Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get Netflix cheaper - SEE OP FOR DETAILS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,258 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Basq wrote: »
    Even just throw a FAQ together for the first post.. and indicate "Refer to post #1" in thread title.

I'll do up one later when I've a bit of time...

good man yourself Basq

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Guys so sorry for another question but tunnelbear is not working for me, i used hola but when i select turkey from the drop down menu it is sending me to hola plus page to pay and upgrade, has anyone has this issue, maybe i am using the wrong hol

Guys so sorry for another question but tunnelbear is not working for me, i used hola but when i select turkey from the drop down menu it is sending me to hola plus page to pay and upgrade, has anyone has this issue, maybe i am using the wrong hola

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

€4.57 this month, up from €4 last month. Also payment is listed as "Netflix Amsterdam".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

€4.57 this month, up from €4 last month. Also payment is listed as "Netflix Amsterdam".

The TL has gained sightly, what was €1 was 7TL this day last month, it dropped to 6.09TL earlier this week, the good news is today it's looking like 6.22TL

I'm no expert in economics but I'd say it's a bit to do with oil and a bit to do with brexit causing a small amount of fluctuation with the euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ExcaliburRisen

Have followed the steps above and have setup my Netflix account on the Turkey site. When I get to the the payment page I am having an issue with my payment details not being recognized.
    I've tried using my Revolut card details and also my own Bank's Visa Debit. I just keep getting the message "Something went wrong. Please try again later."

The price is showing in Turkish Lira so I'm pretty sure I'm still on the Turkey site. I've tried a number of VPNs (Hola, TunnelBear, TouchVPN). I even signed up for ExpressVPN but their Turkey option was pointing to Germany.
    I've tried clearing history, cookies, incognito/private mode in Chrome/Firefox on both an Android phone and a Windows 10 PC.

Any suggestions on something else I can try to resolve?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

You know we're in the **** here when we're having to explain the concept of exchange rate fluctuations to people.

Also, can any future Q&A or pinned post please, for the love of God, scream IN MASSIVE CAPS that you get the content based on the region you connect from, not where you pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Philster

Have followed the steps above and have setup my Netflix account on the Turkey site. When I get to the the payment page I am having an issue with my payment details not being recognized.
    I've tried using my Revolut card details and also my own Bank's Visa Debit. I just keep getting the message "Something went wrong. Please try again later."

The price is showing in Turkish Lira so I'm pretty sure I'm still on the Turkey site. I've tried a number of VPNs (Hola, TunnelBear, TouchVPN). I even signed up for ExpressVPN but their Turkey option was pointing to Germany.
    I've tried clearing history, cookies, incognito/private mode in Chrome/Firefox on both an Android phone and a Windows 10 PC.

Any suggestions on something else I can try to resolve?
    I seem to be having the same problem. First time trying to sign up via another countries Netflix and it's not accepting my Revolut or N26 card. Tried Argentina and Turkey. Have tried ExpressVPN which I have anyway and also tried Hola. The plans show up with the correct currency but when I enter card details I get that there was an issue with my payment method. Like you I've cleared all my cookies, browser history etc. These cards aren't associated with any other Netflix account.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    The card being associated with another Netflix account makes no difference, it’s more than likely a vpn issue and if you go back a few pages you will see other people have had the same problem and it’s been vpn related, one person said it was all set up fine and later realised the vpn was showing America, someone else was trying to pay for a Turkish sub and their current sub was still running.

Check the vpn is 100% showing you as being in turkey

Visit a site like What Is My IP Address and jot down your actual ISP-provided IP address.
    Log in to your VPN, choose an exit server in another country (or use whichever exit server you prefer) and verify you're connected.
    Go back to What Is My IP Address and check your IP address again.
    Thanks for reply. Sorry I should have said that I read the issues with the other people with VPN. I get that it must be really annoying with the same questions and issues coming up all the time in the shame thread and as suggested an FAQ as first post would be a really great idea.

But, I still cannot get this to work. I've tried ExpressVPN, Hola, Tunnelbear and Touch VPN. Each time I am connected to the correct country and I am definitely in the Argentina/ Mexico/ Turkey site. Each time Netflix opens in the language of that country and the correct currency etc opens up. I've done what you said re my IP address and each time I am connected to the correct VPN for the correct country. But my payment keeps being rejected. I've tried different browsers, my macbook and ipad. I'm used to using VPN but I honestly cannot figure out what is going wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Rainislove

Try with revolut virtual card. It should work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The virtual and physical card have the same details don’t they ?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Philster wrote: »
    The card being associated with another Netflix account makes no difference, it’s more than likely a vpn issue and if you go back a few pages you will see other people have had the same problem and it’s been vpn related, one person said it was all set up fine and later realised the vpn was showing America, someone else was trying to pay for a Turkish sub and their current sub was still running.

Visit a site like What Is My IP Address and jot down your actual ISP-provided IP address.
    Log in to your VPN, choose an exit server in another country (or use whichever exit server you prefer) and verify you're connected.
    Thanks for reply. Sorry I should have said that I read the issues with the other people with VPN. I get that it must be really annoying with the same questions and issues coming up all the time in the shame thread and as suggested an FAQ as first post would be a really great idea.

But, I still cannot get this to work. I've tried ExpressVPN, Hola, Tunnelbear and Touch VPN. Each time I am connected to the correct country and I am definitely in the Argentina/ Mexico/ Turkey site. Each time Netflix opens in the language of that country and the correct currency etc opens up. I've done what you said re my IP address and each time I am connected to the correct VPN for the correct country. But my payment keeps being rejected. I've tried different browsers, my macbook and ipad. I'm used to using VPN but I honestly cannot figure out what is going wrong.

Has your subscription definitely expired?

Sounds very strange, if the vpn is working there can’t be much else wrong
    Check the Revolut app in regard to security settings
    Sign out of Netflix clear history etc and try again
    Rainislove wrote: »
    Try with revolut virtual card. It should work
    Has your subscription definitely expired?
    I know now that the issue is VPN and not Revolut. Checked all settings with Revolut and also tried the virtual card and neither worked. Cleared all history etc. and again can get as far as the payment and then declined. Everything again comes up in Spanish with the correct currency and then payment declined. Tried N26 again and also rejected. Never had a subscription before with the Revolut card as it's new so that wasn't an issue.

Tried some other VPN services and none of them worked :confused:

So, signed up to free Irish subscription this morning with my Revolut card and it was accepted so the issue must be VPN, but damned if I can figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've been using various VPN/DNS providers for years and never had a problem like this. Was only trying to get subscription for the parents as they are complaining that there is never anything on tv for them to watch. Thinking about it Netflix mightn't have much content for them anyway, so going to leave it for now.

Hola is the one most people have had success with, try and use a trial and then cancel or even someone else’s computer just to see if that works.
    With regard to your parents finding nothing on tv, that’s the way things are now for everyone, maybe try itv bbc 4OD players and combine that with netflix they would have plenty to watch
    Regular live tv is terrible.
    Tried Hola numerous times and with different browsers. I'll see if I can borrow a laptop and try with that. Just didn't get a chance over the weekend.

I've actually bought them an Amazon Firestick so will set up with what you suggest as have run out of space for anymore boxsets for them :pac: Thanks again for your help. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Not exactly new news but pulled out a old now tv box over the weekend and netflix app is now available to download.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭richie.c

I had the same issue with revolut. Tried hola on pc and it wanted me to sign up to access Netflix. Tried tunnelbear and it had no option for Turkey. Tried speedify and got through the sign up but would not accept the card. All this was on the laptop.
    Switched to the phone and tried hola there. This time I did not have to sign up. Got to checkout and again the revolut card was refused.
    Went in to revolut and created a new virtual card. The one it created was a visa card (the first one was MasterCard). Inputted the new card details and it worked.
    Hope that helps someone

• Registered Users Posts: 43,862 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Quick and dirty FAQ here - anyone want to amend or add to it?
    Q: What’s this about cheap Netflix subscriptions?
    A: Yes, if you purchase and/or setup renewal of Netflix in another country using the likes of a VPN, you’ll then pay for Netflix in that currency.

Q: What’s this VPN deal-i-o?
    A: Essentially it’ll spoof your IP Address to appear that you’re in another country. There are many paid ones and free ones - including HolaVPN.

Q: OK.. I’m with you. I’m an existing Netflix subscriber in Ireland - what do I do?
    A: You need to cancel your recurring subscription on the Netflix site, then wait it has lapsed, and then re-activate using a VPN.

Q: I haven’t subscribed to Netflix yet - what do I do?
    A: How’s life been in that cave for the past 10 years? :D You could subscribe with your VPN open, or subscribe without (to UK/Ireland) for a month and follow question above essentially.

Q: OK, I’ve subscribed now - what do I do with the VPN? Leave it open..
    A: If you’re using HolaVPN.. GOD NO… disable it / remove it / take it out back and shoot it in the face. You’re set up your recurring payment, you don’t need it anymore.

If you’re using a paid VPN, you don’t need it to browse just because you’re set up payment in a different country. Disable it to access UK/Irish catalogue and / or enable it if you want to access say Netflix in another country. If you know how to do this, you’ve probably no need to read this FAQ! :)

Q: Hold on, I was charged €3 last month and was charged €3.40 this month.
    A: Remember, you’re paying in a foreign currency so it will fluctuate - but it should still work out considerably cheaper.

Q: What’s the cheapest to pay in at the minute?
    A: I’m not sure but I’m assuming it’s still Turkish Lira but as above, it can fluctuate. Spreadsheet here indicating current conversions between local currencies and euro may help you decide.

Q: Can I get it even cheaper?
    A: Well, you can add a Revolut card and pay via that. Just ensure it’s topped up.

Another tip is topping up your Revolut account considerably (say enough for a year's sub) while exchange rate is in your favour, and then it'll be deducted from that.

Oh, and there is a Revolut thread here full of helpful people to help with any questions you may have on specifics of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Include a link to the spreadsheet be handy

• Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Great FAQ.

I’d also add to the fluctuation part that if you use Revolut and buy the currency at a particular time it won’t fluctuate. I.e buy the exact amount of currency 3/4/6/12 months at once. And even if Netflix get wise you can exchange this back to euro to use at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

there is an echo lol

Hah sorry I had opened the reply window wrote my reply and then got distracted by something else.

What also might be nice to add is a link to the Revolut thread, a lot of questions that crop up here are about Revolut itself and not necessarily related to this deal

• Advertisement

No worries, just a shame I can’t help you solve the problem
    Box sets are great viewing these days with bigger budgets and good characters, I remember downloading them myself and then all of a sudden mates want them and next thing I’m spending all my spare time getting other people’s library filled.
    I have a few apps now and just stream everything and Netflix is a handy back up to have.
    And it's worked... the one thing I hadn't tried was Hola on the phone (didn't work on iPad or laptop). But it worked on the phone! All sorted- thanks for your help. Guess the parents are getting Netflix whether they want it or not. :D

Edit: I had tried all the other VPNs on laptop/ iPad and phone and no success. Only Hola on the iPhone worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,347 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Just signed up there now to the premium plan.

Used free Hola VPN app on Android phone.
    Set it to Turkey.
    Opened incognito page on Firefox.
    Used Revolut virtual card. The first couple of times it said there was an issue with the payment but it accepted then.
    39.99 TL per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭corks finest

ya €6.46 for me here using Turkey & Revolut. Not overly fussed a euro here nor there
    Same e 6 .46

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

should be (I hope) no more random questions or problems now

You a betting man? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Just signed up there now to the premium plan.

Used free Hola VPN app on Android phone.
    Set it to Turkey.
    Opened incognito page on Firefox.
    Used Revolut virtual card. The first couple of times it said there was an issue with the payment but it accepted then.
    39.99 TL per month.

Can confirm payment due today and paid 6.46 euro using revolut

Ok so downloaded the hola vpn app as in the link on the faq and still being sent to subscribe page to change vpn, anyone else having this issue?

Subscribe then

Does that not defeat the purpose?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ExcaliburRisen

Just a quick update that I was finally able to get the Payment details accepted. Used Hola app on Android and after a couple of tries it finally accepted my Revolut card. :)

I’m assuming it is hola asking you to subscribe to change vpn ?

If you follow the steps correctly it will work

Thank you I didn’t notice the free trial which I used and worked perfectly on my phone, now just need to cancel the subscription to hola, cheers guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭chases0102

Hi folks,

Great thread that I've just discovered. Been a Netlifx subcriber for years, and now that I have my new 4K TV, looking to upgrade.

Quick question - can I go through the steps in the FAQ and just pay using my BOI Debit card as normal? Does it have to be Revolut? The Mexican version is cheap enough as it is, that'll do just perfectly.

Advertisement