create a new virtual Revolut card for use with Netflix as it'll definitely be coded as a debit card.

Before Revolut switched from Visa Debit to Mastercard for virtual cards this was the case. Doesn't seem to be an issue now. Spotify wouldn't accept the virtual visa debits for their new member deals, but the mastercard virtual goes through grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭snoopy84

Generally, am I right in saying that if I want to keep the normal wifi (which various appliances are hooked up to), but want the US VPN for Netflix, the easiest way to go about this would be to add a small travel router to the Virgin Media modem, and openvpn set up to broadcast an independent US wifi signal for the TV to connect to?

You could use a fire stick and add a vpn to that

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Before Revolut switched from Visa Debit to Mastercard for virtual cards this was the case. Doesn't seem to be an issue now. Spotify wouldn't accept the virtual visa debits for their new member deals, but the mastercard virtual goes through grand.
    Yeah, the newest iteration of Revolut MasterCard is debit but older MasterCards are prepaid (have a few on my account).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

I have now tried a second virtual Revolut card with same results,
    "There appears to be a problem with the payment method you are trying to use".

Meh.

Ps, I tried it once. I did not keep repeating process to hit attempt limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I'm cancelling my card that I use but it won't let me change to a revolut, keep getting error. Don't want to push it too much. Tried virtual and physical card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

TheDriver wrote: »
    I'm cancelling my card that I use but it won't let me change to a revolut, keep getting error. Don't want to push it too much. Tried virtual and physical card.

Are you still under an Irish subscription?

Or is your account currently cancelled?

Kolido wrote: »
    Are you still under an Irish subscription?

Or is your account currently cancelled?

I'm in Turkey years and it's working fine. It's the credit card I'm cancelling so I can't use it anymore

As an update, I recalled I had another account from 3 years ago I used for the month free trial. So it's still active so I tried to verify the number. No go. Tried other numbers in the house, no go.
    So I got onto chat. Apparently the account is in a different country and hence it can't send the text. But this account was only used for 1 month free trial in Ireland. I gave up.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭snoopy84

Are you "in" turkey while your trying to change payment method? Could be the vpn.

snoopy84 wrote: »
    Are you "in" turkey while your trying to change payment method? Could be the vpn.

Interesting. Could I change my payment method without the VPN I wonder?
    But then why can't I do my phone number on that old account when it was always Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭banie01

For those who're trying to add a new card to their Turkish(or anywhere) account.
    The best way to do this is IME, contact Netflix via their chat service and ask for the in-chat card update service.
    The agent will send open an applet in chat that you enter your new card details in.

I've done this twice, once to change from CDC to Binance(as my CDC card cancelled during upgrade process) and again today, to switch back from Binance to CDC.

Enable VPN, open netflix chat window and ask.
    It is the easiest way to circumvent the lock on card changes rather than just repeatedly trying and hoping.
    I don't know why it works in chat applet but not via account settings, but in my sample of 2 it worked via chat 100% ;)

banie01 wrote: »
    For those who're trying to add a new card to their Turkish(or anywhere) account.
    The best way to do this is IME, contact Netflix via their chat service and ask for the in-chat card update service.
    The agent will send open an applet in chat that you enter your new card details in.

I've done this twice, once to change from CDC to Binance(as my CDC card cancelled during upgrade process) and again today, to switch back from Binance to CDC.

Enable VPN, open netflix chat window and ask.
    It is the easiest way to circumvent the lock on card changes rather than just repeatedly trying and hoping.
    I don't know why it works in chat applet but not via account settings, but in my sample of 2 it worked via chat 100% ;)

Did they care or ask any questions?

Did they care or ask any questions?

Their only pushback was that the payment was being rejected on my side.
    Told them I'd checked with CDC who confirmed payment authorisation had not even been presented.
    I asked nicely, that the last this happened the agent let try update the card via chat and just to completely rule out Netflix as the issue could I please just give that a try again.

If it went thru great, if it didn't I'd get back on to my bank.

Their only pushback was that the payment was being rejected on my side.
    Told them I'd checked with CDC who confirmed payment authorisation had not even been presented.
    I asked nicely, that the last this happened the agent let try update the card via chat and just to completely rule out Netflix as the issue could I please just give that a try again.

If it went thru great, if it didn't I'd get back on to my bank.

Very interesting. I might try that. What's the worst that can happen I wonder? You can simply be working in Turkey but still have your Irish bank acc eg working at the embassy.

Very interesting. I might try that. What's the worst that can happen I wonder? You can simply be working in Turkey but still have your Irish bank acc eg working at the embassy.

The issue of where I was or the country code of my card never came up but working in Turkey would have been how I dealt with it.

The issue of where I was or the country code of my card never came up but working in Turkey would have been how I dealt with it.

Chanced my arm but to no avail. Nice agent but basically it failed because it's not an accepted method of payment. Couldn't argue anymore with that.

EDIT: I tried again and it turns out only credit cards can be done through chat.
    I wonder what happens when your debit card will expire, can you just update the expiry date and CVV or will it decline it?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Setanter

I did another one today.

VPN unlimited, Revolut, cancelled in Ireland a month ago, Revolut and phone number added after cancellation in Ireland and before move to Turkey.

Works every time with that formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭Goose81

I cancelled my Irish Netflix last month and it's due to expire in a few days

It's so confusing reading this thread, do you need to use revolut now or does Irish cards not work?

Reading through the last few pages makes it seem like the first post is now not a valid way to do it..

I was under the impression I could just follow the instructions on the first page and it was fine once you had a Turkish VPN you could use an Irish Bank card

First posts indicated you could just keep using the same payment method you were already using if you had the account a while..

Setanter wrote: »
    I did another one today.

VPN unlimited, Revolut, cancelled in Ireland a month ago, Revolut and phone number added after cancellation in Ireland and before move to Turkey.

Works every time with that formula.

Can I ask why you added rev and a phone after cancellation rather than before cancellation? Was it a different payment method than the one used for the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Chanced my arm but to no avail. Nice agent but basically it failed because it's not an accepted method of payment. Couldn't argue anymore with that.

EDIT: I tried again and it turns out only credit cards can be done through chat.
    I wonder what happens when your debit card will expire, can you just update the expiry date and CVV or will it decline it?

Hi Driver. After reading your efforts I was inspired to chance changing my payment card although it is already Revlout.

But due to expire in 2022.

I have a new Rainbow card expiring in July 2025 so figured it would be great if this could be added to give me payment until then at least!

I went onto Chat & asked to update.

The Agent requested verification of my personal details, all good.

Then sent me a secure form for the new card number but she said that this failed.

I groaned inwardly, thinking I'd stuffed the account up now!! :eek::confused:

Then she asked for the old card details on another secure form.

Once this was entered she sent another form for the new card, this time with full details to be entered - name, CVV, Number, & expiry.

I immediately got a notification for a TL1 deduction to Netflix.

Success! :)

All sorted within 5 minutes!

It might be worth trying again as there is clearly no issue with adding a Revolut card.

Mine starts with 4350 & is coded as a Debit card.

Hope that helps someone.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭curranbaz

Just wanted 2 add my experience here in the hope it helps others! Had the Turkish sub until approximately this time last year when my Revolut card expired & couldn't renew as was getting the errors about payment problem after updating with new Revolut card! After several tries I gave up & paid 4 the Irish sub!

So when I got email last month about price increase decided it was time 2 try again with a Turkish sub! So cancelled my Irish sub and waited 4 it 2 expire! Had been following this thread so when it came time to renew I signed out of Netflix on all devices (link) fired up my keepsolid VPN & opened an incognito window & signed into Netflix but again got payment error when tried to restart membership! Tried app as others had suggested but still no joy!

Was fearful of locking out payment method & resigned 2 re-sub on Irish Netflix & try switching 2 Turkish next month so decided to change payment method 4 next month as was using Revolut visa debit card!

Created new virtual MasterCard debit card, turned off VPN and signed into Irish Netflix and edited payment details 2 new card. Clicked restart but payment didn't go through as hadn't sufficient funds on my Revolut (blessing in disguise)!

Decided 2 give Turkish sub one more go (sure why not) but this time turned on Winscribe VPN & signed in on app and successfully renewed membership! Don't know whether it was the VPN r the MasterCard debit card that did the trick but either way I'm happy!

TLDR: Added Revolut MasterCard debit card on Irish Netflix, got declined payment for insufficient funds, then successfully restarted membership via Winscribe VPN!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I remember trying to do this a couple years ago but no joy. Has worked for me there now. The key is to have everything sorted before you attempt to renew through the Turkish VPN. I used Curve as payment method.

Cost me €5.11 for Premium Plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Anyone know does this method work for Disney+? My annual sub will renew on March for €69 but in Argentina it’s €33

jarvis wrote: »
    Anyone know does this method work for Disney+? My annual sub will renew on March for €69 but in Argentina it’s €33

Blunt answer is no.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭galldar

I temporarily froze my BOI card, then rang them again to unfreeze it the other day, no problem they said, back active again.
    Message from Netflix today, card declined. Called BOI, they hadn’t unfrozen it completely. Unlocked now, but Netflix still won’t accept the card :mad:

On a side note, I noticed that Turkey now works at playing Netflix. On vpnunlimited, I get Japan, Brazil, US, Italy and Turkey working for actual playing of Netflix. They had a few things I hadn't seen on our Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

My Irish netflix expires in a couple of days. Added revolut card successfully.

Do i need to add turkish lira, or will they just take the fee from my euro balance?

Stay Free

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Best bet for Disney is try share with family.
    I have it with 2 of my brothers so works out at €20 odd per year. We just create 3 different profiles and it’s only for the kids so no privacy issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Lol I came on to ask this exact question

• Advertisement

I wonder has Netflix changed it's stance on VPNs. Before you could only use a dedicated netflix US server on a VPN otherwise it would be detected.
    But now I am finding it will work for most countries and not just the dedicated netflix vpn option. But having said that, there isn't a difference compared to before though US still has some movies etc that we don't eg Indiana Jones, James Bond etc

Advertisement